Sponsored by: Road Spy

Practicality vs. aesthetics

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 12:04 AM
pullover
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Practicality vs. aesthetics

I would appreciate your opinions in regards to a potential 2019 TTS coupe build. As a 30+ yr. P-club member I am interested in a conservative ext. I believe white #1 best seller, black, gt-silver & agate-gray. I am leaning toward agate/blk. & gt-silver/blk. Maybe silver shows less dust pollen, dirt etc? Not worried about resale, however silvers/grays appear to be less desirable currently.Not very scientific. Always found metallic difficult to touch-up, vs. say guards red, blk. etc. So...... 1-5 aesthetics on rt. side below:
1. gt silver vs. agate gray - blk.int.
2. retractable mirrors vs. sport (gt.)
3.extended deviated thread - gt silver vs. yellow
4. steel sunroof vs, delete
5. turbo wheels vs. ctr. locks
along with the following: LEDs/blk., dynamic light system, tinted tailllights, side skirts painted, pwr. s. plus, LCA, seats heat/cool, smoke pkg., l.net, C.F. sills - anything missing? Dlr. factory options ,like thicker s.wheel threa

Lastly, is X-pel the preferred?
Thanks in advance.
P.S. Thank you 99999 for sharing the wonder photos of your son, you & Pcar. May you continue to have wonderful times together.
Be safe Happy Memorial Day weekend all, be SAFE.
pullover
Old 05-26-2018, 12:42 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I’ll be happy to give you my thoughts.

1. A Porsche is a special car. Why go with an ordinary color? Black, silver, gray, and white are boring. Mix it up!
2. I have retractable side mirrors. I think they’re a waste of money unless you park in tight spots or frequently parallel park in urban areas.
3. I’m a big fan of deviated thread. Match to your exterior paint choice.
4. I’m a cabriolet guy, but if I bought a coupe, I’d delete the sunroof.
5. Centerlock. They are gorgeous, and they are easier to change once you have the right tools.

I’m not a PPF guy, but many people like it. I can’t give you advice there.

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2018, 03:16 AM
pullover
Instructor

Default Practicality vs Aesthetics

Thanks Dennis C,
Gt S. & Agate are about as under the radar as one can get. Agate all detailed out is a beautiful median, low keyed. The black leather int.with, perhaps yellow stitching, is a nice contrast, while adding stock carbon int. accents & carbon sill plates. Rear deck lettering painted in black. Turbo-S is a statement in itself. I agree with most of your selections. Deviated S to match ext. paint, however agate paint, agate thread on black int. not much contrast. I used yellow deviating thread picking up TTS yellow calipers. Together a little combined contrast of int/ext. yellow pop.
Over 50 yrs. of cars, 2 yellows, 7 reds, 1 deep violet, 2 green, 2 blue, 2 black, 2 white. No silver or gray. Good time to blend in, spirited driving, low key style.
Drive safe, pullover
Old 05-26-2018, 07:22 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by pullover
I would appreciate your opinions in regards to a potential 2019 TTS coupe build. As a 30+ yr. P-club member I am interested in a conservative ext. I believe white #1 best seller, black, gt-silver & agate-gray. I am leaning toward agate/blk. & gt-silver/blk. Maybe silver shows less dust pollen, dirt etc? Not worried about resale, however silvers/grays appear to be less desirable currently.Not very scientific. Always found metallic difficult to touch-up, vs. say guards red, blk. etc. So...... 1-5 aesthetics on rt. side below:
1. gt silver vs. agate gray - blk.int.
2. retractable mirrors vs. sport (gt.)
3.extended deviated thread - gt silver vs. yellow
4. steel sunroof vs, delete
5. turbo wheels vs. ctr. locks
along with the following: LEDs/blk., dynamic light system, tinted tailllights, side skirts painted, pwr. s. plus, LCA, seats heat/cool, smoke pkg., l.net, C.F. sills - anything missing? Dlr. factory options ,like thicker s.wheel threa

Lastly, is X-pel the preferred?
Thanks in advance.
P.S. Thank you 99999 for sharing the wonder photos of your son, you & Pcar. May you continue to have wonderful times together.
Be safe Happy Memorial Day weekend all, be SAFE.
pullover
For me it would be silver over the gray, sport mirrors, deviated thread - yellow, sunroof or nothing, center locks, look like a pain, but real simple, I have Xpel on some cars and Llumar or others, both work great.
My car is metallic white, I ordered an 18' paint to match, but this 17' came along and it was a once in a lifetime deal, although I hope for another when the 992 tts comes out
Old 05-26-2018, 07:35 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I am finalizing my order as well and am going GT Silver, sunroof delete, sport mirrors, center lock wheels. It is close to what I have now and am happy with everything but am looking for the extra HP. Also thinking of doing White dials, Alcantara visors, and tinted tail lights. I cannot wrap myself around the deviated stitching but it is in the back of my mind and would be GT Silver if I did it.
Have fun building,
Eric
Old 05-26-2018, 07:45 AM
Cay911
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I find my Agate Grey Metallic does not show the dirt, dust or pollen that other colors do and I am frequently complimented on the color and enjoy the "blend in" factor as I sometimes drive a "bit" over the posted limits. I also have the whole car wrapped in Xpel Ultimate with a Nano coating. Overkill? Maybe for some but it looks like I might surpass 20,000 miles in my first year of ownerhip with many 300 to 400 mile days plus many 1,000 mile trips included and the Xpel has saved me from many rock chips etc already. Rte 95 from North of Boston to FL is debris laden.

