Sponsored by: Road Spy

Turbo S from 4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:50 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Thanks all I really appreciate the real time info. As a former TT owner I'm not turned off at all to the turbo attitude and power. Drove the car today and have to say I don't how I could effectively drive the TTS with an MT. It climbs to redline so quickly. In Sport Plus it was awesome to experience. Trying to work out the details. Will have to break it to the wife eventually.
😁😁😁
Old 10-05-2017, 08:57 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Wife is totally on board, "go for it" was her response. Best decision I made was choosing her as a partner.
Got to get the numbers to work and then strip some goodies from my 4S if all looks good.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:10 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

We'll look forward to a few pictures once you make the acquisition!
Old 10-06-2017, 01:21 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

My last 3 911s were:
997tt with a MT->
991C4S with PDK->
991.1TTS
I loved each car and each car was a better performer than the previous one. I plan to keep the TTS for a long time despite what ever else I have/acquire.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Done. Brought it home yesterday. Not detailed to my level but a few early pics. What a nice feeling to be back in a TT.
Attached Images    
Old 10-08-2017, 12:18 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Nice! Time to edit your signature.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:09 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats! Try shifting in manual mode using the gear selector (instead of the paddles) if you find yourself missing the 6-speed--it's not quite the same but is a lot of fun when you have ~550 lb/ft. I drive in manual mode 60% of the time these days.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:33 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckard
Congrats! Try shifting in manual mode using the gear selector (instead of the paddles) if you find yourself missing the 6-speed--it's not quite the same but is a lot of fun when you have ~550 lb/ft. I drive in manual mode 60% of the time these days.
Yes... except the 1st-2nd shift needs to happen almost faster than humanly possible... you will likely hit the rev limiter if/when you try a full throttle manual shift!
Old 10-08-2017, 06:24 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Done. Brought it home yesterday. Not detailed to my level but a few early pics. What a nice feeling to be back in a TT.
Great color combination. Love the Cognac/espresso on gt silver.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:47 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Starting this thread on 10/3 and photos of the new car already on 10/8... you act fast!

Great looking car - hope you love it!!

Curious what you think of PDK versus manual. In this car I don't see any other transmission, but with half or a third less power I could see a strong case for a manual.

While my 997 GTS was a manual and I enjoyed it (and before that I had an S2000 which had just a gem of a transmission), I was changed by owning a manual on a 370Z nismo. Apparently I was consistently shifting gears too fast for the transmission design as the synchros wore out at ~55k miles and I started getting a notchy grind. Nissan was great to work with and installed a new transmission with essentially no questions or hesitation after I demonstrated the issue. But realizing my shifting speed was too high was an eye opener as I wasn't trying to hustle - I'd just gotten into the habit since it worked so well on the S2000. And later I had a motorcycle (which has a sequential box) and added a quickshifter that did ECU magic to allow clutchless shifts by cutting spark or blipping throttle over ~50ms (adjustable). That's what sold me on a box allowing fast shifts. Engagement of the manual is something I liked but most of the time I like the lightning quick shifts even more.

That said, it could be a bit better - I'd like Porsche to put some mild force feedback in the PDK paddles and stick so gearchanges would feel more involving and the transmission could "talk" to you. With the bike box you could feel the transmission moving as you changed gears which was markedly more involving than electronically issuing a command to PDK and letting the computer handle it.

Guess I need a dogbox on my next racecar, then I'll get to have my cake and eat it too...
Old 10-08-2017, 11:30 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
Starting this thread on 10/3 and photos of the new car already on 10/8... you act fast!

Great looking car - hope you love it!!

Curious what you think of PDK versus manual. In this car I don't see any other transmission, but with half or a third less power I could see a strong case for a manual.

While my 997 GTS was a manual and I enjoyed it (and before that I had an S2000 which had just a gem of a transmission), I was changed by owning a manual on a 370Z nismo. Apparently I was consistently shifting gears too fast for the transmission design as the synchros wore out at ~55k miles and I started getting a notchy grind. Nissan was great to work with and installed a new transmission with essentially no questions or hesitation after I demonstrated the issue. But realizing my shifting speed was too high was an eye opener as I wasn't trying to hustle - I'd just gotten into the habit since it worked so well on the S2000. And later I had a motorcycle (which has a sequential box) and added a quickshifter that did ECU magic to allow clutchless shifts by cutting spark or blipping throttle over ~50ms (adjustable). That's what sold me on a box allowing fast shifts. Engagement of the manual is something I liked but most of the time I like the lightning quick shifts even more.

That said, it could be a bit better - I'd like Porsche to put some mild force feedback in the PDK paddles and stick so gearchanges would feel more involving and the transmission could "talk" to you. With the bike box you could feel the transmission moving as you changed gears which was markedly more involving than electronically issuing a command to PDK and letting the computer handle it.

Guess I need a dogbox on my next racecar, then I'll get to have my cake and eat it too...

Thanks. Loving it so far, hard not too.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Beauty, enjoy !!!!
Old 10-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I just traded my '15 TTS for an '11 Turbo 6sp. My biggest complaint about PDK is not a PDK vs. manual thing - it's PDK vs. PDK. As newer versions are introduced with updated software programming and/or hardware, the prior versions become somewhat dated and less desirable. Also, I was constantly envious that the TTS never got the PDK-S. Personally, I would have much preferred that and the disappointment there wore on me.

With the 6pd mt, I can say for sure having owned a 991.1 GTS with 7sp mt, that the 7sp is not better or more desirable. Just the opposite, at least for me.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

So, trashed the TTS and then the GTS. And that was for my benefit ? I already bought the car.

And my last TT was a 997 6 speed mt. Are you telling me I should have kept it?
Old 10-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

So, trashed the TTS and then the GTS. And that was for my benefit ? I already bought the car.

And my last TT was a 997 6 speed mt. Are you telling me I should have kept it?
Not at all, they are both amazing cars and didn't intend to imply that I was trying to convince you otherwise. I think you made a beautiful choice and congrats, I think you'll be blown away by it. My transmission comments were really just general criticisms in response to some of the other discussion points in the thread. Ultimately, the transmissions are not why I moved on. The key reasons why I bought the TTS did not pan out so I ended up wanting something else and really enjoyed the 997 platform. A nicely spec'd one popped up locally. I thought about going back to a .1 GTS again but the prices shot way up from when I originally bought mine and wasn't excited about paying so much more knowing the deal I previously got.

Quick Reply: Turbo S from 4S