Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   2019 Turbo S - Review and Quality Pics (Initial and Ongoing) (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/1140947-2019-turbo-s-review-and-quality-pics-initial-and-ongoing.html)

vtknight 04-30-2019 05:43 PM

2019 Turbo S - Review and Quality Pics (Initial and Ongoing)

Hi everyone,

I am very excited to begin my new car life as a Porsche owner. I have been a Porsche fan since birth as my Father was a mega car enthusiast, and he brought me up in that fashion. It didn't hurt that he was half German lol. For all of my adolescent life I wanted a Porsche Turbo S. I feel it is safe to say that I know a great deal about the history of the platform and lineage of the Manufaktur.

I can start my initial review by saying the 2019 991.2 Porsche Turbo S does not disappoint.

Picking up the car from Pfaff Porsche in Ontario Canada - was a treat. Thomas Tsang, my Sales Professional, was extremely educated in all things Porsche and most importantly took the time to ensure I had all of the information I could ever want - to effectively choose the Porsche of my dreams. He took me through the purchasing of the car, picking options, changed out my side lights without pay and then kept me appraised of the entire delivery process - until it arrived on site at the Autohaus. He even helped me arrange transport of the car to my Detailer, amazingly talented Daniel Dragas from Dragas Auto Gallery (who hired the photographer, Adam Malthaner, to take the amazing quality pictures you see here - the other low-res pictures are mine lol). Thomas is the best there is.

It didn't stop there with Pfaff however.

Dave Goodyear, one of the Senior Technicians of Pfaff, looked after my car until I picked it up and has been handling it every since - he is both skilled and friendly - making sure my car gets the best care possible. My car only goes to him.

Finally, there is Jerome Hylton, who runs the Parts Department - and helped me to understand how my car worked, helped me with some great swag and ensured that my customer experience was second to none.

Perhaps most importantly, Porsche and Pfaff - got it RIGHT lol. All of my options and even more importantly the fit and finish was amazing. Not squeaks or rattles - more on that in a moment.
Pfaff is the best for a reason; they are the best representative of Porsche in all of Canada.

I did send a letter to Porsche Germany - even translated it into German. I din't get a response. That was disappointing.

As I am breaking in the car, this is an Initial Review: (much more info and testing to come).

The overall quality of the Porsche brand is readily accessible; the materials - from the real aluminum interior door handles to the quality carbon fibre is exemplary. The GT silver is beautiful in my opinion; with a deep flake. And Porsche paint is very smooth - the quality (which I know wasn't always the case) was top notch. Seats are very comfortable (I was worried as I got the cooled seats that they would be too hard - was not the case).They are super supportive (18 way power) and comfortable. I went with the standard black leather with no extended leather option, but I did go with the full deviated stitch package, picking Bordeaux red - adding seat belts and all of the gauges in the same colour (hard to see in the pics). Overall, I love the layout of the 991.2. No disrespect to the new 992 owners - but I really love the gauge cluster - especially them being purely analog and the overall "traditional" look (yes I know the 992 is based on a 70's Porsche layout).

While driving, the car simply exudes sportiness. It feels compact, wide and low to the ground (despite the 991's additional size). The suspension, even it's most comfortable setting is very capable.

It also exudes luxury; the newer cars are definitely much more GT now - and happily for me - for where I am in life, I am good with that. Cabin noise is minimal, even at speed, I do hear some wind noise on highway cruises - but nothing outside what would be expected. Engine noise is just right for me - even in Comfort/O (and even better in Sport and Sport+). Exhaust note is muted - but I like the burble. In Sport+ it is enough for me - but I can see many people upgrading for an increased growl.

The PDK Transmission is the best in the world - bar none - for a DCT. I honestly cannot believe it. My ZF transmission in the BMW M5 CE is very smooth - but no where as quick. The smoothness of the Turbo S is almost equivalent to the BMW however.
Road noise is minimal. What the car is...in a word - is SMOOTH. My 80 year old Mother - her first comment was it was luxury car smooth. My Wife loved the car for the smoothness and luxury - so it's a win for me.
Handling; is other-worldly. With the rear-steer - the car just feels that it can handle any canyon or curve you throw at it...easily. My previous C7 Z06 has excellent handling, but it didn't perform that handling as smoothly or easily as the Turbo S. Slow maneuvers are also a cinch - due to the rear steer. It is a very useful solution.

Power; as I am breaking the car in - I cannot fully comment - having only just started to rev to 4K RPM at 500 miles. But being pretty familiar with power with my previous modded cars (about 3000 HP between the two) - I can tell you the car is very quick. It pulls much harder and with less power-interruption than my daily F90 Competition. With the rumour that the 2019 Turbo S's have the 607 HP tune from the Exclusive - it will be interesting to see what the third party testing results are - it certainly feels it. For driving on highway or curvy roads, there is no doubt that the 991.2 Turbo S is a lot of car and can and will do what you ask of it. I was fortunate to score the Michelin PS4's - that was a bonus (my M5 CE has the Pirelli PZero's - which I am NOT happy with). Interestingly, this is one of a very few cars that I just enjoy being in - no matter what I am doing or how I am driving. Traffic, long drives in the country, city driving etc. It is an amazing drivers car in all situations. The cabin feels special and I don't want to get out of it - finding excuses to get back into to the car - even for a short cruise.

