Damage to front bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 12:36 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,935 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
The problem with above install is the edge was not wrapped, thus exposed and came up. Initial small bubbles can be left for a day or so after install and do usually flatten out. The quality of the result depends on the products used and expertise of the installer, very key.
Actually, the problem was the edge was not cut in a clean manner and the jaggedness of the cut meant it did not bond with the bumper cover properly. Very disappointing.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:53 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Actually, the problem was the edge was not cut in a clean manner and the jaggedness of the cut meant it did not bond with the bumper cover properly. Very disappointing.
Edge wrapping avoids this, even clean proper cuts and prep can eventually have issues.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:40 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I like the PPF idea, but it is NOT perfect. I have a few spots where they wrapped that are coming up. Certainly fixable and I just need to get over there to have it done. It is just a hour from my house and I don't feel like making the drive. It is the front of the doors. As far as the protection is concerned. I would not drive without it. I really hate chips.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:05 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I will be at my PPF installer Monday morning for a small area redo. I have the Aerokit front spoiler which was wrapped earlier this year with Suntek's best. Picked up a rock or small branch which tore the PPF but no paint damage. Instead of a repaint it's a small PPF re-wrap.
It just saves the car from the small stuff that can ruin the looks of your 911.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I spoke with the body shop and the PPF installer yesterday. The body shop told me that because of the paint and the baking process they use, you could sand the finish an hour after painting. It’s completely dried/cured in an hour. The PPF installer will be using Suntek. I’m scheduled for mid to late November.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:57 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I spoke with the body shop and the PPF installer yesterday. The body shop told me that because of the paint and the baking process they use, you could sand the finish an hour after painting. It’s completely dried/cured in an hour. The PPF installer will be using Suntek. I’m scheduled for mid to late November.
I was told to wait a month by a great PPF installer. then you are good to go. Why are you waiting until Nov?
Old 10-05-2018, 08:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

We had a rough summer in terms of hail on the front range. All the good body shops are backed up for weeks or months. As I recall, there are 91 cars on the list ahead of mine.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:43 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I did the same process as I stated above. I also put the Suntek on. You will like it very much. Clarity is great.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Dropped the car off this morning for the bumper respray (finally). It should be done by Friday morning, and the PPF will be installed immediately after. There's no paintwork planned for the metal body parts - only touchup of a few chips. Looking forward to getting the car back on Friday!
Old 11-28-2018, 09:35 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I've used Xpel on my last three cars, and with the track use I put in this car, I wouldn't own a Porsche without it. It's saved me countless times. (Now if I'd only done something with the windshield...)
Old 11-28-2018, 09:53 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

The windshield is problematic. I have several stone chips there, and I’d definitely like to protect it when the time comes to get a new one. What options are out there for windshields? Is there PPF designed for that purpose?
Old 11-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Clearplex is an option but it's expensive and scratches VERY easy...you almost need to replace every year...it does offer protection from pitting and smaller impacts...I had it once..would not do again..almost every time you use wipers if not dust free you get fine scratches...and it is not perfectly clear...as it's plastic it skews vision..for me $650
https://clearplex.com/
Old 11-29-2018, 07:45 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

This is why I don’t have one on the car currently. My experience with PPF has been negative when considering my last three cars. I’m considering refraining once again....
In all honesty I have never met a clear bra I like,.....something always happens to them after a year or two,....even top of the line install and film.

Friend has an F430 with a very good, wrapped edge job by a top shop,.....stone hit the top of the hood, put a very small hole in the clear, water got underneath and put a nice bulls-eye in the paint, had to have it re-sprayed.

I know people swear by these things,...but any small chip I get I can fix easily with just a bit of patience and know-how. My cars always look fantastic years later without a clear bra.

Go by a dealers used section,...lots of cars there with clear bras,...both good and bad installs, no matter what I can find lots of flaws where if just left alone it would have been better.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:10 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I didn’t have one installed on this car originally, for the reasons that you mentioned. Unfortunately, there’s just so much gravel on the roads here, I felt like I had to have one installed.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:18 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Well, we were close to having the car done today. The bumper cover was completed, on schedule. They were just putting things back together, when a clumsy delivery man came into the shop and knocked the freshly painted bumper cover off the stand and onto the floor, scratching it up in the process. It is now being re-prepped, re-primed, and re-painted. I should have the car early next week.

Quick Reply: Damage to front bumper cover