Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Champion porsche won’t refund my deposit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

My big concern is how casually some here are writing off the "right or wrong" by the OP and focusing on the business decisions of the dealer. My word is my word, regardless of what other people do. Not sure why that's so hard for some to grasp.

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Most consumer oriented businesses do things everyday they don't have to. I am in the fashion goods business. On a regular basis we get customers that will return or write to us about product they have owned for over 10 years and beat to death in wear thinking that our product or any product has a lifetime warranty and would like a replacement at no cost.
We don't have to honor but in 99.9% of the times we do. Why, because in today's world people talk about brands and their purchasing and ownership experiences person to person and via the internet to thousands of persons. Its worth it to us to keep people happy with the brand and their ownership experience and we know most consumers will not act that way. Its always better to be smart in business not just right.
I agree, and I eat things my customers force on me, too. It still makes me disappointed in these people when they do something unscrupulous because they know the right business decision for me is to smile and get pooped on. People should look in the mirror, and stop doing shady stuff just because they can and do get away from it.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:13 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Its always better to be smart in business not just right.
This..
Old 05-10-2018, 03:16 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randyc151
My big concern is how casually some here are writing off the "right or wrong" by the OP and focusing on the business decisions of the dealer. My word is my word, regardless of what other people do. Not sure why that's so hard for some to grasp.
Because "your word" will not sell cars. Your "reputation" will.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Its always better to be smart in business not just right.
But at this point we have no idea whether or not the OP has received his deposit back, or will in fact receive his deposit back in the next several weeks, as part of the normal process.

I think it appropriate and prudent to wait for all the facts to come in before judging the situation.

Based on the only post the thread starter made here, I don't have nearly enough facts to render personal judgement.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:17 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
That I don't know; maybe, maybe not.

This I do know; that the following represents some people's thought process...

And that right there is worth the $1000 easy. People DO believe what they read online. You and I cannot change that.
For $1000, the high road is a no brainer...
Old 05-10-2018, 03:26 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Because "your word" will not sell cars. Your "reputation" will.
Right here. This is where you completely miss the morality of the customer's decision to be unfair to the business.

We all agree the dealer should have smartly given the guy the $1000 back to shut him up. Some are missing the bigger point of the matter that is the customer's responsibilities and ethics should stop them from paying a deposit on a car and then unfairly renegotiating after the deal is locked. Otherwise, why bother with deposits at all - just make it first come/first served with cash only. It only makes matters worse by trashing the company publicly when the customer is not permitted to defraud the business out of a deposit that should rightfully be retained by the dealer for defaulting on a deal. Apparently you and I are speaking different languages. Forget the dealer's side, focus on what the OP is doing for a minute. Character is doing the right thing, not just always winning.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

And that right there is worth the $1000 easy.
I don't think so.

People DO believe what they read online.
Not most of the people I know.

Do you believe what you read on the Internet??

For $1000, the high road is a no brainer...
But you don't know what the resolution of the deposit is.

The dealer may well be in the process of refunding the deposit. They could have already refunded the deposit.

If they indeed don't refund the deposit because of the agreement, then I personally don't hold that against them. Someone pissed off about the agreement and going to the Internet to wrongly extract their pound of flesh does not cause me to have a problem with the dealer. I know in this case that if I owned the dealership and he ever showed again wanting to buy a car, and I knew he was responsible for the Internet fake news, I'd not sell him any of my cars.

If and when I ever know the facts of this case, I will at that time decide how I feel about the situation.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:34 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Right here. This is where you completely miss the morality of the customer's decision to be unfair to the business.

We all agree the dealer should have smartly given the guy the $1000 back to shut him up, but some are missing the bigger point of the matter that is the customer's responsibilities and ethics should stop them from paying a deposit on a car and then unfairly renegotiating after the deal is locked. Otherwise, why bother with deposits at all - just make it first come/first served with cash only. It only makes matters worse by trashing the company publicly when the customer is not permitted to defraud the business out of a deposit that should rightfully be retained by the dealer for defaulting on a deal. Apparently you and I are speaking different languages. Forget the dealer's side, focus on what the OP is doing for a minute.
Randy, I am agreeing with you. Geesh. We are not speaking different languages. I am agreeing with you.
I have not once mentioned responsibility, ethics, and/or defrauding the business.
I have been strictly talking about how the business should have handled it. I cannot say for sure "what the OP is doing for a minute".
I am talking strictly from a business standpoint.
I take it on the chin from my customers sometimes.
Just yesterday, I took back a product from a customer that I know I didn't have to take back. Why did I take it back yesterday? So I can make money off him tomorrow. That makes good sense to me. Good, solid business sense.
Good business sense is good business sense. Not once did I say the OP was correct, or incorrect for that matter. Same with the dealership.
What we all now know is that the names Marco and Champion Porsche are now attached to some negative press. For $1000, you think that's worth it?
I am agreeing with everything you are saying. I am not talking about what the OP is or isn't doing.
I am agreeing with you.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Randy, I am agreeing with you. Geesh. We are not speaking different languages. I am agreeing with you.
I have not once mentioned responsibility, ethics, and/or defrauding the business.
I have been strictly talking about how the business should have handled it. I cannot say for sure "what the OP is doing for a minute".
I am talking strictly from a business standpoint.
I take it on the chin from my customers sometimes.
Just yesterday, I took back a product from a customer that I know I didn't have to take back. Why did I take it back yesterday? So I can make money off him tomorrow. That makes good sense to me. Good, solid business sense.
Good business sense is good business sense. Not once did I say the OP was correct, or incorrect for that matter. Same with the dealership.
What we all now know is that the names Marco and Champion Porsche are now attached to some negative press. For $1000, you think that's worth it?
I am agreeing with everything you are saying. I am not talking about what the OP is or isn't doing.
I am agreeing with you.
Sorry, I will retract my claws! I get screwed by customers, just like you do, and I just wish people would start using some human decency and character.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:40 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I agree, and I eat things my customers force on me, too. It still makes me disappointed in these people when they do something unscrupulous because they know the right business decision for me is to smile and get pooped on. People should look in the mirror, and stop doing shady stuff just because they can and do get away from it.
I agree with you. Just because I have to do things for the reputation of my business it does not in any way make me feel like I can compromise my integrity just cause others feel "entitled" to do so. My word is golden and when faced with having to suck it up I do and learn something. But unfortunately I don't have the same kind of faith in mankind I do in myself.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:44 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I will retract my claws! I get screwed by customers, just like you do, and I just wish people would start using some human decency and character.
Nah, leave your claws out. Makes for some good banter.
If you own a business (like I assume you do, and like I do), getting screwed is part of the game, but in the process, we live to fight another day (read: make more money tomorrow, even if today wasn't all that profitable).
Human decency and character? Don't even get me started!!
Old 05-10-2018, 04:35 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Champion Porsche

I've been buying new Porsches since 1980. Almost 60 of them. Throughout the years I've worked with many dealers in the U.S. and in Europe. I have found Champion to be the most reputable, honest, unpretentious and quite frankly nicest of all. I don't know the whole story but I'd be very surprised if there is not more to the story or your deposit is not returned.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:46 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Suitcase
I've been buying new Porsches since 1980. Almost 60 of them.
You win!!
Old 05-10-2018, 05:23 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I'll say.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:51 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Four pages and the OP never responded in this thread. Why the interest for an untold story?

Quick Reply: Champion porsche won’t refund my deposit