As an individual, I am very happy not to attract attention. That said - this car can get some - although it isn't constant. I would say it is 50/50 that someone will notice or stare at the car versus ignore it. Finally - I want to end with the fact I can tell this is a special car. Being fair this is my first "Exotic" ownership experience - but I have driven most of the Exotics out there - and like those, it does feel special compared to your upper level average car.

Much more review to come - with testing. I am very excited to join the Porsche community as a new owner and member.

Cheers!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...340a42fa6a.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...db69649e03.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...deffed0313.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...25c3c23a0b.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3feb8a2465.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ae6a6feeb6.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2d43036fa1.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0b6e84658d.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...33740b8f5f.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c5a5147a1d.jpg

GordyRay 04-30-2019 06:07 PM

Howdy vtKnight:
Congratulations on your beautiful Turbo S. Car is amazing. Enjoy this beast. I take delivery of my new Turbo in June. I also have a Corvette Z06. Great cars but I prefer the Porsches overall.
Thanks for sharing your excitement.
:cheers:

Elliott991TS 04-30-2019 06:10 PM

congrats! beautiful car! you must be one of the few allocations left before the 992...

what options are on it?

vtknight 04-30-2019 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by GordyRay (Post 15809481)
Howdy vtKnight:
Congratulations on your beautiful Turbo S. Car is amazing. Enjoy this beast. I take delivery of my new Turbo in June. I also have a Corvette Z06. Great cars but I prefer the Porsches overall.
Thanks for sharing your excitement.
:cheers:

Thanks Gordy! You will love your car...they are something to experience and I am super grateful to be in one! Please posts pics when you get it - cheers!

vtknight 04-30-2019 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS (Post 15809486)
congrats! beautiful car! you must be one of the few allocations left before the 992...

what options are on it?

Thanks Elliot - yours as well! I would say I am likely one of the last for sure. I am very lightly optioned; deviated stitch, gauges and belts in Bordeux red, extended paint on skirt, black front and rear lights, glass black roof, carbon lit door sill, exclusive PDK shifter, power steering plus, lane change assist, additional front lighting, crest on seats and glove box, black gloss lower on mirrors, black rear logo and designation.

Paliknight 04-30-2019 06:17 PM

Congrats man I’m glad you got to fulfill your dream. Hopefully soon I’ll also be able to follow in your steps. Saw your post in the M5 versus section. Thread turned into a Porsche discussion lmfao.

You have ave the combination I want! M5C and TTS! Enjoy both in good health.

chuckbdc 04-30-2019 06:18 PM

Beautiful car and great review.

vtknight 04-30-2019 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Paliknight (Post 15809513)
Congrats man I’m glad you got to fulfill your dream. Hopefully soon I’ll also be able to follow in your steps. Saw your post in the M5 versus section. Thread turned into a Porsche discussion lmfao.

You have ave the combination I want! M5C and TTS! Enjoy both in good health.

Thanks PK - there is no doubt you will get there...it took me some time being fair - but it is worth the journey!

neil.schneider 04-30-2019 06:21 PM

Congrats on the new car.

Amazing photography as well. Did you take the shots?

Nanook 04-30-2019 06:26 PM

Congrats she's a peach for certain....

I'll hopefully be in my '19 in a couple of weeks....GT Silver was my second choice...real nice !!

jp884 04-30-2019 06:36 PM

Congrats on being the owner of the best DD there is and great photos:)

onfireTTS 04-30-2019 06:47 PM

Killer ride J. I’m still amazed that my 19 runs 10.4’s at 131 over and over on the street. TTS is an amazing platform. Time for you to adjust the tire pressures. I was running a 10.55 at 130 with a 1.63 sixty on stock Pressure 42/52 hot psi. Dropped that to 38/41 hot and the sixty dropped to 1.58 consistently and a best of 10.46 at 131mph pure stock. That is with Pirelli’s. Your Michelin’s will be even better ! Congrats and go knock off some 10.3’s at 132 !!!!!

vtknight 04-30-2019 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbdc (Post 15809515)
Beautiful car and great review.

Thanks Chuck!

Originally Posted by neil.schneider (Post 15809525)
Congrats on the new car.

Amazing photography as well. Did you take the shots?

I most certainly did not lol...Adam Malthaner is the man! He is a wedding photographer who is now getting recognized for his car work.

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 15809531)
Congrats she's a peach for certain....

I'll hopefully be in my '19 in a couple of weeks....GT Silver was my second choice...real nice !!

Thanks Nanook! You will love it!

Originally Posted by jp884 (Post 15809557)
Congrats on being the owner of the best DD there is and great photos:)

Thanks JP - it is very much an awesome experience so far!

vtknight 04-30-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by onfireTTS (Post 15809577)
Killer ride J. I’m still amazed that my 19 runs 10.4’s at 131 over and over on the street. TTS is an amazing platform. Time for you to adjust the tire pressures. I was running a 10.55 at 130 with a 1.63 sixty on stock Pressure 42/52 hot psi. Dropped that to 38/41 hot and the sixty dropped to 1.58 consistently and a best of 10.46 at 131mph pure stock. That is with Pirelli’s. Your Michelin’s will be even better ! Congrats and go knock off some 10.3’s at 132 !!!!!

