Sponsored by: Road Spy

Boostlogic exhaust owners, please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:48 AM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Boostlogic exhaust owners, please chime in

While I am aware of all the preferred exhaust producers on this board, I am debating the purchase of a used boostlogic titanium exhaust for my new 991.2 TTS. I prefer loud but significant drone is unacceptable to me. Can any owners comment on how they like or disliked their Boostlogic exhaust on their 991 TT based on livability around town and on long trips in regards to volume and drone. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:36 AM
Tfk
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the boostlogic exhaust on my 991.1tts for ~6 months.
As with anything, there were things I liked and disliked about it.

First and foremost, I'd like to say that sound, in general, is very subjective. Car sounds and especially, aftermarket exhaust sounds on cars, are even more subjective.
What tickles one person's fancy - sound wise - might not (and probably will not) tickle the other's. So i can only speak for myself and My opinion here. Feel free to take of it what you will.

Being a dfi turbocharged flat 6, the 911 turbo, specifically the 991, has quite a lot to offer in the sound department. Granted, it's all on the quieter side of the spectrum in stock form, but there's some flat 6 goodness, some turbo whistles and whooshes, and some off-throttle burbles for sure.

There are 3 main types of aftermarket exhausts for this car in my opinion.
1. Exhausts which emit more 'flat 6' - most x pipe exhausts fall into this category; kline race, gmg, bbi, speedtech, es motor, fabspeed, etc.
2. Exhausts which help you hear more 'turbo' noises - GAD, sharkwerks, Boostlogic, Sportec, etc.
3. OEM "+" sounding exhausts - usually the catted systems with backboxes that look similar to stock; akrapovic, europipe, tubi, etc.. It's worth including kline street as an exception in this category too.

Boostlogic Definitely falls in the type 2 category; Turbo noise amplifier.

I came to the 991tts from a 991 gt3.
In many regards, the tts & gt3 are polar opposites. Probably best not to get into that.
In terms of flat 6 sound/exhaust goodness, I thought the tts was a hopeless case at first.
Accordingly, I started contemplating an exhaust for the tts, something that would spark some life into my powerful but overly tame vacuum cleaner. Being a turbo car, I didn't care to try to get it to sound like a gt3 or any N/A flat 6 for that matter, why try finding something that can't be found...
Instead, I was intrigued by the naughty exhausts; the ones that were all...'TURBO'.

I considered a few exhausts.
I have tried and loved Akrapovic on many motorcycles and a few M cars in the past. For some reason, I didn't like their system on a 997.2tt i tried; it sounded like a catless OEM exhaust to me. Great build quality but too tame on porsches in general.
I also considered Tubi but somehow, the insanity of the boostlogic made its way to the top of my list.

Wrongly going by "991 turbo boostlogic exhaust" youtube videos (all I had to assist with exhaust homework at the time), the boostlogic exhaust seemed to have all the childish turbo sounds I thought I wanted, it had no cats/mufflers/resonators - great for big power gains I thought, and it was a feather light system made of titanium. I liked that and... I went with it. Bought it. Installed it. Started the car. Almost instantly, hated it.

Remember, the 991 turbo motor is relatively quiet, regardless of which exhaust one installs. The 991.2 turbo is even quieter for some reason by the way.
This exhaust was Loud. Pretty much as Loud as an exhaust on this motor Can be. But that wasn't the problem. Volume wasn't the problem. It was the tone. The exhaust emitted a very bland/unpleasant/un-porsche-like/grizzly bear-ish Tone.
Sure, on boost, it made the car sound as if its turbos were bigger than its wheel rims, and off throttle, it had a teenager's dream worth of whooshes and explosive backfires. But honestly, none of that could ever justify me being forced to put up with that bland and very unpleasant tone across the rev range; amplified at a high volume.
That was the issue.

And then there was also the around town "drone".
But since drone is also subjective, you/I can call it "resonance" instead if you prefer. Whatever it's called, it was like nails on a chalkboard. Between 1600-2100rpm, it would drill my brain all day, every day. Granted, it tended to smoothen out and get better once the oil temp got higher than 85 Celsius, but even then, we are talking - as near as makes no difference - 10% better.

