Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Front Axle Lift has a "hydraulic" leak, and it's not covered by the warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 10:57 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front Axle Lift has a "hydraulic" leak, and it's not covered by the warrenty?

Few days ago, the front axle lift system on my 2017 991.2 turbo stopped working. When i pressed the lift button, nothing happened. Took it to the dealership today and service advisor told me that, "the hydraulic system for the lift is leaking, looked like someone poked holes on both side of the airbag. Since they are men-made damage, the warranty wouldn't cover them". And they quoted me about $8000 Canadian Dollar for repairing. I lost my mind there.
I personally looked at the holes, they are located inside of the shocks, which means they're symmetrically facing towards each other. The chance someone poked two holes there is literally zero.

I got few questions here:
1. Is the lift system really hydraulic or just air pump?
2. Why it's gonna cost me $8000 to fix it? Isn't the lift system a $2000 dollar option? I know Techart offers an aftermarket lift system for $3000.
3. Should the damage covered by the warranty? My car has only 12k miles and it's been serviced twice plus an alignment.

I don't know what to do now. Dealership said that they could take the lift system apart and let Porsche Canada decide. But i have to pay another 6 hours of labour for that. Should i take to another dealership to double check?
Old 12-21-2018, 06:35 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

Take it to another official Porsche dealer. I remember there being a design fault on the 991.2 turbo (s) front lift system. Lots of guys were having issues so didn't bother with it.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:59 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Agree..... go to another dealer and make no mention of what you know...... go in and tell them you have a warranty claim repair.......hopefully there is another dealer near by or a US dealer you can drive to..... sounds like BS to me..... don’t understand their position.......or diagnosis.....
Old 12-21-2018, 12:54 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Sounds like BS to me as well. go to another dealer and dont mention what you have been told. once they fix it, never buy another Porsche from the first dealer.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:41 PM
Bad Boys 1
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

I think once entered it could be visable to other dealers as well.

If just the bag failed how could repair be 8k? they are not replacing entire system.

Get a second estimate with details of repair.

Maybe the system became over pressurized and blew out the bag.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:05 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Thank you guys for helping.
Since Christmas is coming, i will take the car to a Porsche center after the holiday.
Even the shop runs GT3 Cup car for the dealership suggests me go somewhere else. LOL

EDIT: maybe the issue is caused by canadian winter??
Old 12-22-2018, 12:51 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 4,463 Likes on 1,829 Posts

They would be hydraulic, given the hose leading from it.

I would go go to a different dealer. To make the claim that someone jacked your vehicle up, poked two holes in your dust boot, is comical.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:13 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

The good news is you have 4 Porsche dealers in the Toronto area according to their website, so you have alternatives. I bet if you told them you would post on Rennlist you'd be covered all of a sudden for the repair...magically :-)
Old 12-22-2018, 04:54 AM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowpue
The good news is you have 4 Porsche dealers in the Toronto area according to their website, so you have alternatives. I bet if you told them you would post on Rennlist you'd be covered all of a sudden for the repair...magically :-)
i wish they would take care of their reputation. I told the service advisor about rennlist, he didn't care tho.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:11 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow did someone seriously poke holes in your suspension? If that’s the case, your insurance should cover it. Make sure the dealer is certain that its man made...I can’t imagine how that’s possible though because they aren’t easily accessible.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:48 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,480 Likes on 951 Posts

Are these holes or cracks in the material that become holes? I'd be questioning the material itself and if it's somehow defective. The pressure level in there may have been too high as well...and I'm assuming there's a specified level of fluid in there, and also possibly overfilled past a Spec amount.

Believe it or not, sometimes you get defective materials from a supplier that may not have adequate quality checks or something slips through. This should be warranty all the way!!
Old 12-22-2018, 12:11 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by js9527
i wish they would take care of their reputation. I told the service advisor about rennlist, he didn't care tho.
So if they don't care, perhaps you can share which dealer it was?
Old 12-22-2018, 12:18 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 4,463 Likes on 1,829 Posts

From the pictures, it looks pretty obvious that it’s leaking at the fitting, right around the collar area of the lift actuator.

Is the service advisor trying to say someone poked holes in the dust boot? As if a dust boot could withstand the hydraulic pressure of lifting the front end of a 911?

The operation of the lift mechanism itself looks just like how a bottle jack works. Hydraulic fluid is pumped into a reservoir, and lifting the car up is the path of least resistance.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:32 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chance6
Are these holes or cracks in the material that become holes? I'd be questioning the material itself and if it's somehow defective. The pressure level in there may have been too high as well...and I'm assuming there's a specified level of fluid in there, and also possibly overfilled past a Spec amount.

Believe it or not, sometimes you get defective materials from a supplier that may not have adequate quality checks or something slips through. This should be warranty all the way!!
Exactly, hopefully the other dealership would do a warranty repair.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:35 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowpue
So if they don't care, perhaps you can share which dealer it was?
Downtown Porsche, i went there just because of their location. There are many ‘stories’ about this dealership. You will be suprised if you just do a rennlist fourm search.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lift has a "hydraulic" leak, and it's not covered by the warrenty?