T - thank-you! I can tell you that I know this car is quick...I am just interested to see what I run. A few more weeks to find out...It is unbelievable how quick you are at your DA lol - and how much I am loving this car!

worf928 04-30-2019 09:02 PM

Welcome aboard. Very good camera work!

Dr Chill 04-30-2019 09:39 PM

Beautiful car. I cannot agree with you more regarding your initial impressions. Mine now has almost 2000 miles and it feels like a privilege every time I get behind the wheel. How anyone can prefer a GT car to a TTS for the street is beyond me. It truly is the ultimate daily driver supercar.

geoorlando 04-30-2019 09:47 PM

Congrats- great car and write-up. Just in time in Ontario: Winter is going:)

DJ23 04-30-2019 10:04 PM

Great write up. Love how the GT Silver looks at night. A supreme car. Best of luck with it.

Jay

vtknight 04-30-2019 11:01 PM

Saving for a video...

vtknight 04-30-2019 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by worf928 (Post 15809852)
Welcome aboard. Very good camera work!

Thanks Worf! And I have to say again - I am not the cameraperson lol. My few shots are with an iPhone...

vtknight 04-30-2019 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Chill (Post 15809918)
Beautiful car. I cannot agree with you more regarding your initial impressions. Mine now has almost 2000 miles and it feels like a privilege every time I get behind the wheel. How anyone can prefer a GT car to a TTS for the street is beyond me. It truly is the ultimate daily driver supercar.

Thanls Doc - I am loving this car like no other. I took it out tonight and it made my day lol...It is something very special for me.

vtknight 04-30-2019 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by geoorlando (Post 15809944)
Congrats- great car and write-up. Just in time in Ontario: Winter is going:)

Thank-you! Our winter was horrid This last week has been cold still. This weekend should be warmer...cannot wait for consistent nice weather!

vtknight 04-30-2019 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by DJ23 (Post 15809980)
Great write up. Love how the GT Silver looks at night. A supreme car. Best of luck with it.

Jay

Thanks Jay - I really appreciate it! I am happy with choices I made. That said - the car looks good with so many different configurations (black door handles - black mirrors - Turbo S on door - painted intakes etc). I think people will be happy regardless...

abiazis 05-01-2019 01:59 PM

Enjoy the ride and best of luck with the new car! You'll love it even better as time goes on!

vtknight 05-01-2019 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by abiazis (Post 15811332)
Enjoy the ride and best of luck with the new car! You'll love it even better as time goes on!

Thanks AB - I am seeing that already!

Woody7 05-01-2019 06:01 PM

Looks just like my car! (I have a 2017 TTS in GT Silver)

My car has a decent amount of road noise at speed... I have the Pirelli P Zeros though and I hear the Michelin P4S are quieter so I'm anxious to switch them out after the Pirellis are dust.

catpat8000 05-01-2019 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Chill (Post 15809918)

100% on this point.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b62f6d61e.jpeg
2019 NBM, foolishly ordered with CF wheels.

jkfuel 05-01-2019 08:04 PM

Great looking Turbo!

vtknight 05-01-2019 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Woody7 (Post 15811965)
Looks just like my car! (I have a 2017 TTS in GT Silver)

My car has a decent amount of road noise at speed... I have the Pirelli P Zeros though and I hear the Michelin P4S are quieter so I'm anxious to switch them out after the Pirellis are dust.

I think the cars shape is part of the issue - the wide dome shaped hips will amplify any sound lol. I will say the PS4's are very reasonable for this type of car...I have the Pirelli's on my F90 and they are garbage.

vtknight 05-01-2019 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by jkfuel (Post 15812263)
Great looking Turbo!

Thank-you kindly!

Bruce H. 05-02-2019 12:13 AM

Glad to hear you're loving it...and great photos!

vtknight 05-02-2019 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce H. (Post 15812721)
Glad to hear you're loving it...and great photos!

Thanks Bruce - oil change at about 600 miles this weekend - and the break in continues.

Bruce H. 05-02-2019 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by vtknight (Post 15812750)
Thanks Bruce - oil change at about 600 miles this weekend - and the break in continues.

Will you be doing a road course review at some point?

vtknight 05-02-2019 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce H. (Post 15812767)
Will you be doing a road course review at some point?

I would say there is a very good chance of that Bruce lol. I will take the car to the 1/4 to test the Exclusive 607 HP tune theory and while there - maybe take it out for a lap or two. I am a journeyman road courser - and middleish of the road skill wise. That said - I think I can give some useful feedback.

vtknight 05-02-2019 04:57 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7e2c90d083.jpg
A few more pics...

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c19aaf1ee1.jpg

vtknight 05-06-2019 11:31 AM

I had a few people ask me about natural lighting for the gauges in Bordeaux Red...these two (one blurry) show it pretty well.

Additional review to follow from the weekend...
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e989669730.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...959cae8549.jpg

vtknight 05-08-2019 01:40 AM

Review update:

Oil change at 1000 KM's/~600 miles - presently just over 1600 KM/1000 miles. Now that I am able to use more of the car - I am seeing that I made the right choice. It is capable. As I am not doing anything that resembles a dig, and simply "rowing" through gears (I actually have yet to shift for myself yet - PDK is just that good) - I am surprised about the mid-top end grunt the car has. I am fairly attuned to my cars having been involved in track racing for some time, and I am going to say having been in the non-S Turbo, that this is where I feel the difference. The turbos in the S do seem a little beefier in that mid-top end, the curve feels fatter - and with less fall off. Very smooth - always very very smooth this car. Quick DCT PDK shifts? - still feels smooth. The handling only adds to that. My C7 Z06 - from what I can research is the better skidpad and (overall) handling car on paper. It is lower to the ground and wider. That said - the Porsche suspension with the four wheel steer - makes whatever I am doing effortless. Tight corner? Feels like butter. Zero drama. I am starting to understand now how the magazine reviews can poop on the car - for being "so uneventful". It feels like there are no limits to the car - I have yet to feel it strain.