Boostlogic was fun sometimes, at wide open throttle. But realistically, we are talking about a 911 turbo with over 500 horsepower. No matter who you are, what you drive like, or where you are, it is virtually impossible to "drive it like you stole it" 90+ percent of the time in order to begin to justify the nuances.
And even if and when you can push the car hard, at a trackday for example, it's all a little too much, and the unpleasant tones emitted at high volumes, prevail over everything else. So much so, that I flirted with the idea of trading back my tts for another gt3, or any other car.

Power wise, sure, there's a solid gain of 10-20whp, even without a tune. But one can achieve the same benefit by pairing catless pipes to the OEM muffler. Yes, I know that first hand, as that's the setup I went with for 6 months after my boostlogic experience.
On and off the dyno. The gains are Very similar.

It took me a long time to overcome the bitter taste that boostlogic exhaust/experience left in my mouth. It took me even longer to look at the car positively enough to give another 'exhaust' a shot after that.

It took more than a year and I took a bath when I finally sold the exhaust for peanuts but there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Remember earlier I wrongly assumed that it'd be pointless to try and find what can't be found? Why bother trying to get a F/I motor to sound like an N/A motor?

Couldn't have possibly been more wrong.

Kline.
Race.
Bliss.

Best of luck with your exhaust adventure...
Old 08-27-2018, 06:39 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow, awesome comparison. I can't match that review, but i'll also share my experience. I was also considering the Boost Logic titanium exhaust. Told myself i had to have it because of the intricate design, and the pie cut tubing radius' looked awesome. Pie cuts are tubing bends made of several pieces of angle cut tubing to form an entire bend, it was made popular by the JDM crowd. Honestly, i would *probably* like the sound of the Boost Logic based on thereview above, but i've never experienced it in person. I am a bit suspicious of it's relatively low price point and hugely labor intensive pie cut titanium radius bends so before buying, be sure you know exactly the country of origin and if it's a mass produced piece or hand-made in house. I have the same suspicions of the Agency Power piece too.

Coincidentally, i just posted this video on my Instagram today. My first drive with my Stage 4 Turbo S with Kline Race exhaust. I am extremely pleased with it.

View this post on Instagram
Old 08-27-2018, 06:49 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

That sounds amazing!!!
Old 08-28-2018, 06:15 AM
Tfk
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
Wow, awesome comparison. I can't match that review, but i'll also share my experience. I was also considering the Boost Logic titanium exhaust. Told myself i had to have it because of the intricate design, and the pie cut tubing radius' looked awesome. Pie cuts are tubing bends made of several pieces of angle cut tubing to form an entire bend, it was made popular by the JDM crowd. Honestly, i would *probably* like the sound of the Boost Logic based on thereview above, but i've never experienced it in person. I am a bit suspicious of it's relatively low price point and hugely labor intensive pie cut titanium radius bends so before buying, be sure you know exactly the country of origin and if it's a mass produced piece or hand-made in house. I have the same suspicions of the Agency Power piece too.

Coincidentally, i just posted this video on my Instagram today. My first drive with my Stage 4 Turbo S with Kline Race exhaust. I am extremely pleased with it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm_jIfXg...rydahamster808
You are spot on about the BL exhaust design. Thank you very much for adding that.

Pie cut welds are indeed Beautiful.
So beautiful they make you (me) wanna run the car without its rear bumper on to expose all that fancy purply blue titanium down there.
Realistically, I suspected that would never happen and of course it never did in the end.
But 'titanium' and the lobster tail design were definitely a big part of the appeal - and both helped justify the price tag at the time (considerably higher than now) - nonetheless.
Besides, I always fancied Motocorse lobster tail titanium headers for one of my bikes in particular. And for some reason, that never happened. Those are Gorgeous -- for anyone that has an appreciation for lobster tail titanium, they're worth having a look at...
So that too, helped convince me to buy the BL exhaust for the tts.

Like you said, you'd have to try it for yourself in person to be certain but.. I don't doubt that you - as well as many other people - probably would like the sound of the BL exhaust.
In my opinion, it is a tad too tinny and hollow sounding; which works well on some N/A V8's (think catless inconel exhaust on 4.0l S65 v8 in the e92 m3) but not as well on a turbocharged flat 6. In my opinion, it just doesn't emit the most pleasant symphony in general.
That said, it is Different.
And it is Wicked.

