Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Anyone running the new Pirelli N1 tire ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:40 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts
Default Anyone running the new Pirelli N1 tire ?

My TTS was just delivered to the dealer tonight. Pic shows I lost the tire lottery. Came with Pirelli’s. They are the newest series N1. I’ve read the N0 is terrible. Are the N1’ s better ?
Old 03-20-2019, 08:54 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I just ordered Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's that will be installed next week along with a new exhaust. I lost the lottery as well last year when my car was delivered. I feel that for the price you should be allowed to not only select your tires as you can with other options, but to have a choice during build of your car. The Pirelli's are a little noisier to begin with and in my opinion do not have the same grip and performance as the Michelins in dry and wet weather. My question is are the Pirelli's less expensive? Why have them in the first place
when most drivers don't like them.

In any event good luck with your new TTS anyway. Post pics and do what I did. Break your new car in with the Pirelli's and then order a set of new Michelin's that are quieter and grip the road better.

Jay
The following users liked this post:
AirBusPilot (03-31-2020)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:30 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJ23
I just ordered Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's that will be installed next week along with a new exhaust. I lost the lottery as well last year when my car was delivered. I feel that for the price you should be allowed to not only select your tires as you can with other options, but to have a choice during build of your car. The Pirelli's are a little noisier to begin with and in my opinion do not have the same grip and performance as the Michelins in dry and wet weather. My question is are the Pirelli's less expensive? Why have them in the first place
when most drivers don't like them.

In any event good luck with your new TTS anyway. Post pics and do what I did. Break your new car in with the Pirelli's and then order a set of new Michelin's that are quieter and grip the road better.

Jay
Thanks! Please post back when the M's are installed. That will be a great back to back comparison !
Old 03-21-2019, 12:09 AM
GordyRay
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My SA showed me some data on the new N1 tires compared to the older N0. The improvement on paper was substantial. I am in agreement, with the price we pay for the car, we want the best tire and most agree that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are awesome.
Looking forward to hearing how you like your new tires both the N1 Pirelli tires and from DJ23 on how he likes his Pilot Sport 4S tires.
Thanks.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:50 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

The N1 is a better tire, to be certain. Been using them for a while now. The feel is good from them, that's the main thing I have heard from Porsche owners about the P4S, it robs some of the steering feel.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:57 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Just drove it home in the rain. Only took it to 80mph on the interstate, but the road noise isn’t as bad as I was expecting from the Pirelli’s. MUCH less tire noise than my 2017 ZO6 had. So far, so good. Get a few break in miles on it and I’ll see how they handle LC.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:35 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Glad the ride home was good. But you have to post some pics. The threads lately have been a little slow. Hope it pics up as the weather improves.

Good luck with the new TTS.

Jay
Old 03-21-2019, 11:05 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Can't vouch for the expertise of the guy in the Porsche parts department, but he told me that the N1 tires had harder rubber than the N0. I would hope that N1 tires are superior to N0, since the N1s are higher priced. Moreover the differences between the two are substantial enough that mixing the two is prohibited.
N ratted tires are a mystery to me. For example in the tire size that I'm interested in, Michelin PS 4S are N ratted for 20" but not 19". The games that Porsche plays.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:34 AM
Paliknight
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

My TTS is being delivered around June time. Hope I win the tire lottery.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:41 AM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

I've read enough about many owners liking the MSP4s way more than the Pirellis, that I have been planning on making the switch before treadlife requires it. But I've also read that Pirelli N1s are a major improvement over N0s, (but not clear as to in what ways are they improved). My '18 TTS has the N1s with 8k miles.

So any opinions if I'd experience significantly less noise and ride harshness going from the Pirellis to Michelins, or did the N1s close the gap enough on these elements, that I should hold off? I'd say I currently experience the ride and noise as tolerable, but would like it to be better.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:23 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Beezupra
I've read enough about many owners liking the MSP4s way more than the Pirellis, that I have been planning on making the switch before treadlife requires it. But I've also read that Pirelli N1s are a major improvement over N0s, (but not clear as to in what ways are they improved). My '18 TTS has the N1s with 8k miles.

So any opinions if I'd experience significantly less noise and ride harshness going from the Pirellis to Michelins, or did the N1s close the gap enough on these elements, that I should hold off? I'd say I currently experience the ride and noise as tolerable, but would like it to be better.
I made the switch at 2500 miles, just because I was looking for more traction with the Cobb Sam Tune. Pure stock the N1's were fine for me. But only 2500 miles and some state they get worse as they get miles on them.

P4's definitely hook more power better, especially when the temps drop below 60F. If the N1's are worn out, no brainer the P4's are best. The N1's lost traction big time in cooler weather. Noise and drive.....no real improvement....but my N1's only have 2500 miles.
The following users liked this post:
Beezupra (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 09:17 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 152 Posts

Pirellis suck dead donkey dick.
The following 2 users liked this post by 0luke1:
AirBusPilot (03-31-2020), GoGators (04-02-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 12:28 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,935 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
My TTS was just delivered to the dealer tonight. Pic shows I lost the tire lottery. Came with Pirelli’s. They are the newest series N1. I’ve read the N0 is terrible. Are the N1’ s better ?
I have not used Pirelli's since high school - I have found, especially in high horsepower and in the wet, they simple do not perform, or wear, as well as the comparable Michelin.

They come on my BMW and apart from being terrible in the wet right off the bat, the first set of rears were spent in less than 11,000kms.

I am sorry you lost the lottery.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:02 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

If they are gen 4 (P Zero 4) based, they should be good. I have PZ4 on my cayenne, and they are night and day with the previous pirellis. The tread pattern looks very similar to the last gen, but that's where most of the similarity ends. They are much quieter and grip a little better. If they are PZ3-based, I would expect them to be pretty crappy. But PZ4 is pretty much even with MPS4S, maybe even sportier-feeling.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:25 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Can confirm, the last Pirelli N1s I had on the car have better steering feel and comparable dry performance to the MPS4S, probably a little more. In the wet or cold though, the PS4S are light years better.

Quick Reply: Anyone running the new Pirelli N1 tire ?