On the note of that magazine negativity, where I am in my life - this level of superiority appeals to me. I have always gravitated to hyper-capable cars - but one that can do it at this level - while being luxury GT car good(ness)? Not until now.

Some of my friends and those on my pages have asked me why Mclaren was out in my decision making. They mostly ask me this as I was a performance junkie - owning two cars that totaled over 3000 HP. I am a big fan of the platform. The 720S is a TITAN of performance today. Nothing stock from factory even close to its price point is beating it in a straight line - and it ain't half bad on the road course either. I have found that build quality from owner feedback - hasn't been stellar - and I am guessing that is one of the reasons it struggles to retain its value. But here again, the Porsche walk away with the title - as most complete and well constructed car on this planet. Again - I have not had this car long - but it feels so solid. Like nothing can break a Porsche. If my car could talk it would constantly be saying "That's it? Do it again - more...". I almost feel the car is annoyed with me during this break in period.

Overall driving is fantastic. Unlike any car like this in its class - I just enjoy driving it. It doesn't matter what I am doing or what speeds. It just makes me want to drive it. All the time. I like the somewhat "stealth/not stealthiness" quality of the car. Some people notice - some are oblivious. As a non-attention seeking individual myself, I find this both convenient and uncomfortable. It's like I am involuntarily saying to the car "surprise me".

I am excited to see what the car is capable of - but I am enjoying the process. More to come - from the track.

Elliott991TS 05-08-2019 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by vtknight (Post 15825866)

If my car could talk it would constantly be saying "That's it? Do it again - more...".

That sums it up pretty good :D

vtknight 05-08-2019 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS (Post 15825876)
That sums it up pretty good :D

Thanks Elliot - I look forward to seeing what it is capable of at the track. That will be a longer review.

2fcknfst 05-08-2019 01:17 PM

Very good choice, although I would also plug (shamelessly) Edmonton Porsche and Randy as the best in Canada... perhaps western Canada...:)

I have been chasing the 607HP Exclusive tune - so far, no one will offer me the reflash, which seems a little silly as it is only software. Then I found this:

http://www.evoms.com/product_p/evomsit-991.2tts.htm

Puts the S at 625hp (crank) currently - probably why it is so bloody quick!

I am curious about your comparison between the M5 DCT and the PDK - I find it to be somewhat skewed in my M5, and I think the PDK is far superior over the DCT, both in day to day drivability, and in its ability to 'know' exactly what gear to be in. When I drive my M5 and leave the transmission program on the second bar it is not nearly as smooth as the PDK is in Sport.

Congrats on the toy!

EVOMS 05-08-2019 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst (Post 15826754)
Very good choice, although I would also plug (shamelessly) Edmonton Porsche and Randy as the best in Canada... perhaps western Canada...:)

I have been chasing the 607HP Exclusive tune - so far, no one will offer me the reflash, which seems a little silly as it is only software. Then I found this:

http://www.evoms.com/product_p/evomsit-991.2tts.htm

Puts the S at 625hp (crank) currently - probably why it is so bloody quick!

I am curious about your comparison between the M5 DCT and the PDK - I find it to be somewhat skewed in my M5, and I think the PDK is far superior over the DCT, both in day to day drivability, and in its ability to 'know' exactly what gear to be in. When I drive my M5 and leave the transmission program on the second bar it is not nearly as smooth as the PDK is in Sport.

Congrats on the toy!

This kind of 'underrating' is really common these days with anything forced induction due to how OEM power rating testing works. Rated power is taken of an average of output over a minute of full load running with the engine configured as it would be in the car. It is up to the manufacturer how they simulate cooling on the test bench, including most notably the intercoolers. A minute at full throttle is a long time, and on a forced induction car you're going to get heatsoak that will reduce or require a reduction in power to maintain reliability. So the 580hp or 607hp ratings are an average of peak output over a minute of running! For shorter periods, Porsche calibrated the engine to easily make more power than that when possible. On a stock Turbo S, our testing here shows that the car can produce ~625hp for about 10sec before the stock intercoolers heatsoak enough to reduce power down through cuts to ignition timing and boost. It's relatively uncommon for people to go wide open throttle for that length of time, so for street driving the car is often that 40-50hp stronger than the paperwork says. For more severe street use or track use...it's a Porsche, it's going to meet or exceed standards because they are excellent at designing and building sports cars.

