Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Cobb Tune ACN91 for 991.1 Turbo (non-S)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 03:29 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Cobb Tune ACN91 for 991.1 Turbo (non-S)

I’m told the power difference between 991.1 Turbo S and non-S is just software tune, with the mechanicals identical. Is that correct? If so, for us here in California with wide availability of only California-specific 91 octane fuel, does the Cobb ACN91 tune provide any significant benefits? I noticed there are no dyno maps of the ACN91 tune on the Cobb website. ACN 91 map stands for Arizona, California, Nevada 91 octane. Trying to decide if a Cobb tune is worth it for my 991.1 non-S Turbo.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:23 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 918 Likes on 560 Posts

Hi Need

I’d be willing to give you a full 100% guarantee money back if you don’t love it. It’s quite nice and not having the S model gives you a larger gaines. The tuning will get you to around 600+ horsepower and 650+ torque. The PDK software is quite nice as well. Shifting like a GT3 RS and as smooth as can be when cruising. Haven’t had a single person not love it but I’m willing to stand behind it! You could even do before and after Dyno tests if you like and I’ll support you anyway I can. Feel free to reach out anytime! Hopefully we’ll see some feedback here but nothing like testing it out for yourself!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 04-29-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:11 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I just purchased a Cobb AP tune including PDK and Kline inconel full exhaust from Sam. I'm waiting for everything to be shipped and installed here in Arizona.

You can't go wrong with Sam, he stands behind everything he does. He is honest and experienced.

If you are unsure about getting the Cobb AP tune, I would take Sam up on his offer, try it, it's easy to install and remove.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:24 PM
Td33
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
I’m told the power difference between 991.1 Turbo S and non-S is just software tune, with the mechanicals identical. Is that correct? If so, for us here in California with wide availability of only California-specific 91 octane fuel, does the Cobb ACN91 tune provide any significant benefits? I noticed there are no dyno maps of the ACN91 tune on the Cobb website. ACN 91 map stands for Arizona, California, Nevada 91 octane. Trying to decide if a Cobb tune is worth it for my 991.1 non-S Turbo.
take Sam up on his offer and you'll be very happy! If not he'll take care of you 100%. Nothing to lose!
Old 04-30-2018, 01:35 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hi Need

I’d be willing to give you a full 100% guarantee money back if you don’t love it. It’s quite nice and not having the S model gives you a larger gaines. The tuning will get you to around 600+ horsepower and 650+ torque. The PDK software is quite nice as well. Shifting like a GT3 RS and as smooth as can be when cruising. Haven’t had a single person not love it but I’m willing to stand behind it! You could even do before and after Dyno tests if you like and I’ll support you anyway I can. Feel free to reach out anytime! Hopefully we’ll see some feedback here but nothing like testing it out for yourself!
600hp and 650 torque from California 91 octane, and no other mods except a cat back exhaust?
Old 04-30-2018, 03:01 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Most good exhausts yes. With custom tuning you can get even more. Intercoolers help maintain highest output especially with low octane. Our 91 is pretty poor unfortunately. But whether it’s that, high temps, altitude or hardware differences...The beauty of proper custom tuning is that we can safely make sure she is running safe and strong. Or simply tailored to suit your preferences. In the unit you get quite a well dialed in set of maps to run included. For 4 different fuels and 3 different stages. All in two different response/feel options. It’s been a game changer with Porsche tuning
Old 04-30-2018, 07:39 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Trust Sam, he will be there for you. I went with the Cobb with PDK Update on my Turbo S with a Europipe exhaust. Could not be happier. Car is more of a rocket but smooth. Also installed the PDK Relearn which really smoothed out the shifting.
Sam will walk you through so you don't have any issues.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:13 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 473 Posts

I have found that Sam doesn't only do what he says, he goes way beyond good service, even dealing with him 3,000 miles away I had no concerns.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:44 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the input, and especially Sam's. One more question that isn't quite answered, is whether my information is correct that in terms of engine and drive train mechanicals, (block, rods, pistons, turbos, PDK, etc.), a 991.1 turbo is identical to a 991.1 turbo S, with the additional power of the turbo S coming only from software re-mapping. The reason I'm interested in that answer is because it could bear on longevity of these components. If the mechanicals are identical, it seems reasonable to infer that bringing the power up on a non-S to S tune would not affect longevity or reliability to any significant extent.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:50 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cheers. On the engine there are some thoughts that the valve-train is different but it's the same. It's all l software. To that point our first record car, first to run a 9 second 1/4 mile a few years ago and long standing fastest car was a non S! Still going strong with over 30k upgraded miles and many events. We have over 1000 tuned cars out there and just about 200 pushing over 800hp solid. The PDk and clutch are the same but the S has a different valve-body. Then again so does the .2 that's just a Porsche thing. Same clutch and basic trans though.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:10 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Thanks for the input, and especially Sam's. One more question that isn't quite answered, is whether my information is correct that in terms of engine and drive train mechanicals, (block, rods, pistons, turbos, PDK, etc.), a 991.1 turbo is identical to a 991.1 turbo S, with the additional power of the turbo S coming only from software re-mapping. The reason I'm interested in that answer is because it could bear on longevity of these components. If the mechanicals are identical, it seems reasonable to infer that bringing the power up on a non-S to S tune would not affect longevity or reliability to any significant extent.
RE: '14 (incl '15 & '16) Turbo v TURBO S:
Excellence Magazine article - 12/13 issue (pp 62) interview w/August Achleitner, director of 911 product line -
stated that the 991 thicker piston crowns compared to the 997 Turbo were changed in the 991 Turbo to
withstand "greater combustion pressure" w/no change in in the 9.8:1 compression ratio.

Additionally goes on to say the '14 Turbo S motor is mechanically unchanged from the base Turbo,
relying purely on an ECU software remap for its extra power & torque.

Quick Reply: Cobb Tune ACN91 for 991.1 Turbo (non-S)