As far as Coupe goes, that was always my first choice until I spent a few days in a rented 911 CS4 Cab but if I had the coupe I would want the head room available with out the sunroof. Folding mirrors make it easier to get around car in my garage and protects the mirrors while public parking. Deviated stiching all the way and I would consider matching instruments and seat belts.

Last edited by Cay911; 05-26-2018 at 07:47 AM. Reason: spell error
Old 05-31-2018, 02:13 AM
Gjon777
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

Cay911, I love the Red seat belts and contrast stitching on your Agate Grey car. Looks awesome! I haven't seen many with that color combo

Pullover, I like both the silver and agate grey. I was personally considering the silver before I finally chose the flashier red. So:
1) I would go with GT silver
2) I really don't have a preference on the mirrors. I went standard
3) the extended deviated thread in silver. Ive seen a few and love it. prefer it over the yellow, but you can't go wrong either way.
4) I wanted to delete the sunroof. More than a few people told me it would hurt resale value. ultimately i chose glass sunroof because it lets in light and makes the black interior look lighter and better in my opinion.
5) I prefer the turbo wheels and since I got the turbo, and not the S I wasn't interested in paying more for the center lock wheel
If you are getting tinted tail lights and the black LED's, I think getting the
Old 05-31-2018, 07:42 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

The good news is there are no bad choices as in the end you end up with a TTS which is an amazing car.
I am a GT Silver owner now coming from a Guards Red 4S and a previous Agate TT.
Sport mirrors are my choice but I have Espresso/Cognac interior which is beautiful with GT Silver and not as hot as a black interior. I went 5 lug over CL as I like to change wheel styles and felt there would be more options 5 lug but I do like the CL's. Lighting package and trim is really up to you and how you personalize it to make it yours. If you are going to be a track nut, delete the sun roof if you are more of a weekend cruiser the open air is great. These are amazing cars you can't go wrong.
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2018, 08:44 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,480 Likes on 951 Posts

I love the black sport classic wheels, they look great with GT silver. I also went 5-lug Turbo wheels on mine at no cost. I like the CL too but having to deal with a huge torque wrench to me is kind of silly for only an occasional track car and really zero benefit to actual performance.

Sunroof is a personal choice obviously, but the glass roof does add a bit of weight.

What about Burmester?? May want to consider...
Old 06-05-2018, 12:46 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I am smitten by GT Silver, and on my third car in that color. It's gorgeous, but understated and classic. I had the retractable mirrors on my first TTS and was very disappointed. They are just plain ugly, and the standard mirrors are the only way to fly for me. Also, I like silver deviated stitching, but I only get black interiors because I don't like being distracted by the interior colors when I am driving. I opened the sunroof on my first TTS about 10 times, then about 3 times on my second, and went with no sunroof this last time and really like the added headroom for my helmet. I bought the tools on Amazon for under $500 for the center lock wheels, and would never consider anything else from now on.

Sounds like you have great options!
Old 06-05-2018, 03:21 AM
pullover
Instructor

Default 991.2 options

Thanks Randyc151 - I have read some of your threads, some good info on track setup. The info on DSC V box, please excuse, new to me. I find it absolutely fascinating, almost too good to be true. It appears you have some serious seat time. I have to suffer thru sept. order, build, delivery in Nov. Keeping fingers crossed no imported car import tax. Other than the fixed degree of rear toe on 4w steering, would you set up car with straight a forward alignment? Thats with stock everything for awhile. Maybe - 11/2 `. F. camber, & - 2 `neg rear, if poss. on 991.2. As most manfg. do I assume P. car ships with too much f. toe (to induce understeer)? Maybe dead straight. Some break-in time, learn the car, the suspension, breaks, etc. Looks like slotted steel rotors, stock calipers & P.pads #??
Beautiful TTS by the way, GTSilver is classic & beautiful/ black int.
Elliott991tts owned a12 CLS63AMG he reports rode more harsh than TTS. That IS Vey interesting. I last drove an AMG V8 Kompressor, ride was beautiful, car was a missile.
Thanks, pullover
Old 06-05-2018, 08:38 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I do run a nearly straight toe, also. I'd spend plenty of time getting used to the car before you make that adjustment, so you know the differences and can dial in your personal preference. The DSC V3 box, on a lowered car, really is almost too good to be true. Believe me, it's taken the car from brute to sweetheart on the street, and curbing on track very rarely upsets the car now. I don't understand why Porsche or Bosch don't just buy this product and use it instead of the standard PASM controller.

I forgot to mention, I do have Xpel over the whole front end, A pillars, and the leading edge of the roof, the rockers, and around the rear wheel arches. I've used it for several cars now and it's worth every penny. I've had to replace the Xpel on the bumper before due to cuts and blemishes in the paint, but it makes it very easy to do paint touch ups and then re-wrap the nose.

Pullover, where do you live?
Old 06-05-2018, 12:54 PM
pullover
Instructor

Default TTS -991,2

From the N.E. area orig. Ran with metro N.Y. PCA @ Bridgehampton for years, belong to CVR currently - ran Limerock, THEGlenn, mid Ohio, Mt Tremblant, Mossport, Sebring, .......... Currently Northern Rockies, front range.

Quick Reply: Practicality vs. aesthetics