Sam

2fcknfst 05-08-2019 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by EVOMS (Post 15827085)
This kind of 'underrating' is really common these days with anything forced induction due to how OEM power rating testing works. Rated power is taken of an average of output over a minute of full load running with the engine configured as it would be in the car. It is up to the manufacturer how they simulate cooling on the test bench, including most notably the intercoolers. A minute at full throttle is a long time, and on a forced induction car you're going to get heatsoak that will reduce or require a reduction in power to maintain reliability. So the 580hp or 607hp ratings are an average of peak output over a minute of running! For shorter periods, Porsche calibrated the engine to easily make more power than that when possible. On a stock Turbo S, our testing here shows that the car can produce ~625hp for about 10sec before the stock intercoolers heatsoak enough to reduce power down through cuts to ignition timing and boost. It's relatively uncommon for people to go wide open throttle for that length of time, so for street driving the car is often that 40-50hp stronger than the paperwork says. For more severe street use or track use...it's a Porsche, it's going to meet or exceed standards because they are excellent at designing and building sports cars.

Sam

Yes, I agree - my 2014 M5 CP was rated at 575hp from the factory. As I recall when I put the Stage 2 Dinan chip in it, power went up to 710hp (also cut the mufflers off, added an intake...). When I asked Dinan to confirm that I was in fact seeing a 135hp gain, they informed me that the engine was under rated from the factory and was in fact producing a little more than 630hp, so my realized gains were in fact 80hp. I was happy with that.

By the way, I use your intercoolers, silicone hoses and diverter valves on my 996t - love your gear!

vtknight 05-08-2019 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst (Post 15827264)
Yes, I agree - my 2014 M5 CP was rated at 575hp from the factory. As I recall when I put the Stage 2 Dinan chip in it, power went up to 710hp (also cut the mufflers off, added an intake...). When I asked Dinan to confirm that I was in fact seeing a 135hp gain, they informed me that the engine was under rated from the factory and was in fact producing a little more than 630hp, so my realized gains were in fact 80hp. I was happy with that.

By the way, I use your intercoolers, silicone hoses and diverter valves on my 996t - love your gear!

I have the F90 M5 CE which is rated at 625 HP. That said - I have run 10.9 at 129.5 MPH bone stock (with the crappy Pirelli's). If I had the Michelin's I would have run a 10.8x at least by now. That said - it is the ZF torque converter versus DCT. and here is the thing - I believe the PDK is smoother than even that lol. There are some down shifts depending on the mode that the PDK is more abrupt - but for overall in "O" setting cruising - I would give it to the PDK.

I do not know for sure about the 2019's getting the Exclusive tune - only that a buddy of mine is tied for the stock ET record at 10.46 - and he is at 4000+ DA. He has an F90 M5 with a tune and his best run is 10.8x. He was 11.4-11.6 on average stock. So he should not even be in the running for any stock ET records just due to his altitude.

IF - the tune is the (rated) 607 HP - I should at least match his ET (I have the Michelins on my Turbo S as well - not the Pirelli's - so that is a big positive) - and likely be at least a 10.3x.

We shall see in a few weeks.

2fcknfst 05-08-2019 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by vtknight (Post 15827313)
I have the F90 M5 CE which is rated at 625 HP. That said - I have run 10.9 at 129.5 MPH bone stock (with the crappy Pirelli's). If I had the Michelin's I would have run a 10.8x at least by now. That said - it is the ZF torque converter versus DCT. and here is the thing - I believe the PDK is smoother than even that lol. There are some down shifts depending on the mode that the PDK is more abrupt - but for overall in "O" setting cruising - I would give it to the PDK.

I do not know for sure about the 2019's getting the Exclusive tune - only that a buddy of mine is tied for the stock ET record at 10.46 - and he is at 4000+ DA. He has an F90 M5 with a tune and his best run is 10.8x. He was 11.4-11.6 on average stock. So he should not even be in the running for any stock ET records just due to his altitude.

IF - the tune is the (rated) 607 HP - I should at least match his ET (I have the Michelins on my Turbo S as well - not the Pirelli's - so that is a big positive) - and likely be at least a 10.3x.

We shall see in a few weeks.

Apologies - didn't make the connection to what box was in your M5.

vtknight 05-08-2019 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst (Post 15827358)
Apologies - didn't make the connection to what box was in your M5.

No need to apologize - the ZF trans is solid. That said - there is nothing like PDK.

Bxstr 05-12-2019 04:51 PM

Sounds like a great dealer experience and it looks like you got a great car. Enjoy it!

vtknight 05-14-2019 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bxstr (Post 15835902)
Sounds like a great dealer experience and it looks like you got a great car. Enjoy it!

Thank-you kindly! I am very fortunate to have enjoyed the entire journey!

Papa Fittig 05-17-2019 01:16 AM

Great pics of a great car! Congrats and enjoy!

vtknight 05-17-2019 08:43 PM

For those that don’t know me - I am exceedingly honest about my runs. If I or the car sucked - I say so. This car is not a drag car - it’s more about the interest to see what it can do. I have exited a 2000 HP car that was a purpose built car - so I am okay if a bone stock car performs or not.

That all said - I’m happy to say - I’m really impressed lol...

It was almost the perfect day. DA was about 1800-2000. Slight head wind (about 10 MPH) - but not too bad really. Prep was solid. There was an event this long weekend - big cars were there. After my second pass (first full on pass). I was pretty excited to drop some air pressure and hold the LC to really build up boost (after testing it on the street - I was pretty nervous to try it at the track with amount of stick that was out there lol - this the first hit at only the lesser LC in Sport).

