Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

HELP with Cobb AP High Torque Aggressive PDK map. My car is a bucking bronco...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 04:52 AM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default HELP with Cobb AP High Torque Aggressive PDK map. My car is a bucking bronco...

Need some guidance from folks who successfully run the Cobb AP High Torque Aggressive PDK map.

My car takes the sequential map no problem. Drives great immediately. Do a few 1st thru 7th pulls to calibrate the transmission and she's purring. Transmission re-learn also goes very smoothly.

***BUT***

When i put her on the High Torque Aggressive map, she's bucking like a pissed off bronco. I did about 25+ 1st thru 7th pulls, nothing helps. I try the re-learn feature on the AP, but in about 2 minutes the programmer says "cannot communicate with vehicle" and the gauge cluster says "trans failure". It goes away once i restart. When i accelerate from a stop in auto mode, while in first gear at around 2500RPM, i hear a clunk and get a hesitation. I don't notice that in manual mode. And it goes away on the sequential map. Does my car just hate the high torque aggressive map? Or does it take months to fully calibrate? I'm lost here...
Old 04-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Just my .02 but I think the pdk tranny software is treading on un-chartered waters....needs work/time
Old 04-05-2019, 02:14 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster

Need some guidance from folks who successfully run the Cobb AP High Torque Aggressive PDK map.

My car takes the sequential map no problem. Drives great immediately. Do a few 1st thru 7th pulls to calibrate the transmission and she's purring. Transmission re-learn also goes very smoothly.

***BUT***

When i put her on the High Torque Aggressive map, she's bucking like a pissed off bronco. I did about 25+ 1st thru 7th pulls, nothing helps. I try the re-learn feature on the AP, but in about 2 minutes the programmer says "cannot communicate with vehicle" and the gauge cluster says "trans failure". It goes away once i restart. When i accelerate from a stop in auto mode, while in first gear at around 2500RPM, i hear a clunk and get a hesitation. I don't notice that in manual mode. And it goes away on the sequential map. Does my car just hate the high torque aggressive map? Or does it take months to fully calibrate? I'm lost here...
Do you have the same problem in Sport mode?
Old 04-09-2019, 03:11 AM
Adianaty
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What worked for me was to change the settings of the Cobb in the pc application to allow beta firmware. What this does is allow more time for the trans to go through the calibration and it will finish the job. Prior to doing this, I could never get it to calibrate with the aggressive tune. It’s in the options in the desktop app and you need to attempt to look for a firmware upgrade to enable it to work in beta.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:46 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

talk to Sam, he is a wizard with this stuff
Old 04-23-2019, 04:40 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
talk to Sam, he is a wizard with this stuff
I apologize to the OP, and I am not trying to hi-jack the thread, but could you tell me who Sam is. I am looking at getting a programmer for my car and heard that the one to get is Cobb and Sam was the guru
Unless, there are other ones available that are better, and i am mistaken
The following users liked this post:
Torque Lewis (11-09-2021)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:35 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 999 Likes on 601 Posts

Hey guys! Just got back from a trip so I’ve been less present on here sorry. Anyone feel free to reach out any time for any assistance. With Cobb too as we are like family. Im proud to be their largest Porsche rep and glad to represent and support Cobb 100% for you all.

Best,

Sam
By Design Automitive Group
Old 04-24-2019, 12:12 AM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey guys! Just got back from a trip so I’ve been less present on here sorry. Anyone feel free to reach out any time for any assistance. With Cobb too as we are like family. Im proud to be their largest Porsche rep and glad to represent and support Cobb 100% for you all.

Best,

Sam
By Design Automitive Group
ironic that your 808th post is in harry's thread? i think not!
Old 04-24-2019, 01:25 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Now that is crazy Mike! We got that sorted by the way

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 04-24-2019, 09:44 PM
bommerts
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nanook
Just my .02 but I think the pdk tranny software is treading on un-chartered waters....needs work/time
From my recent experience.....agree completely. Don't mess with the Cobb PDK flash.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:56 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The thing with it guys is that the PDK's are quite sensitive. 80% go fine no probs. Another 10-15% need some extra love and a few are just difficult. It all has to do with temps, mileage, other mods, how hard the car is being pushed, clutch condition, fluid condition and even things like tire diameter. When pushing higher fluid pressures and shorter shift times it gets even more sensitive. I have spoken to several Porsche techs about this as well. Even on stock cars they see issues come and go. In fact it's rare for a factory clutch calibration to go through the first time even on a Panamera. There are hundreds of users now so we will hear about that few % but always here to help and we always have a solution.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:58 PM
bommerts
Instructor

The thing with it guys is that the PDK's are quite sensitive. 80% go fine no probs. Another 10-15% need some extra love and a few are just difficult. It all has to do with mileage, other mods, how hard the car is being pushed, clutch condition, fluid condition and even things like tire diameter. When pushing higher fluid pressures and shorter shift times it gets even more sensitive. There are hundreds of users now so we will hear about that few % but always here to help and we always have a solution.
No doubt you know your stuff Sam, but I can only speak from my personal experience.

Totally / everything stock TTS. Installed PDK off-the-shelf COBB map, worked OK. Uninstalled, went back to OEM and omg did it f*** up my PDK. Shifted like absolute garbage. Had to take it to the dealer. Luckily they reflashed it for me under warranty and no damage was done.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:20 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cheers. Always feel free to reach out. The upgrade applies and adapts to higher pressures with shorter times. Going backwards requires a calibration or re-learn to bring everything back into spec. That's why it's really nice that the AP includes the clutch re-learn capability. If you would like to try it I can help and guarantee you will be able to do what the dealership did both ways
Old 04-25-2019, 03:48 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

Cheers. Always feel free to reach out. The upgrade applies and adapts to higher pressures with shorter times. Going backwards requires a calibration or re-learn to bring everything back into spec. That's why it's really nice that the AP includes the clutch re-learn capability. If you would like to try it I can help and guarantee you will be able to do what the dealership did both ways
Sam - So are you saying you should be able to go back to stock no problem (with the clutch re-learn capability)?
Old 04-25-2019, 04:14 PM
bommerts
Instructor

Sam, unless you know something that Cobb doesn't, then there is no way to do what the dealership did: Restore my PDK back to stock, working condition.

I called Cobb when I was having trouble. Their advice? Take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: HELP with Cobb AP High Torque Aggressive PDK map. My car is a bucking bronco...