Sponsored by: Road Spy

Unicorn hunting

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 04:28 PM
YetiRojo
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Unicorn hunting

First of all, I really appreciate all of the information that is shared on this site. Even though I only registered a few days ago, I've been lurking for a while.

As many of you have suggested in many of the posts I've read, I've been patiently watching for the right car. I'm a guy who knows what he wants and I don't like to settle. However, considering the fact that I've been looking for over a year and I've only seen 2 pop up for sale, I'm starting to wonder if I've been going about it wrong or if there's a better way to source the right car.

I'm looking for a low mileage 991.1 Turbo S Convertible. The hard part is I want a blue one. My absolute favorite is Mexico Blue, but I've never seen one on a TTS Cab. I would be happy with Sapphire, Riviera, or Voodoo, but I've never seen Riviera or Voodoo, either. In over 12 months searching I've only seen 2 Sapphire Blue ones show up on Autotrader, Cars.com, or CarGurus, and both seemed way overpriced compared to the other cars on the market at the time (>$20-$30k more). I could justify spending an extra $10k for the right color, but $20k+ seemed excessive. I've tracked the data long enough to know that they tend to sit on dealer lots until they are priced closer to KBB, but even then KBB seems to be lower than what most are listed for.

That got me to wondering how many of them are actually out there? Any idea how I could find that out? My local dealer knows what I'm looking for, but because I live in a small market I'm not optimistic that he'll find one. A friend of mine runs a high end used car dealership and he's now keeping an eye out for me. What else could / should I be doing to find the right car?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2019, 05:07 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I feel your pain. I prefer my 911s in unusual colors. The unusual colors are funny; people don't want them when they're new, but they become desirable for a used car.

Unfortunately, there's not a way to find out how many are out there that meet your requirements. The challenge that you face is that 90% of 911s sold are black, silver, or grey. This fact means that there aren't many blue cars period, and even fewer that are actually for sale. Most of the colors that you mentioned (Mexico Blue, Riviera Blue, and Voodoo Blue) are custom, Paint To Sample colors. These weren't offered as an option on the 991, they had to be special ordered at a significant premium. It's possible that none exist in the US.

I think you've got a few choices. First, you could keep searching and hope that you find a shade of blue that you find acceptable. You'll likely pay a premium for it. Second, you could expand your search to include other colors. Next, you could order a new car and go with the Paint To Sample route. Finally, you could buy a car that's not your ideal color, and then have it wrapped.

Good luck with your search.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:47 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Also, you might expand your search to include Night Blue Metallic, and Miami Blue, both of which were offered on the 991.1 Turbo S. I did a quick search on Autotrader, and this 2015 in Night Blue Metallic is for sale now.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:50 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

There's a 2015 Turbo for sale on eBay right now too.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:52 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

I am partial to Graphite Blue Metallic and I believe there is a cab on Autotrader in this color......maybe a 991.2 TTS though and maybe another TT cab................color was available for 2 years - 17 and 18 for the TT and TTS....
The following users liked this post:
James McMurtry (06-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2019, 05:53 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts
Default Check the Collection

The following users liked this post:
James McMurtry (06-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2019, 06:07 PM
YetiRojo
Instructor

Thanks Dennis! I'm actually in Scottsdale this week and looked at the Night Blue Metallic one on Wednesday to see what I thought. Then I went to a dealer that had a Sapphire Blue Targa right after and I just like the sapphire blue better.

The sapphire one on eBay isn't an "S", and I figure if I've waited this long I might as well get exactly what I want.

I've seen a couple of the graphite blues listed for sale, but haven't seen one in person. In some of the pics I've seen it looks incredible (like the granite grey S55 I used to drive), and in others it just looks ok. Maybe I should see if one of the dealers in AZ has a graphite blue car in stock that I can see in person? The pic of the one w/ the blue top is impressive, but a 991.2 is going to be about $30-$40k more than I'd like to spend.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

No problem. I hope you find something you like. My first 911 was a 996 C4S, and I looked for a long time until I found one in Midnight Blue Metallic. I loved that car. My last two 911s have been metallic brown. I know it doesn't sound too exciting, but I love the way that they look. It wasn't easy finding one with the color and equipment that I wanted! I'm thinking of a green 911 for my next one. There was a thread posted here recently about a PTS Irish Green turbo that looked fantastic. I'd love a car in that color.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:59 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If you want to choose your color and go the wrap route... consider a black one as it is much easier to wrap black cars in any color you want since that background color is black...
Old 04-01-2019, 11:57 PM
YetiRojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by mwlmd
If you want to choose your color and go the wrap route... consider a black one as it is much easier to wrap black cars in any color you want since that background color is black...
I'd honestly never considered the wrap route. Approximately what would that cost? That could be an option if I could buy one cheap enough. And I imagine the Dark Blue Metallic wouldn't be materially more difficult than the black? There's a blue one I've looked at that could fit the bill...
Old 04-02-2019, 04:32 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 4,951 Likes on 1,913 Posts

You can search the National Porsche Pre-Owned portal... at Porsche.com

Easy to select your color parameter and get notifications when one pops up.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:12 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mwlmd
I second this, the chances of finding a blue vert turbo s is going to be nearly impossible. I think finding a good car for the right price and then wrapping it will lead to better results.

Originally Posted by YetiRojo
I'd honestly never considered the wrap route. Approximately what would that cost? That could be an option if I could buy one cheap enough. And I imagine the Dark Blue Metallic wouldn't be materially more difficult than the black? There's a blue one I've looked at that could fit the bill...
A proper wrap job is 3500ish + around here, I'd say a great one is closer to 4500ish. I wanted a PTS 991.1 coupe, in the same colors as you lol, I did see a few pop up but as you mentioned most were over priced or had way too many miles for me to consider them mint. I think the 991.2's have a way better color palette but again at a much higher price. I ended up just getting a white one but the car had every options I wanted and more at a great price. I think the wrap will be your best compromise, as otherwise the compromise will be on either price, or options or interior color.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:24 PM
YetiRojo
Instructor

thank you for all of the responses!
Old 04-08-2019, 05:59 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

The other alternative is to maybe order a 992 turbo new in Mexico Blue.

This is Gulf Blue. Only UK 991.2 turbo s cab in this PTS colour.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:55 AM
Cirrusdriver
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Quick Reply: Unicorn hunting