At the time I was running (and hating) the BL exhaust, I remember toying with the idea of adding equal length tubular headers. I knew/know for a fact they'd change the character and tone of the exhaust. I just wasn't quite sure if that was going to be a better or worse 'change'. And i was too bothered and frustrated to invest further time and money into further trial and error.
However, tubular headers+BL exhaust on a 991tt might be a good setup for #becauseracecar? people perhaps.
Maybe 'food for thought' for someone out there.

From memory/the internet, I recall BL to be an American company. I don't know whether they make their exhausts in-house, in their home country, or if the job is outsourced elsewhere.
But I can and will vouch for the quality of the BL exhaust regardless of where it is or might be made; ~10,000 kilometers and a trackday. Absolutely no cracks or quality issues whatsoever.
Strangely, someone else's aftermarket stainless steel exhaust (on another 991tt) had enough and kicked the bucket that same trackday.

Finally, your video...
McDonalds 720 what? Pista who? Performante where?

God bless.. That stage 4 is really Something.
Hats off to you sir.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:17 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 592 Likes on 332 Posts

Necropost....had to resurrect this thread and say my experience with Boost Logic has been very different than the above reviewers.

I have tried multiple systems and each have had some but not all of the characteristics I have been looking for. Been hunting for a tastefully-loud and "exotic" sound for the 991 Turbo...the best combo of tone, pitch, volume, audible turbo spool...with little to no drone. No easy task on the 991 Turbo. I settled this time on catless Boost Logic or catless Kline Inconel. The BL videos seemed to have the tone, volume and turbo spool I was after. I also liked the idea of a light, full titanium, eye-candy system that employs helmholtz tubes. I had helmholtz tubes on the beautiful Unobtainium exhaust I had on my 996 turbo and IME they really helped the tone/drone of that system.

Kline inconel was a good $3000-3500 more and from what I've heard, the audible turbo sounds are also mostly non-existent on Kline. Thus far, I'm glad I went the more unique and less traveled route with Boost Logic...​​​​​​

The design, construction and welds on the Boost Logic system are very nice overall. It seems to be a very well made and reinforced titanium system. It was tough to get hung and aligned correctly - my shop had to talk to Boost Logic's tech for tips on fitment but they figured it out. The tips could be a tad lower but I will play with them to see if I can bring them down a bit. There is some adjustability in the final angled tubes and tips.

Cold start:
The BL system sounds good and doesn't burble and pop as much as previous systems (which I like). It mostly just has a deep monotone idle. Warm idle is low and growly (but not annoyingly "bearish" like another here posted).

Revving:
Sounds awesomely mean when revving the car. I'm not into revving the crap out of a car but this system will make me want to do it now and then, lol. It sounds aggro and mean. Really sounds good in person.

Cruising:
The car seems very tame and not obnoxious or attention getting in low rpm's. You can keep it pretty quiet if you want to. Cruising at slightly higher RPM's it starts to sound pretty diabolical...just adopts a really exotic, raw and mean race car tone. The turbo whistle is super prevalent and sounds awesome.

WOT:
Sounds really, really good! Considerably higher pitched or "GT'ish" now - perhaps not as much as Kline Inconel but it still sounds REALLY good. The tone is absolutely mean, without being too "tinny or hollow" at all. It definitely has different tonal characteristics than all the other stainless systems I've heard and IMO and in this case, that's a good thing.

Drone:
Non-existent and I know drone when I hear it. I'm actually very sensitive to drone and got rid of previous systems because of it. The tone and drone of the BL system really seem to be well controlled by the helmholtz tubes. This system is actually a good amount quieter in the cabin overall than my previous catless FVD Brombacher (and the FVD had more baffling/sound absorption). I am assuming this is coming from the unique BL design with helmholtz tubes, since this system has no baffling at all. I'm perplexed that the reviewer above complained about drone everywhere, I've yet to hear any...just nicely louder exhaust notes.

