Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

Winter tires

Old 10-12-2018, 10:43 PM
neil.schneider
User

Default Winter tires

So what do you guys in the colder climates do regarding tires. In the past Iíve never bothered changing my tires but I minimize my driving during the winter months. I still drive it all year round but I try to only take the car out when it is a little bit warmer and obviously no snow. I like driving my car all year around and I certainly donít want to leave it sitting in the garage for months on end without driving it. That said, Iím not sure I want to invest in winter tires and wheels. If I buy tires only, I am concerned that changing the winter tires to summer tires and back two times per year may result in damage to the tire or possibly the wheels.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:20 AM
radar979
User

I bought porsche turbo winter CLwheels pirelli sottozeros ….reasonable price and very satisfied 2 winters here in maine!!!
Old 10-13-2018, 12:30 AM
neil.schneider
User

Originally Posted by radar979 View Post
I bought porsche turbo winter CLwheels pirelli sottozeros Ö.reasonable price and very satisfied 2 winters here in maine!!!
So you bought wheels and tires?
Old 10-13-2018, 02:57 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I bought Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires and mounted them on my OE centerlock wheels. I bought new wheels for my summer tires.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:54 AM
ENCT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the dealer swap my tires each season. They have a program where they store the tires as well.
Eric
Old 10-13-2018, 11:50 AM
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by radar979 View Post
I bought porsche turbo winter CLwheels pirelli sottozeros Ö.reasonable price and very satisfied 2 winters here in maine!!!
What are the sizes your are running with....btw....the color of your car makes it look spectacular!
Old 10-14-2018, 12:51 AM
neil.schneider
User

So if you are changing your tires back-and-forth twice yearly on the rims that came with the car is there any risk of damaging the rims and or the tires?
Old 10-14-2018, 01:46 AM
radar979
User

YES I bought wheels and tires together from Porsche NA around 7 thou…245 front 295 rear
Old 10-14-2018, 02:48 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Same here. Dedicated winter wheels and summer wheels.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:31 AM
ENCT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neil.schneider View Post
So if you are changing your tires back-and-forth twice yearly on the rims that came with the car is there any risk of damaging the rims and or the tires?
I have not had a problem in the last 3 years. If I wanted aftermarket wheels I would have dedicated wheels and tires for the winter. I just don't feel like putting out $10,000 for wheels (I would get top of the line wheels, its just what I wind up doing) when I probably wont have the car that long. Also if they damage them they can repair them. And last but not least I do not want to store the wheels and or tires at my house.
Eric
Old 10-15-2018, 12:35 AM
neil.schneider
User

Originally Posted by ENCT View Post
I have not had a problem in the last 3 years. If I wanted aftermarket wheels I would have dedicated wheels and tires for the winter. I just don't feel like putting out $10,000 for wheels (I would get top of the line wheels, its just what I wind up doing) when I probably wont have the car that long. Also if they damage them they can repair them. And last but not least I do not want to store the wheels and or tires at my house.
Eric

I am leaning in this direction. I am wondering about all season tires instead of winter tires. I really donít want to drive that much in the heavy snow but donít want to worry about the summer tires slipping when it gets cold. I do notice it when the temp drops.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:44 AM
ENCT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Winter tires are best in cold weather and summer tires are best in warm weather. All seasons are ok in both. I find the winter tires inspire more confidence when the temps are low.
Eric
Old 10-16-2018, 11:34 PM
neil.schneider
User

Originally Posted by ENCT View Post
Winter tires are best in cold weather and summer tires are best in warm weather. All seasons are ok in both. I find the winter tires inspire more confidence when the temps are low.
Eric
Thanks Eric. I am guessing POTML is the dealer you use to store and change the tires for you.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:29 AM
ENCT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neil.schneider View Post

Thanks Eric. I am guessing POTML is the dealer you use to store and change the tires for you.
Yes, they are a mile from me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: