Sponsored by: Road Spy

GT silver on a turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Jeff Kay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT silver on a turbo S

thoughts on this with black aero kit.. thinking coupe or convertible thoughts??
my sales guy tells me NO dont do gt silver on turbo S

help
Old 06-12-2018, 08:18 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

Why would the sales guy tell you no? I just placed my order for my 2019 Turbo S in GT Silver. The C4S I sold was GT Silver. I got some Black accents as well, not the aero kit but other items. Don't listen to the sales guy, buy what you like.
Eric
Old 06-12-2018, 09:19 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Hard to argue with GT Silver. Sales guy is an idiot.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:39 PM
Jeff Kay
Instructor

u guys own coupe or convertible?
I like the looks pretty even, maybe the coupe a little better but the ride of the coupe is firmer and sportier.
If I go with cab id definitely use it
im tossed
Old 06-12-2018, 10:24 PM
pullover
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What options appear to slow a build?

On a 2019 TT-S some have posted they think certain options have slowed their build. One posted, rear wiper was 8-10 weeks. Another, was deviated stitching on rear seats was months. Can anyone substantiate options other than special ext.paint to order or oddball selections that do substantially slow orders? Excluding of course, Poss. supply disruptions.
Just to add on earlier post, I too love G.T. Silver!
Old 06-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

What's wrong with this? Tell your sales guy to choose the color he wants when he buys one.
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2018, 12:02 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Kay
u guys own coupe or convertible?
I like the looks pretty even, maybe the coupe a little better but the ride of the coupe is firmer and sportier.
If I go with cab id definitely use it
im tossed
Jeff, if you’re thinking that you want a cab in your heart, but your head is telling you that a coupe is somehow a more legitimate, sportier car, then go with your heart (because your head would be wrong).

My current car is a 2015 Turbo S Cabriolet. The one before that was a 2007 GT3 (drove it for 9 years). In other words, I just transitioned from one of the most visceral, hard core GT cars that Porsche makes (primarily for track junkies) to one of the most refined and luxurious (by comparison) 911’s ever made. And despite this transition from “firm and light” to “soft and heavy”, I am still just as quick in the cab as I was in the GT3.

Sure, the extra hp makes a difference, but even on street tires, I am pulling the same lateral g’s in the cab as I was in the GT3 on Hoosiers. Think about that... that’s not a straight line acceleration comparison. That’s cornering dynamics, and sore thigh muscles at the end of the session from letting it all hang out in the turns. In a cab. Just picture that in your head for a moment.

So don’t believe for a second that a cab is somehow a lesser sports car. In fact, if anything I’d say it’s a more complete car compared to the coupe - it can do everything the coupe can do - even on the track - and still drop its top for a completely different experience for the ride home. Yeah yeah yeah, the coupe is stiffer, lighter, and 1/10 of a second faster in the quarter mile. BUT... you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference if you’re being really honest with yourself. Few of us are good enough drivers to discern the difference, much less convert that into consistently lower lap times. And if you have no intention of tracking the car either way, well then what are you really concerned about?

Now there are plenty of other reasons to favor a coupe over a cab. For example, you could say that a coupe is safer than a cab. Less likely to get hit in the head by flying debris in an accident. Lots of other legitimate things to consider... But it doesn’t sound like you’re torn over anything but the “sportiness” factor, so I say get over it and go with your heart and eventually realize that these cars are always more capable than we are as drivers - even cabs.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been a PCA instructor for over 10 years, and I’ve tracked 2 different cabs and 2 different coupes over the last 15 years. So I’m not just blowing smoke.

Also, FWIW, the car in my sig is Rhodium Silver. Not the same as GT Silver, but gives you an idea of what a silver cab looks like.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:21 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Love GT silver

While hunting for my TTS I failed to locate a GT Silver one and ended up with dark blue. Not bad of a color either, esp with espresso/cognac interior, but still GT Silver has my heart.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:37 AM
swoobie
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

It's your car, buy what you want. If he's intimating that GT silver won't sell well, then I think he's wrong...
Old 06-13-2018, 06:15 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by pullover
On a 2019 TT-S some have posted they think certain options have slowed their build. One posted, rear wiper was 8-10 weeks. Another, was deviated stitching on rear seats was months. Can anyone substantiate options other than special ext.paint to order or oddball selections that do substantially slow orders? Excluding of course, Poss. supply disruptions.
Just to add on earlier post, I too love G.T. Silver!
My dealer did not mention anything that would slow the build. I do not have PTS or deviated stiching. I am trying to get Porsche to paint the top of my wing Black (like on the aero kit). They say they will have a answer this week. If it holds anything up it will stay Silver. I have been without my car for a week and will be without one until the end of August, the last thing I need is a delay.
Eric
Old 06-13-2018, 08:44 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

GT silver with a red top. I'm partial to that.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:50 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

GT Silver looks great. Get it with glass roof and black aerokit. Also get the Red/Black interior with that. Will be stunning.

What trade offer are they giving you on the 2017?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:22 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 473 Posts

The Porsche silver is very nice, would have got that color but too many silver cars in the garage now, maybe the 992
Old 06-13-2018, 11:03 AM
Henry Clemes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff Kay
thoughts on this with black aero kit.. thinking coupe or convertible thoughts??
my sales guy tells me NO dont do gt silver on turbo S

Strange comment to make as colour is such a personal issue. Having had most Porsche colours by far my favorite on the turbo is GT silver.
with added black aero and roof looks even better, in my opinion. I find it also always looks clean when it’s not.help

Old 06-13-2018, 11:17 AM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Hard to argue with GT Silver. Sales guy is an idiot.
Ditto

Quick Reply: GT silver on a turbo S