Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Is it really difficult to get a Turbo S allocation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Is it really difficult to get a Turbo S allocation?

I'm trying to buy a Turbo S Cab and I've tried multiple dealers, they're all telling me either that they don't have any allocations, that they're spoken for, or that they'll have to trade some stuff to get an allocation or wait until next year for the next one. I never thought it would be this difficult. What has everyone else's experience been?

If they're this difficult to get, I'm assuming I shouldn't expect much in the way of discounts? I always thought the Turbos were heavily discounted, but now I'm second guessing that too.

It's crazy, I'm ready to buy, know exactly what options I want, and I can't find anyone to sell me a car.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:19 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

That’s how it was with the 991.1 TT/S. It harmed resale values and got a reputation for discounts and depreciation.

Porsche cut back supply for the 991.2 to address that. You can certainly get one - it’s not limited production - but this time around you aren’t likely to find a generous discount and, depending on your region, it’s possible you’ll need to wait a bit for an allocation to become available.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:52 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I'm trying to buy a Turbo S Cab and I've tried multiple dealers, they're all telling me either that they don't have any allocations, that they're spoken for, or that they'll have to trade some stuff to get an allocation or wait until next year for the next one. I never thought it would be this difficult. What has everyone else's experience been?

If they're this difficult to get, I'm assuming I shouldn't expect much in the way of discounts? I always thought the Turbos were heavily discounted, but now I'm second guessing that too.

It's crazy, I'm ready to buy, know exactly what options I want, and I can't find anyone to sell me a car.
They have 2 on the lot at one local dealer, and one at the other. Both seem to have some turnover in these 2018 TTS so clearly there is allocation.

I suggest you try larger dealerships.

Supply is certainly less than before. I've been wanting to upgrade to a 2017, and it's so hard to find a well specced car with a decent price. I'm hoping someone on here sells theirs.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:57 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ace37
That’s how it was with the 991.1 TT/S. It harmed resale values and got a reputation for discounts and depreciation.

Porsche cut back supply for the 991.2 to address that. You can certainly get one - it’s not limited production - but this time around you aren’t likely to find a generous discount and, depending on your region, it’s possible you’ll need to wait a bit for an allocation to become available.
That certainly seems to be the case. I found one dealer with an incoming Turbo S with a build that could still be changed, but they didn't offer me enough on my trade-in so I passed. I also thought they were BS-ing me when they said there weren't much in the way of discounts, because I always heard stories about huge discounts on all Turbo/Turbo S variants. I guess they were right, because I am finding it very hard to find one.

I've contacted 5 or 6 more dealers close to me and two (big ones) told me no allocations until next year. One is expecting more allocations later this month, and another one is trying to trade for an allocation for me. The others I'm waiting to hear the status on.

I guess I'll just have to be patient! Although I guess I should be happy that I won't see as many of them on the road as the previous models, makes it feel a little more special.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:20 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

It also depends on the country. Less of an issue in the US but more so in Canada, for example. Anyway, it's not a matter of being able to get one or not but rather how long you need to wait for one.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

991.2 Turbo/Turbo S models are much harder to find than 991.1 and before. Porsche was tired of seeing them sitting on the lots unsold and at for sale at large discounts. If you want more info, PM me.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:45 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I was looking for a 2014 TTS, and one dealer, that already sold a 2014 that I inquired about, asked if I'd be interested in ordering a new one instead. Sadly, I already deleted the emails after picking up my 2014 TTS Cab, and I was contacting so many dealerships, I don't recall which one had the available allocation.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:52 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QueueCumber
I was looking for a 2014 TTS and one dealer that already sold the 2014 asked if I'd be interested in ordering a new one instead. Sadly, I already deleted the emails after picking up my 2014 TTS Cab, and I was contacting so many dealerships, I don't recall which one had the available allocation.
My local dealership is now telling me they can get me a special allocation by calling Porsche and telling them I'm a VIP customer. They said they're going to do that tomorrow, we'll see how that goes. Wish me luck!
Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

My local dealership is now telling me they can get me a special allocation by calling Porsche and telling them I'm a VIP customer. They said they're going to do that tomorrow, we'll see how that goes. Wish me luck!
Good luck!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:16 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Looks like they're coming through! They offered me a decent price on my trade-in and at least a symbolic discount on the TTS so I'm finishing up my spec and then the wait begins!
Old 10-20-2017, 06:47 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I checked with my dealer and so far for 2017 this what the Danbury CT dealership has delivered this year;

911 Turbo S Coupe #2
911 Turbo S Cabriolet #1
911 Turbo Cabriolet #1

My TTS will be the third when delivered in November;...hopefully.

I think the number of allocations they have is great especially for a highly sought after car.

Jay
Old 10-20-2017, 09:06 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Just saw you were looking for a TTS cab—does anyone know if allocations are separate for cabs versus coupes? I remember reading somewhere that the number of TTS cabs purchased is orders of magnitude lower than TTS coupes.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:47 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

All turbos are allocated separately and you cannot change a cab into a coupe or a turbo into a turbo S. If you want to change, you have to solicit a trade with another dealer.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:10 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For my 2017 TTS Cab it took 4 months for the dealer to get an allocation and another 4 months for it to be built and delivered. I got about 2.5% off MSRP, and a nice new Porsche Design Watch when the car was delivered. I did not shop around, I very much like the dealer and the SA in my area, we had bought 2 other Porsche’s from them in the last 4 years.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:41 AM
Gjon777
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

I was told the Turbo S allocations are hard to get. I can get a Turbo allocation from a local dealer with a discount but they don't have a Turbo S allocation. Called a few dealers with sales persons that I dealt with in the past and told me they didn't have allocations either. Another dealer told me they could get an allocation but with no discount at all.

Quick Reply: Is it really difficult to get a Turbo S allocation?