Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What happens if I disconnect my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 09:11 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,691 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by the_buch
Weird that somehow the car can detect the difference between reconnecting the old battery and connecting a new one?.
You are backwards.

"It" - the car - cannot tell the difference. That's why the PIWIS laptop is required: to tell the car that you have replaced the battery with a new and/or different-Amp-Hour one.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:35 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Aaah, thanks - that makes sense. And, from Tom’s link, it would be also be necessary with an identical replacement.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:46 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_buch
Aaah, thanks - that makes sense. And, from Tom’s link, it would be also be necessary with an identical replacement.
I *suspect* but do not know that 'it' keeps track of battery usage over the life of the battery and uses some built-in 'knowledge' of expected battery degradation over time and usage. Thus, even an identical replacement, would need to be coded so that 'it' knows that the battery is new and thus 'reset' the statistics.

All this, under the assumption that all of this effort is to ensure that the stop/start system works as-designed.

Personally, stop/start OFF is default for our entire fleet. So, I don't GAF about stop/start.

Only those folks that make regular use of stop/stop *may* need to worry about keeping the battery statistics current in the ECUs.

Again, all of this is *speculation.* If PAG would open-source all of the code we could paw through it and determine exactly what's what.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:52 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom's link confirms my speculation.

Although, I think the warnings about damaging "your car’s fragile electrical system" is ... rather ... over-stated.

Perhaps alternators and AGM batteries are a different beast than in the 'old' days of the infant '00s. But, alternators have been 'over-charging' lead-acid batteries for almost a century and alternator and electrical system lifetime hasn't been an issue. Thus, I will remain skeptical of 'damaging' my Porsches' fragile electrical systems by not PIWISing the battery.

Quick Reply: What happens if I disconnect my battery?