Sponsored by: Road Spy

Development of the Fastest 991 Turbo in the US - TSM Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 05:36 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default PDK

Any comments re whether this PDK solution will work well for longer duration events like road course track events. Even for 750-850 hp levels I hear over heating and slippage are a problem.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:35 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 474 Posts

What would it cost me to build a 4.0 and trans for 1200 hp, for the street, you can pm me, TY
Old 06-23-2018, 03:16 PM
Cicio Performance
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
Any comments re whether this PDK solution will work well for longer duration events like road course track events. Even for 750-850 hp levels I hear over heating and slippage are a problem.
We don’t have any direct experience with road course with the upgraded Dodson clutch in the PDK yet. I road course my personal 991 quite a bit and it will soon have a clutch in it so I can report back.

Howecer after driving it around around town and in anger in the mountains and at the half I can tell you it is very well mannered and I wouldn’t be scared of it one bit on a road course personally.

Originally Posted by hcvone
What would it cost me to build a 4.0 and trans for 1200 hp, for the street, you can pm me, TY
yes sir I can private message you right now.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:51 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Although I have many questions, two offhand: (1) why did you not use a Bosch ECU? and (2) under full load (full throttle) how long will the engine last, i.e., 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile events are interesting but the real test of an engine for most of us would seem to be endurance.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:10 PM
Cicio Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Although I have many questions, two offhand: (1) why did you not use a Bosch ECU? and (2) under full load (full throttle) how long will the engine last, i.e., 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile events are interesting but the real test of an engine for most of us would seem to be endurance.

Question number one is pretty simple. The factory ECU does not have the ability to control the secondary injectors and properly manage them. Not to mention that it was designed to control a car making less than half the power. While it works, the full stand alone with the safety parameters, zero limitations with torque reduction and control, as well as things like Motorsports style traction control make it a much better fit at this power level.

As for the engine longevity I completely understand that most customers care about long lasting performance. The half mile “testing” if you will is more just putting the build through extreme conditions that ultimately help prove its reliability.

That said the technology we use in our other style engines has crossed over and we certainly strive for excellence when it comes to holding power AND lasting the client through the years of their ownership. That fact hasn’t been proven yet simply because time had not passed, but it will be! We have similar style engines running that have been together for 50k miles and still perform flawlessly.

I’m extremely confident that longevity will not be an issue whatsoever as the years of our engines roll on.

Very good questuins thank you for posting. Please feel free to ask anymore you have!
Old 06-23-2018, 05:23 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Of course, Bosch has more sophisticated units so I still wonder why you didn't use them. And as to my other question, candidly you talked very well around it but never directly answered it.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Cicio Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Of course, Bosch has more sophisticated units so I still wonder why you didn't use them. And as to my other question, candidly you talked very well around it but never directly answered it.

Forgive me if I skirted anything I am replying from my phone while doing house stuff. However I feel I provided very good information for you to make an informed decision on for yourself.

Your questuon “how long will the engine last under full throttle” is one I could only answer definitively if I had bolted an engine to a engine dyno and ran it wide open until it blew up. I don’t know any aftermarket company that has ever done such a thing. So if you call me not know down to the hour when the engine will fail “skirting” then I’m very sorry. That information isn’t something I have at my disposal.

And Bosch does not make an ECU that will control the aftermarket things I need to on this car. It would be an extreme headache and make the car less reliable to try to adapt such a thing. That is why I used the system by Syvecs that was designed to control the said upgrades.

Thanks.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:53 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 474 Posts

Thanks for answering my questions in the pm, yes we would like to know how the new clutches work on road course, and probably will have to drive it to see how sick it really is.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:27 PM
Aggie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man this is just fantastic Cicio. I had an Alpha 12 GTR before my 991 Turbo on a motec built and tuned by T1, but I always enjoyed watching the TSM builds as well. Can't wait to see what the future holds for you guys.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:07 PM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work cicio. Congrats!!
Old 07-19-2018, 12:02 AM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow awesome work. Good to have a top shelf GT-R tuner working on Porsches. There's a lot of catch-up to be done
Old 07-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Cicio Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MikeAWD
Nice work cicio. Congrats!!
Thanks Mike!!!

Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
Wow awesome work. Good to have a top shelf GT-R tuner working on Porsches. There's a lot of catch-up to be done

The GT-R is an amazing platform and we have pushed it to the limits... that won't stop. However the Porsche stuff is so exciting and my entire team is determined to be among the best in the world at them. We will keep pushing! Thanks!
Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Hell, I'm just happy to have a Porsche tuner on the East Coast. We'll be doing some business together. You probably should be a dealer for TPC racing's DSC box, too. Cantrel is making the best half cage. Why not also add HRE in the correct fitments, while I'm at it. Happy to micro-manage your business without your asking!!
Old 07-19-2018, 03:24 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 952 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Hell, I'm just happy to have a Porsche tuner on the East Coast. We'll be doing some business together. You probably should be a dealer for TPC racing's DSC box, too. Cantrel is making the best half cage. Why not also add HRE in the correct fitments, while I'm at it. Happy to micro-manage your business without your asking!!
I second this. We'd love to help play a part in this epic build. Let us know if we can help set you up with HRE R101 Lightweights

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 07-19-2018, 03:31 PM
Cicio Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Randyc151

We have been direct with HRE for longer than I can remember, done quite a bit of business with TPC but the first I have heard of Cantrel's half cage so I'll happily look into it.

Originally Posted by WheelsB
I second this. We'd love to help play a part in this epic build. Let us know if we can help set you up with HRE R101 Lightweights

Thanks guys! You are way too big for us. We will stick to our 1 set of wheels a month and just build race cars LOL

Quick Reply: Development of the Fastest 991 Turbo in the US - TSM Build Thread