Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

By Design Stage 2 Installed with PDK Tune As Well!

Old 03-11-2018, 10:38 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default By Design Stage 2 Installed with PDK Tune As Well!

Hi all. I wanted to share my experiences with the install of a Kline (catless) exhaust. I think it is the 70mm version. Not sure though. I installed the Cobb Stage 2 and PDK tune as well. First, I should state that I had a lot of questions for Sam. He was very patient, response, resourceful and answered all of my questions. I have purchased A LOT of aftemarket parts for my cars. My experience with Sam is up there at the top and best of the breed. I went with a Kline catless exhaust and a Stage 2 Cobb tune as well as the Cobb software for the PDK. I installed the Cobb software first as the exhaust took a bit of time to arrive. Perhaps it was delayed due to heavier volume from the holidays? Not sure, but Same kept me well updated on it's status. Also, I don't drive the car in the winter so it wasn't much of an issue.

I have flashed several ECU's and Cobb unit is BY FAR the slickest. It's so user intuitive and pretty much dummy proof. The process to install the PDK tune is seamless as well. Install only takes a few minutes for each and the car is transformed. I love how the PDK shifts more firmly now. It feels much closer to my 991 GT3, which is exactly what I wanted! The car in Sport or Sport Plus is insane. Crazy amount of power and very usable power at lower speeds. Hit the fun pedal and the car is like a slingshot! I highly recommend the tunes as they transform the character of the car. There are several different options and tunes you can select for both the ECU tune and the PDK tune. Fortunately we have 93 octane here in Chicago so Sam sent me a ECU file for that. I guess we get a few more ponies from the 93, one of the few benefits of being a car guy living in a city like Chicago.

My friend and I installed the exhaust. Fortunately he has a lift, tons of tools and is very, very mechanically inclined. We took our time with the exhaust install. We did not remove the rear bumper. If I had to do it over again I still don't think I would remove the bumper. That said, I suggest removing the bumper if you DO NOT have a lift. I cannot imagine doing this job with the bumper on and no lift as it could take days. We had a few questions during the install as there were no instructions included with the exhaust. Sam was very helpful and walked us through our questions via telephone. The funny thing was that it probably took us the longest to re-install the tips. That was probably one of the hardest parts of the job as the pipe the connect the tips to the exhaust seemed to shrink when we removed the tips. We didn't know this happened and messed with them for 45-60 minutes before we figured out they were not getting back on without some assistance. Another friend suggested we go to Autozone and rent and exhaust pipe expander tool. OMG, this tool worked great. I wish I knew about this from the get go as it took us less than 10 minutes to install both sets of tips once the tube was widened a few millimeters.

Anyways, on to the exhaust. It sounds great. Not load at all although my reference is coming from some pretty loud cars. 991 GT3 with RSS xpipe, 997 race car with headers and straight pipes, etc. You can easily drive this car daily with the Kline exhaust. It get a little louder in sport and sport plus mode and you can now hear some burrbles on deceleration. Overall it sounds strong, somewhat exotic and non-offensive. My wife will not complain with the Kline. No drone or anything. BTW, I had a Tubi race exhaust (catless) on my 997TTS and this is a bit louder, but not much.

Overall I am very pleased with the whole package. The car is transformed. The tune, PDK software and exhaust make a great package and Sam was a pleasure to work with! Happy to answer any questions but I can see now why so many people on this forum are happy with the Kline, etc.

Adam
Old 03-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I wish I had the budget for it this year. Motorcycle racing isn't cheap. :/

Maybe I'll have a good year and give myself a nice fat exhaust bonus.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:04 AM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks for the review. I have a catless Kline setup waiting to go on my .2 once Cobb releases the AP for my car.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:43 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

Thanks for the amazing review Adam and sharing your thoughts for others. It was a pleasure working with you and I’m so glad you love it. Great job doing the installation on your own and I’m here for anything you need! Let me know how that new map feels…
Old 03-13-2018, 12:50 PM
mgz911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great write up. I'm from the Chicago area as well, would love to hear this exhaust set up in person.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:05 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgz911
Great write up. I'm from the Chicago area as well, would love to hear this exhaust set up in person.
Sure! I'm happy to connect in person when the weather turns as I am not really driving the car until then. Where are you located? I am in the north suburbs.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:29 PM
mgz911
Rennlist Member

That would be great ! I'm in the western suburbs. We'll definitely meet up when the weather turns.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:56 PM
Cm09578
Instructor

Does the Cobb come with the PDK tune loaded?
Old 05-27-2018, 08:48 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 749 Likes on 473 Posts

Sam is great to work with for sure, and the results are fantastic
Old 05-27-2018, 10:45 AM
snaptaz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same experience with Sam as well. Love the Kline catless! I've got his HUGE 5" By Design Intercoolers and they really help out with this muggy Florida heat!
Old 05-27-2018, 05:08 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cm09578
Does the Cobb come with the PDK tune loaded?
The ECU tune and PDK tune are sold separately however both are installed using the Cobb Accessport. The Accessport can hold many, many files. It's really slick!
Old 05-27-2018, 09:12 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

Cheers gents! Anyone feel free to reach out anytime with 100% support and guarantee!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: By Design Stage 2 Installed with PDK Tune As Well!