Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Rear Bumper Removal Required to Install Exhaust Using a Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 04:58 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rear Bumper Removal Required to Install Exhaust Using a Lift?

I plan to install a Kline exhaust (with cat delete) in a few weeks on a 991.1 TTS. I recently installed an RSS center exhaust on my 991 GT3 and it was pretty straight forward and it did not require the rear bumper to be removed. Does the rear bumper need to be removed on the TTS? I have read conflicting info. BTW, as the Title states I do plan to use a lift.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts and experience.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 11-22-2017, 10:42 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove the bumper will make the process so much easier.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:44 PM
C4SxM5
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my local muffler install a ep system with out removing the bumper. They just weren't comfortable with removing bumpers since they were a muffler shop and everything worked fine.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Mufus
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is absolutely no need to remove the rear bumper. It can be done easy with the bumper on. Did it twice on a turbo and turbo s.

it is a lot of extra work, and then you will have to make sure that everything aligns properly. Taillights gap especially.
The following users liked this post:
Marc in AK (03-29-2023)
Old 12-05-2017, 03:59 PM
M3S3R
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my exhaust change out and yes the bumper and rear spoiler come off. Car was on the lift at Sharkwerks for about 2 plus hours.
Went with Sharkwerks X pipe. Sounds great. Cats can be changed with out removing bumper. Big Thank you to Alex and James at
Sharkwerks.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:33 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

My comments after having done this a few times...

You CAN REMOVE the OEM EXHAUST without removing the bumper. Getting the old exhaust out requires a bit of flex from the mounts and bumper, but it kind of 'gives birth' and pops right out with a bit of pressure with a pry bar with no worry about damage. [Note: You need to remove the tips first! Thanks [url=https://rennlist.com/forums/members/236408-911dude41.html]911dude41 for pointing this out.]

You CAN INSTALL many AFTERMARKET EXHAUSTS without removing the rear bumper, they are usually a fair bit smaller than the stock exhaust. Definitively a Sharkwerks, Soul, and FVD all go on without drama with bumper on.

You CAN NOT RE-INSTALL the OEM EXHAUST back in the car without removing the rear bumper. The bit of flex I mentioned earlier? When removing, you are pulling away from the mounts and heat shields and it slides out. Trying to go the other way and you'll be pushing against the edges of the heat shield and mounts and it is not possible (or perhaps just REALLY DIFFICULT) to get it to pop back in place. It's also heavy as **** compared to stock exhausts, which makes the re-install more difficult as well.

Last edited by pfbz; 06-03-2021 at 10:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pfbz:
Marc in AK (03-29-2023), NightBlueTTS (06-08-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:41 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,158 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
My comments after having done this a few times...

You CAN REMOVE the OEM EXHAUST without removing the bumper. Getting the old exhaust out requires a bit of flex from the mounts and bumper, but it kind of 'gives birth' and pops right out with a bit of pressure with a pry bar with no worry about damage.

You CAN INSTALL many AFTERMARKET EXHAUSTS without removing the rear bumper, they are usually a fair bit smaller than the stock exhaust. Definitively a Sharkwerks, Soul, and FVD all go on without drama with bumper on.

You CAN NOT RE-INSTALL the OEM ExHAUST back in the car without removing the rear bumper. The bit of flex I mentioned earlier? When removing, you are pulling away from the mounts and heat shields and it slides out. Trying to go the other way and you'll be pushing against the edges of the heat shield and mounts and it is not possible (or perhaps just REALLY DIFFICULT) to get it to pop back in place. It's also heavy as **** compared to stock exhausts, which makes the re-install more difficult as well.
Bingo.

If you're going to go about removing the stock exhaust without taking the bumper off, remove the tips first. It's very simple and will make it easier. Skipping the exhaust tip removal is a very lazy step not to take which literally takes 1 minute to do.

Trending Topics

Old 06-03-2021, 10:51 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Bingo.

If you're going to go about removing the stock exhaust without taking the bumper off, remove the tips first. It's very simple and will make it easier. Skipping the exhaust tip removal is a very lazy step not to take which literally takes 1 minute to do.
Good point... Yes, we removed the tips first when removing the stock exhaust as they needed to come off anyway to be re-used on the aftermarket exhaust, but I'm not even sure it would be possible to wiggle out the stock exhaust without removing the tips first.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Removal Required to Install Exhaust Using a Lift?