Sponsored by: Road Spy

Newbie Wannabe Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:00 PM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I’m a big fan of the Burmester system. By the way, the ‘14 does have the hard drive to store music, which is nice. I love center lock wheels. They look awesome, and they are very easy to change if you have the proper tools. While it’s true that you’ll need to get your car towed if you get a flat, this is true with 5-lug wheels also. The 991 doesn’t have a spare tire. I don’t mind the fact that it has to be towed to a Porsche dealer, as I really don’t want Bubba from the tire shop working on my car anyway.

If you go with the Turbo S, you really get all the “must have” options.
You don’t have to have it towed just use the spare tire sealant that is in the car that’ll get enough pressure in it for you to drive home or to a repair shop I store all my own tools in the car center lock torque wrench etc.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:18 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

2014: 23,000 miles - Purchased off the floor in November 2013. It was one of two "launch vehicles" allocated to each dealer- in other words, one of the earliest delivered 991 TTS. I have never had any real issues (or ANY issue at all, actually). Came specked with 5-lug TT wheels - I purchased an additional set of five-spoke traditional wheels for my summer tires. My dealer stores the winter wheel/tire set and switches out out of the summers in November. It was also specked with the multi function steering wheel and folding mirrors, both of which i had replaced immediately at the dealer for the sport versions. I preferred the paddles versus those little buttons on the multi-function. Added the alcantara sport steering wheel and matching shifter. CCB's are terrific! No brake dust. Glass sunroof preferable to me - - adds something at certain times of the year. Entry and drive, I think is a really good option for the TTS. That is the kind of car it is, in my opinion. The other option to think about are the seats. I have the 18 way - it's what the car came with, but they are not as comfortable (to me) as the simpler manually adjustable seats I have on my 2016 GTS. To me, I always feel like I am sitting "in a hole", if you get my point, the way certain car seats give one that feel. They certainly are adjustable, however. My very early delivery 2014TTS did not have the back-up camera available - just that warning/red/beeping indicator stuff to tell me when i am getting to close when backing up - - I honestly don't miss it, but I guess it could be something good. The Burmester is a plus, even if I listen to it only occasionally. I have never used the hard-drive music storage thing - maybe someday my son will show me how to do it! One thing, and I have complained to my dealer about this since day one, the six bay CD player is a "pain in the butt" to use when driving, as you are forced to choose which of the six CD bays to put it in for it to load, as if you were planning an eight hour music-coordinated drive! It's a distraction when driving. The simple single bay CD player is much better in my opinion. Anyway, the world has largely moved on from CD's, right? One thing, for ME, as I see the 911 evolution since the 14 TTS came out, I really like the information console - just the right amount of button control, or control from that additional stalk on the steering wheel - its all very intuitive. Personally, I greatly prefer it to the touch screens and menus of the later and now the new 992 generation, for example. That is all I can think of - good luck. Its a great car, for sure.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Prachatice
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you smuoio for the thorough response. Helps a lot!! Laughed at your cd comments - yes, I think those are dead at this point!
Old 02-07-2019, 01:36 PM
Prachatice
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for your responses. Helped a lot. Any thoughts on whether there are "bug" fixes on the '15 model? It sounds like people with the "14's are not experiencing any problems that were remedied on the '15's but just want to check.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:02 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 4,951 Likes on 1,913 Posts

I recently purchased a 2015 TT that was an "Exclusive" build car, the 62 options ticked all the boxes for me. There are mandatory options in the case of the TT

1. Sport Chrono
2. PDCC

Then, there are items you should look for on any TT or TTS you buy...

1. PDLS is fantastic and mandatory for my list.
2. Auto dimming mirrors.
3. Burmester - Over the top and mandatory for me.
4. 5 lug wheels - Centerlocks are a pain...
5. The more leather the better! I simply love the feel and look of leather and deviating leather/stitching.
6. Heated multi-function wheel.
7. Full Xpel wrap to protect your paint.
8. 18 way sport seats.

I am in the minority here, but I prefer the steel rotors for their initial bite and ability to modulate them (even with the brake dust). The PCCB's I have on my Turbo S often surprise me with their need to be heated up and their sensitivity to water.

Enjoy your hunt for the right car!

Quick Reply: Newbie Wannabe Questions