Sponsored by: Road Spy

Porsche Sport Classic Wheelset Weights inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 10:50 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Porsche Sport Classic Wheelset Weights inside

I decided the take my wheels off and weight them, in order to calculate the exact gains of a possible new wheelset.

Based on what I found on the Net, the factory Sport Classics are One-piece forged alloy wheel in 5-spoke Sport Classic design. Painted in high gloss Black with bright-polished surrounding rim. Their dimensions are:

Front axle: 9 J x 20 RO 51

Rear axle: 11.5 J x 20 RO 56

So now for the weights. I weighted one front and one rear wheel. Tire installed is a OEM Pirelli P Zero on the factory dimensions with about 4K miles, centercaps and off course TPMS sensors and wheel balancing weights.

Front

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/kouzman/, on Flickr

Rear

For what it's worth, I weighted the bungy cord by itself and it was 0.14 lbs... So subtract that from the equation...

based on the above, this would put the wheels to the approximate weight of (after subtracting tire weights from tirerack):

front 24 lbs
rear 29.5 lbs

Maybe the weights are a bit more based on how much tread I have lost during those 4K miles...

Compared to the hottest and probably lightest wheel around today the BBS FI-R we are looking at about 7 lbs savings for the front and almost 10 lbs for the rear per wheel! That would mean for the set losing 34lbs of rotational mass! I would call this freaking spectacular!!!!

Now, who wants to sponsor a set of BBS wheels? LOL!!!!

Old 10-02-2018, 12:51 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

You have no need for lighter wheels if you are putting Pzero on them. You would NEVER be able to tell the difference on daily driving, or even on track with those tires. Don't forget that the lightweight wheels often deflect more in hard cornering, so get a strong wheel, not just a light wheel. The whole "lightest weight" gimmick with wheel marketing is getting out of hand. Alternatively, if you like another wheel for appearance only, have at it!!!
Old 10-02-2018, 07:07 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Yeah, I like the OEM wheels for anything normal driving related, and unless you're going to a set of BBS magnesium wheels with slicks or cup R's...you won't feel too too much of that change on a car that's already super heavy. Now do that to a 911r or even a gt3 (the magnesium and semi slicks or slicks) and you'll likely find yourself noticing a little more agility on turn in etc etc, but even then...it's very minor.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:20 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 473 Posts

I replaced my stock tts wheels and Pirelli tires with Forgeline carbon and forged CF201's and Pilot Super Sports, saved 5 1/2 to 7 lbs per wheel and tire, did it for the looks not weight savings, although the carbon fiber absorbs road bumps in a whole different way, in a good way
Old 10-02-2018, 09:03 AM
kouzman
Racer

Originally Posted by Randyc151
You have no need for lighter wheels if you are putting Pzero on them. You would NEVER be able to tell the difference on daily driving, or even on track with those tires. Don't forget that the lightweight wheels often deflect more in hard cornering, so get a strong wheel, not just a light wheel. The whole "lightest weight" gimmick with wheel marketing is getting out of hand. Alternatively, if you like another wheel for appearance only, have at it!!!
Agreed 100%. P Zeros are not the tire of choice. Most likely on my daily runs I will switch to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and on an aftermarket set I am looking for a set of 888Rs just to try them out, including drag racing. Eventually I will probably settle on the Michelin Cup 2s.

Having modified cars over the years I can tell you that less rotational mass makes a difference. The peak of such gain was back in the day with my Lancer Evolution IX, which ended up losing upwards of 10lbs per side due to lighter brake rotors and wheels. Just about everything felt better. Acceleration, braking, turn in.

for track days I am not the super experienced but definitely stiffness and strength are wanted. I do autox quite a bit so that's what I have noticed, especially when using R comps.

and of course looks. But to me all the top wheel manufacturers look good.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:36 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Thanks for doing this. I always wondered what these wheels weigh.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:06 PM
kouzman
Racer

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Thanks for doing this. I always wondered what these wheels weigh.
My pleasure. I always wondered about their actual weight. They look amazing in my opinion, but I do see probably 20+ lbs of rotational mass savings with a better set.

More people should volunteer and do similar weights or tests. Manufacturers, both oem and aftermarket seem to be hesitant of providing such information, especially wheel weights. Personally I HAVE to know when I am to pay 5-10K for a set of wheels.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:39 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I really like the HRE light weight wheels but I am not going to part with 10k. I also love the wheels I have. I would like to drive a similar car with lighter wheels. I would bet I couldn't even tell the difference. I was happy when I found this car with these wheels. I didn't really want the center locks and I don't like the other ones they have. Too much of a pain in the *** to clean.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:46 AM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Thank you for doing this OP! If you like the BBS FI-R's it may also be worth considering the HRE R101 LW's which actually beat the BBS in weight. For obvious reasons both those models are our top sellers among Porsche owners. Since your are a Rennlist member I can provide you with special pricing on either set.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 10-08-2018, 09:20 PM
kouzman
Racer

Originally Posted by WheelsB
Thank you for doing this OP! If you like the BBS FI-R's it may also be worth considering the HRE R101 LW's which actually beat the BBS in weight. For obvious reasons both those models are our top sellers among Porsche owners. Since your are a Rennlist member I can provide you with special pricing on either set.
PM me a price for the BBS in black shipped to 11360. Thanks
Old 10-09-2018, 11:28 AM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by kouzman
PM me a price for the BBS in black shipped to 11360. Thanks
PM on the way.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:14 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 516 Posts

Who makes Porsche OEM wheels?
Old 10-09-2018, 12:38 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Who makes Porsche OEM wheels?

Im PRETTY sure it's still BBS OEM devision.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:05 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,480 Likes on 951 Posts

Hmm...that's quite a savings actually. 34 lbs total? If you went over the Michelin Pilot Sport with those new wheels I wonder how that would feel. Probably like heaven. 34 lbs rotational mass DOES matter.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:34 PM
kouzman
Racer

I put an order for a set of Advan GT Premiums. 20x9 fronts and 20x12 rears. I should be saving 4 pounds per wheel in the front and probably about 9 pounds per wheel for rear. That's about 26 pounds total. I will have exact weight as soon as I get them. Maybe not the lightest but probably about half the price of other super light wheels. And still getting made in Japan forged big name wheels.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Classic Wheelset Weights inside