Then disaster. The right lane was already shut down because of timing issues. So everyone was left lane. And one of the mega drag cars - while I was dancing in my car on the return track looking at my just completed 10.46 run - promptly popped his motor right at the tree. It became super greasy - it was a major spill. They tried to clean it - but as you can see from my slips - I went from 1.5x 60’ to 1.6x to 1.7x and finally 1.8. After four worsening passes - I packed it up.

Normally big tire cars help with traction - by laying rubber down - but with the oil - it became worse as the rubber mixed in. Just after I was packing it up - the track shut down for a full clean up (the other cars were having big issues as well).

I believe 10.3x is possible with this car. My understanding is this run is the at least tied (with another 2019 Turbo S on this very page) for the quickest bone stock Turbo S - at least that I am aware of. MPH seemed to be off. As I said above - the right lane was shut down because of the MPH being off - so this could be the same issue. My speedo had me at 215 before the beams - which is almost 133 MPH.

As happy as I am - what is crazy is - it could have been quicker. Again - as I said above - the car launches so violently - and with the track having some prep - I was actually really worried about the car. If I had stayed in boost on the full LC run (10.460) - I think it would have been a low 10.4x or maybe even a high 10.3x - which is nuts for a bone stock car. As it stands - I hit the LC and quickly released. I simply thought I had more time and more runs. I didn’t.

Very very pleased. It is a remarkable car. I will be back and of the month and see what I can do. My tire psi was about 39 hot - and the Michelin’s did not like that. I could have went down to at least 35. Again - I was good to spin first and make sure the car could take it - thinking I had more time at the track. Although my 60’ was amazing - I still spun somewhat - very briefly but it was there. Full power LC is like a rabid cat trying to claw its way out of the hole lol.

More to come! Big thank-you for my co-record holder Onfire with his 2019 Turbo S for helping me with some important info - it was very useful!

Cheers!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...33b192e26.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3e8ee743e.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...671697365.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c12781171.jpeg

Nanook 05-17-2019 09:07 PM

That is very impressive !!...I just heard my car will arrive tomorrow finally...so very soon I'll be able to have some comparison numbers...well done

onfireTTS 05-17-2019 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by vtknight (Post 15848451)
For those that don’t know me - I am exceedingly honest about my runs. If I or the car sucked - I say so. This car is not a drag car - it’s more about the interest to see what it can do. I have exited a 2000 HP car that was a purpose built car - so I am okay if a bone stock car performs or not.

That all said - I’m happy to say - I’m really impressed lol...

It was almost the perfect day. DA was about 1800-2000. Slight head wind (about 10 MPH) - but not too bad really. Prep was solid. There was an event this long weekend - big cars were there. After my second pass (first full on pass). I was pretty excited to drop some air pressure and hold the LC to really build up boost (after testing it on the street - I was pretty nervous to try it at the track with amount of stick that was out there lol - this the first hit at only the lesser LC in Sport).

Then disaster. The right lane was already shut down because of timing issues. So everyone was left lane. And one of the mega drag cars - while I was dancing in my car on the return track looking at my just completed 10.46 run - promptly popped his motor right at the tree. It became super greasy - it was a major spill. They tried to clean it - but as you can see from my slips - I went from 1.5x 60’ to 1.6x to 1.7x and finally 1.8. After four worsening passes - I packed it up.

Normally big tire cars help with traction - by laying rubber down - but with the oil - it became worse as the rubber mixed in. Just after I was packing it up - the track shut down for a full clean up (the other cars were having big issues as well).

I believe 10.3x is possible with this car. My understanding is this run is the at least tied (with another 2019 Turbo S on this very page) for the quickest bone stock Turbo S - at least that I am aware of. MPH seemed to be off. As I said above - the right lane was shut down because of the MPH being off - so this could be the same issue. My speedo had me at 215 before the beams - which is almost 133 MPH.

As happy as I am - what is crazy is - it could have been quicker. Again - as I said above - the car launches so violently - and with the track having some prep - I was actually really worried about the car. If I had stayed in boost on the full LC run (10.460) - I think it would have been a low 10.4x or maybe even a high 10.3x - which is nuts for a bone stock car. As it stands - I hit the LC and quickly released. I simply thought I had more time and more runs. I didn’t.

Very very pleased. It is a remarkable car. I will be back and of the month and see what I can do. My tire psi was about 39 hot - and the Michelin’s did not like that. I could have went down to at least 35. Again - I was good to spin first and make sure the car could take it - thinking I had more time at the track. Although my 60’ was amazing - I still spun somewhat - very briefly but it was there. Full power LC is like a rabid cat trying to claw its way out of the hole lol.

More to come! Big thank-you for my co-record holder Onfire with his 2019 Turbo S for helping me with some important info - it was very useful!

Cheers!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...33b192e26.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3e8ee743e.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...671697365.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c12781171.jpeg

AWESOME results with less than stellar conditions. Plus, FIRST TIME OUT ! You know your stuff J. You also just confirmed the 2019’s are making more than 580hp. Probably 620ish. Well done !

vtknight 05-17-2019 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by onfireTTS (Post 15848495)
AWESOME results with less than stellar conditions. Plus, FIRST TIME OUT ! You know your stuff J. You also just confirmed the 2019’s are making more than 580hp. Probably 620ish. Well done !

Thanks T! I am going out again for a track day end of the month. Knowing what I know now - I feel I have a good shot of going quicker. I’m also going to another track to compare - especially for the MPH. A few guys were complaining about over 5 MPH difference - but they have mega cars. My gues is at least 2-3 MPH for me as I watched each run hit 215 before the beams. I don’t believe I am trapping only 129.