Burble & Pops:
In sport and sport + and letting off the gas, the burble and pop noises are less pronounced with this BL catless. From inside the car, I'd say this system almost sounds like it "cracks" more than it pops. The FVD systems it's replacing made big pops/bangs off the throttle in Sport+. I like that the BL system is a bit less pronounced in that department and that the tone is a bit less obtrusive (at least from the inside the car).

To be honest, I don't understand the bad comments about the BL exhaust. I absolutely love it. All the guys at the Porsche shop were in love with it. They too said they've never seen/heard anything like it for the 991. The tech begged me to get on it as I was leaving, so he could hear the car from the outside.

Anyhow, I look forward to more miles as the system fully breaks in the titanium turns all those pretty colors.

I'll post another impression after more miles as well as some drive/fly by videos.

So far, I'm a huge fan.

Last edited by MotoJB; 04-25-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:52 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If nothing else, this thread really demonstrates how Turbo exhaust systems are highly subjective.... What one owner loves, another hates. And that you absolutely positively can't rely on youtube videos to make your decision.

On my 991.1 TTS, I'm trying to recreate the blissful (but admittedly fairly loud) exhaust note I have on my 996 Turbo with a semi-custom catless titanium X-pipe.

I've heard a few in person. Kline, Soul, FVD, stock with cat eliminators (what I'm currently running) and about to try a take-off Sharkwerks exhaust on my catless setup.

I'll post up when I find my own personal secret sauce!

Last edited by pfbz; 04-26-2021 at 11:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MotoJB (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 12:52 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pfbz
If nothing else, this thread really demonstrates how Turbo exhaust systems are highly subjective.... What one owner loves, another hates. And that you absolutely positively can't rely on youtube videos to make your decision.

On my 991.1 TTS, I'm trying to recreate the blissful (but admittedly fairly loud) exhaust note I have on my 996 Turbo with a semi-custom catless titanium X-pipe.

I've heard a few in person. Kline, Soul, FVD, stock with cat eliminators (what I'm currently running) and about to try a take-off Sharkwerks exhaust on my catless setup.

I'll post up when I find my own personal secret sauce!
Ha, yeah, that's for sure...although my taste usually matters the most, lol. I agree with you on the online video thing, they don't tell the whole story in person. Hearing my first few exhaust setups live, the result wasn't quite what I was hoping for through hearing the videos. With that said, oddly, I got everything I was hoping for in the video's this time with the BL exhaust...nothing bad but in some ways, better in person.

Any pics of that semi-custom catless xpipe?

Catless Sharkwerks is seriously loud and IMO is about as obnoxiously raw as you can get (aside of test pipes). Buddy has that setup and I had something similar with a catless 3" SpeedTech xpipe (no resonators/mufflers)...I also had a QuickSilver 2.5" xpipe system (which I didn't put on after the SpeedTech experience and hearing the Sharkwerks system).

Catless Shakwerks has some characteristics I like as well as much that I don't. Overall I wouldn't call the tone while revving or at WOT "blissful" by any stretch. BTW, get ready for the drone and the double barrel shotgun sounds (in Sport / +). My friend scares people on the street all the time, it's pretty funny.

Last edited by MotoJB; 04-27-2021 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:17 AM
wgr73
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB

In this photo....is that a built in O2 spacer for no CEL?
Old 05-24-2021, 02:54 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wgr73
In this photo....is that a built in O2 spacer for no CEL?
Yep.
The following users liked this post:
wgr73 (05-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 01:23 AM
Lofvis
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone running BL headers? any feedback?
Old 09-24-2021, 05:40 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,841 Likes on 2,925 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
While I am aware of all the preferred exhaust producers on this board, I am debating the purchase of a used boostlogic titanium exhaust for my new 991.2 TTS. I prefer loud but significant drone is unacceptable to me. Can any owners comment on how they like or disliked their Boostlogic exhaust on their 991 TT based on livability around town and on long trips in regards to volume and drone. Thanks in advance.
I should have read the post...

Last edited by 2fcknfst; 09-24-2021 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Because I was too quick.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:10 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Is it 👎 or 👍?
Old 09-24-2021, 09:30 PM
Lofvis
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Replies is reflecting the titanium exhaust not the headers.

Quick Reply: Boostlogic exhaust owners, please chime in