Sponsored by: Road Spy

Trade in 991.2 TTS for GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:27 PM
905doc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I have both. Both are great cars but different as Night and Day. Chances are you will miss the one you trade in and wind up eventually combing Ads, regretting the big hit you took in depreciation,
and scheming to buy it back "someday". So save yourself some money and time by just keeping the TTS, finding a place to keep it and buying a GT3-1, which is a great buy these days.
That was my solution. Can be yours too. You are obviously conflicted. Life is short! Save yourself a sacrifice that you may regret and follow your heart. Nothing but smiles will follow.
Makes sense, don't want to part with it and regret it, will just wait for the next gen gt3 and get that to add to the TTS
Old 01-12-2018, 04:11 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 905doc
I just got my 2017 TTS less than a year now and absolutely love it.

However lately I've been having the itch to go to a GT3 as at heart I'm a purist and love NA motors and would like a stick shift. Problem is part of me feels that would it be a downgrade? I mean the price difference alone makes me think that. Another thing is that I initially bought the TTS as a daily but I barely drive it once a week and feel the GT3 would be a better switch if I'm just going to do weekend driving.

Anyone here have both or made a similar switch that can give me some feedback?
Have you driven a GT3? If you haven't you really need to in order to make a decision. Most people seem to love it or hate it after a drive around town. It either feels too raw, rough, and obnoxious or you have a grin the entire drive because you're basically driving a racecar on the road.

I love the TT(S) and was really torn between one and my GT3. I ended up with my GT3 because it's the end of an era and it's currently in a class of one for new cars. I plan on keeping mine for a very long time and adding a TT(S) or Targa GTS next. But if you wait around for the 992 GT3 there is a risk that it will lose some of it's character (turbo engine? No manual?). No one knows for sure when it will end, but the days of a naturally aspirated manual 911 are definitely limited.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:33 PM
SKY57
Instructor

The answer is GT3 and TTS are both excellent cars in different ways.
The question you need to ask yourself is how much comfort/practicality you are welling to sacrifice in exchange for a more raw and race-car like experience.
You mentioned you want a stick and a NA engine. GT3 touring with leather and 18-way seats fits you and can be driven daily as well... what's not to like?
Old 01-12-2018, 08:21 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 905doc
Makes sense, I haven't tracked yet but would like to one day, maybe the GT3 on the street would be a waste
I rented a spec boxster. Didn’t want a GT3 anymore, wanted two cars: a street car and a race car. Made the decision to get a TT easy for me.

You might try the Porsche experience center to compare and contrast the GT3 and turbo. Take your own car to a local PCA DE and another time rent an entry level race car on a track-only tire compound. You’ll quickly see what you want. I can’t afford to stuff a GT3 into the wall and want to learn to drive at the limit.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:45 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Adding the right exhaust makes a big difference on the turbo...I have Sharkwerks. Also, the new generation of tires( I have Michelin Pilot sport 4S) take the handling to the next level. I like the GT3 but the TTS is the best car in the world.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Hvdv85
Intermediate

Go for the GT3 if you just drive it once a week.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Put on a SW exhaust, Cup 2s, or Trofeos, now with your TTS enjoy the sound, leave the GT3s behind at the track, then take that roadtrip across the country in full comfort ! My two bits, drove both and TTS was an easy decision. Both great cars for all the reasons everyone has stated.

Last edited by nolimits; 01-15-2018 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:53 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Guess I'm a contrarian.
Had a 991.1 TT w/sharkwerks for 3 years, traded it on a 991.2 TTS w/Europipe for 1 year. They both did everything so damn well that I found them less than exciting as a driving experience off track and especially on track. The BIG and HEAVY feel never goes away, even though blisteringly fast in a straight lines. Even that becomes a one trick pony after a while.
Was offered an 991.2 GT3 allocation in October when the Touring Pkg was introduced. I hmmed and hawwwed for a couple of weeks over what to do. In the end, I confirmed a GT3 Touring build for March delivery. The allure of NA and 9k RPM was to much to ignore.
Already have a brand new Sharwerks exhaust sitting on my workbench waiting the GT3 T arrival....
Old 01-14-2018, 02:19 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
Put on a SW exhaust, Cup 2s, or Trofeos, now with your TTS enyoy the sound, leave the GT3s behind at the track, then take that roadtrip accross the country in full comfort ! My two bits, drove both and TTS was an easy decision. Both great cars for all the reasons everyone has stated.
Agree with that. Interestingly TTS really shines on the track. On the road you barely scratch the surface of its abilities.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:40 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I felt that my TTS felt smaller and lighter on track than I had expected. It's larger than some cars for sure but even cars I was racing 20 years ago aren't what I'd call dramatically lighter or smaller. As I've raced things for many years, I can say that cars tend to feel different when you're an experienced driver, you load up the tires and suspension with trailbraking (usually) and then don't unload until you finish the corner, it hides a lot of the car's weight and you are left with judging, then making the best of the grip available. I only notice the TTS's 3700lbs with me in it when I am doing quick transitions without PDCC and that's mostly down to suspension action. I prefer a bit of suspension compliance also, having driven very stiff racing cars that skip over bumps and become unpredictable at the limit. I'd want more spring rate in the front if I was racing the TTS though, just because threshold braking does tend to nose the car down a bit more than I'd want at race pace.

Randy Pobst shares my opinions, so I don't feel like I'm talking out my *** here.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:18 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I’m guessing this happens more than you’d think, but I originally visited my Porsche dealer looking to get a GT3 for daily use plus the occasional weekend drive or track day. But I ended up with a 991.1 TT instead. It was closer in price than a TTS, and with its greater torque and all wheel drive, makes for a better DD. A Sharkwerks exhaust took care of the lack of noise, and the next step is SC2 tires for the spring here in California. I’ve found the 991.1 TT to be great at everything.

Unless you just HAVE to have a Porsche, if you’re only going to drive it on weekends, why not consider a Ferrari? A good 360 with a stick can be had for around $100k or less. A 458 can be had for under $200k. It’s not a stick, but naturally aspirated.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:43 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Being the 991 Turbo forum it's proper to see articulate owner support.
IMO there are no wrong choices, it's whatever floats your boat.
For me, after 4 years and ~30K kms the 991.1 &.2 Turbos no longer floated my boat. I wish they still did by invoking passion and excitement! Would have been much easier on the ol' toy fund.
Thankfully Porsche offers enthusiasts and not just drivers a variety of boats to choose from!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:36 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Gunner, totally agree, GT3 is a fantastic car, OEM and out of the box, 9k rpm hard to beat. We do carry some weight, not apples to apples but… IMO if someone wants excitement, it’s handling and power, the TTS offers so much more potential, add SW, control arms, DSC, turbos, and you’ve got a beast that’ll leave the GT3s/Cups on the roadcourse. Then drive home with a no compromise ride that can make grandma happy. Ahh we can all debate this forever, both what great cars!

Last edited by nolimits; 01-15-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:17 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I only notice the TTS's 3700lbs with me in it when I am doing quick transitions without PDCC and that's mostly down to suspension action.
Can you please clarify this statement? It is my understanding, which has been discussed here, that PDCC is always on and the button is to firm up the dampers for the shocks. When you say "without PDCC" are you referring to not pushing the PDCC shock button in the center console?
Old 01-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry, I meant without the PDCC "sport+" mode on, aka the stiffer mode. PDCC is always on (thankfully).

Quick Reply: Trade in 991.2 TTS for GT3?