I definitely agree that these 2019 cars are quicker. It’s hard to doubt now. I believe I may run a high 10.3x. We shall see.

Deckard 05-17-2019 10:10 PM

Congrats on the timeslip! You and OnFire are posting some ridiculous times for a STOCK tts. Very curious what the dyno would show for your cars versus, say, a 2018.

vtknight 05-17-2019 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Deckard (Post 15848614)
Congrats on the timeslip! You and OnFire are posting some ridiculous times for a STOCK tts. Very curious what the dyno would show for your cars versus, say, a 2018.

Thanks Deckard! I am wondering the same...

onfireTTS 05-17-2019 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Deckard (Post 15848614)

In two different countries. Insane ! The more I drive the TTS, the more I love it.

vtknight 05-18-2019 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 15848489)
That is very impressive !!...I just heard my car will arrive tomorrow finally...so very soon I'll be able to have some comparison numbers...well done

Awesome! The more data we have the better - but my confidence is high the 2019 Turbo S's have a little extra special sauce. Let us know how you do - you will love the car!

onfireTTS 05-18-2019 12:23 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4b2ae12e67.png
Interesting comparison below. 2018 pure stock at a sea level track around 2000ft da. In the left time slip. Giac tuned on the right. Time slip. Stock 2019 falls in between. Definitely 620ish HP in the ‘19’s.

Paliknight 05-19-2019 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by onfireTTS (Post 15849506)
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4b2ae12e67.png
Interesting comparison below. 2018 pure stock at a sea level track around 2000ft da. In the left time slip. Giac tuned on the right. Time slip. Stock 2019 falls in between. Definitely 620ish HP in the ‘19’s.

https://youtu.be/X0Hus8VByLQ

Do you have a link to more details about the tune? Wondering what it entails and if warranty would be an issue with this tune.

onfireTTS 05-19-2019 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Paliknight (Post 15850905)
Do you have a link to more details about the tune? Wondering what it entails and if warranty would be an issue with this tune.

Warranty is always in play when you flash the DME.

http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr...iac-991tts.htm

vtknight 05-19-2019 03:56 PM

Well. You can take back anything good you said about me having to do with racing T. I just found out I had traction control on for all of my runs. That would explain that slipping feeling I was getting no matter how good my 60’ was. I though S+ turned it off. It doesn’t .

Now - I don’t know that traction control being on had a bad affect - but I’m guessing it wouldn’t help my trap speed.

I am going to try to go back tomorrow and find out. It’s a regular test and tune day though.

Super. Frustrated.

Funny thing is - I remembered to turn off AC...sigh.

onfireTTS 05-19-2019 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by vtknight (Post 15851662)
Well. You can take back anything good you said about me having to do with racing T. I just found out I had traction control on for all of my runs. That would explain that slipping feeling I was getting no matter how good my 60’ was. I though S+ turned it off. It doesn’t .

Now - I don’t know that traction control being on had a bad affect - but I’m guessing it wouldn’t help my trap speed.

I am going to try to go back tomorrow and find out. It’s a regular test and tune day though.

Frustrated.

Without question you have earned your bones.

I have not tested it yet, but I’ve read LC , once activated , sets it’s own parameters. So I have never turned TC off either. Will be interesting to see if you measure a difference. My Pirelli’s Black Track the street hard at a 1.58 sixty and a 5600rpm 9psi Launch. LC is altering something.

vtknight 05-19-2019 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by onfireTTS (Post 15851687)
Without question you have earned your bones.

I have not tested it yet, but I’ve read LC , once activated , sets it’s own parameters. So I have never turned TC off either. Will be interesting to see if you measure a difference. My Pirelli’s Black Track the street hard at a 1.58 sixty and a 5600rpm 9psi Launch. LC is altering something.

I don’t feel that way right now T. But thanks.

i tested out your theory and the TC light duds not comenin but there is spin and no TC warning livht I could see. So you could be right. That said - there was more spin with LC (4600) and the power felt greater and the shifts sharper.

So - T - your mission should you choose to accept it - is to do another Dragy with TC off and find out. Track will be wet tomorrow so I’m out of luck.

vtknight 05-27-2019 01:40 AM

Well - my Traction Control On test turned out to be exactly accurate to my butt-dyno. I guessed about 2 MPH at least and it is about 2.5. THAT said - my speedo was showing me 218 KM/hr - which is 134.5 MPH. I spoke with the Track and they told me NHRA is coming in to check/adjust the towers timing equipment this week - so I believe I will see a higher MPH on my next - and last - outing. Track prep wasn't super duper - so I was down on ET - but still super strong. I did notice that my 1/8th ET was slightly improved however. 1/8th MPH was also up a tick. I don't like this car at the track - so one more outing is it - or maybe not at all. I haven't decided. I have only run 8 passes - but I feel its enough - I know what it can do. The only reason I am even considering it is because of the MPH question...

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...64ff3d6baf.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7c44e9673e.jpg

onfireTTS 05-27-2019 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by vtknight (Post 15867563)
Well - my Traction Control On test turned out to be exactly accurate to my butt-dyno. I guessed about 2 MPH at least and it is about 2.5. THAT said - my speedo was showing me 218 KM/hr - which is 134.5 MPH. I spoke with the Track and they told me NHRA is coming in to check/adjust the towers timing equipment this week - so I believe I will see a higher MPH on my next - and last - outing. Track prep wasn't super duper - so I was down on ET - but still super strong. I did notice that my 1/8th ET was slightly improved however. 1/8th MPH was also up a tick. I don't like this car at the track - so one more outing is it - or maybe not at all. I haven't decided. I have only run 8 passes - but I feel its enough - I know what it can do. The only reason I am even considering it is because of the MPH question...

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...64ff3d6baf.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7c44e9673e.jpg

Interesting results ! I’ll do an 1/8th mile before/after soon out of curiosity. One thing is proven.....with my 2019 going 10.4? At 131 and your 2019 going 10.4 at 132mph, the horsepower is closer to 620 than 580. Myth Busted. (Hmmmm Green tape mod )

vtknight 05-27-2019 06:20 PM

I am interested to see what you run...I may go back one more time to see whether my speedo is off 3 MPH or if the trap equipment is off. My guess is I am actually somewhere in the 133.5 MPH range.

Let me me know how it goes T!

Steve Cole 05-27-2019 09:08 PM

My 2017 did 135.99 on a calibrated track. It was done the night before the National event. TC on partial, dial on Sport, Sport Response button pressed right before leaving. I've run multiple 134s as well.

onfireTTS 05-27-2019 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 15869127)
My 2017 did 135.99 on a calibrated track. It was done the night before the National event. TC on partial, dial on Sport, Sport Response button pressed right before leaving. I've run multiple 134s as well.

Impressive. Multiple tracks or all in the same track ?

vtknight 05-27-2019 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 15869127)

Originally Posted by onfireTTS (Post 15869160)
Impressive. Multiple tracks or all in the same track ?

I didn't know you can run partial TC? Steve has stated these trap speeds before - and as no other 991.2 - bone stock at least - has run 135+ - this is why there is some skepticism - at least from me. IN the C7Z days - Farmer also talked about his 10.2 1/4 runs - fully stock - but he was trapping 137 MPH. And that is the problem with trap speeds - you cannot hide them. Is it possible - you have gotten a factory fluke? Pretty much - as the tunes are the same and a 3-5 MPH fluctuation is unlikely. I remember your DA being near sea level - so I could see 133ish maybe for a 2017 - but 136?

Again - we don't know each other - I am not stating you are intentionally being disingenuous - it could be your track equipment - I don't know. What I do know is - no other 2017 has come close to running 136 MPH in the 1/4 bone stock. At least not that I have seen or heard of.

This video is the reason for my doubt - it's a 991.2 2018 Turbo S "with full exhaust, no cats and stage 2 tune" and it barely ran 134 MPH. You are a full 2 MPH faster - bone stock. I recognize he had a 1.54 60' - and if he spun he would trap higher. As he should with 675 HP - maybe another 2-3 MPH. Which would equal or slightly surpass - your bone stock car. I am guessing it is your track.

onfireTTS 05-27-2019 10:38 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7b9459df7a.jpg
Pure stock 2018 on the left. Same car without cats and GIAC stage 1 on the right. Sea level track. 136mph should be close to 10.0 ET

2fcknfst 05-27-2019 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by onfireTTS (Post 15869281)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7b9459df7a.jpg
Pure stock 2018 on the left. Same car without cats and GIAC stage 1 on the right. Sea level track. 136mph should be close to 10.0 ET

That is damn impressive.

neil.schneider 05-28-2019 12:13 AM

So what would my stock 2015 cab do?

vtknight 05-28-2019 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by neil.schneider (Post 15869471)
So what would my stock 2015 cab do?

Cab's tend to be about 2-3 tenths slower because of the weight difference...and yours in a 991.1 - so I am thinking maybe 10.9-11.2 depending on the day and track conditions.

vtknight 05-28-2019 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by onfireTTS (Post 15867886)
I. (Hmmmm Green tape mod )

LOL - just saw this now. The tape was to cover my toe hook opening and to avoid paint chips...

As to the performcae - the car definitely seems to adjust itself - It is getting hotter and I feel the car is performing the same - so your example of the stock tune adjustment on the fly by Porsche seems right T. Quite impressive...

neil.schneider 05-28-2019 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by vtknight (Post 15869481)
Cab's tend to be about 2-3 tenths slower because of the weight difference...and yours in a 991.1 - so I am thinking maybe 10.9-11.2 depending on the day and track conditions.

I used a draggy and got 11.01 at 124.1 with a 1.68 60 foot. I did this on a regular road up a slight incline, on fully inflated rear tires, no warm up, 3/4 tank of gas etc. Less than ideal conditions. I am guessing I could knock a couple of tenths off with better conditions.

vtknight 05-28-2019 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by neil.schneider (Post 15870448)
I used a draggy and got 11.01 at 124.1 with a 1.68 60 foot. I did this on a regular road up a slight incline, on fully inflated rear tires, no warm up, 3/4 tank of gas etc. Less than ideal conditions. I am guessing I could knock a couple of tenths off with better conditions.

Well - my guess was pretty accurate. 1.68 60’ - so knock a tenth off and you will be between 10.8 and 10.9. Track and track prep is sometimes more tricky than the street and dragy. DA will be a factor of course. Still solid ET’s though.