Sponsored by: Road Spy

car advice/opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 04:14 PM
steve9
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1
Steve - how does the R8 compare to the TTS? I have a 2013 C2S and next year I was thinking about "upgrading" to a 2014/15 TTS or R8.
Joshua, Sorry for the delayed reply - I've been travelling a bit, including an Audi RS/R8 Experience Day at Croft circuit in northern England which was brilliant.

R8 vs TTS. Hmm, where to start? The cars are so different in so many ways that I doubt both would be on your short list for long i.e. after driving both I think you would quickly be able to eliminate one. On paper they have a fair bit in common - similar power, acceleration, lap times, 4WD, German build quality, etc. But the similarities stop when you sit in the driver's seat and press the start button. As you would expect the NA V10 is a lot more vocal than the TT6, and I personally find the engine / exhaust sound very addictive. Combine that with mid-engined looks (with the exhibition engine bay window) and neutral handling and high quality cabin, it's a great car to own and drive. Basically the same mechanical underpinnings as the Huracan, only for £40k less.

I had the pleasure of driving (for free!) the full range of Porsche models at an experience day early last year at a local track in Northern Ireland - attached pic. It was fun day for sure, but I left a bit underwhelmed with the new 911's, largely due to muted exhaust noise even with the valves open. I owned an R8 V8 at the time with an Eisenmann exhaust so perhaps my ears had become a little normalised to higher volume. And whilst the new 991.2S is faster than my previous R8 V8 on paper, it didn't actually feel any faster. The TTS was fast - we did a launch and it reminded me of the Aerosmith Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disney World. I've since done a couple of launches in the R8 V10 and it feels similar - just louder!

Objectively the TTS is a better all round car than the R8. It generally performs marginally better on head to head track-based tests (although I don't think that would be a reason to buy one), has 4 seats, more luggage space, much better driving position for taller drivers. Hypothetically if there was no speed limit and I had to drive from one end of Ireland to the other in the shortest time it would hard to compete with the performance / comfort combination of the TTS. When it came to the purchase decision, I found the new 991.2 series too conservative for the sort of driving I'm doing - I bought the R8 for a fun weekend car for relatively short (<3 hours) trips on country roads and I just found it impossible to ignore the sound of the V10 engine configuration.

I don't think the US is the same as the UK where most dealers have demo cars that you can sign out for a day or even a weekend, but if you can get a drive in either even as a passenger, I think you will eliminate one or the other fairly quickly.

The R8 is like the Paratrooper who stands up on the table and boldly announces "We are fast and good!" (both true statements). The TTS is the SAS soldier who nods his head respectfully and quietly but confidently leaves the room. [Sorry guys , got a bit carried away with that one - I blame 25 years of Jeremy Clarkson!]
Attached Images  

Last edited by steve9; 09-30-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:56 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by steve9
I drive an '17 R8 so I'm biased. What generation are you interested in Gen1 or Gen2? Similar power to your TTS but very different power delivery and awesome sound would be a nice contrast to the TTS.

The build quality of McLaren and and Aston is not up the German standards (I say that as a Brit); you could expect quite a few niggles during ownership.

I'm on my second R8 now so if you have any specific questions let me know.

Niiiiice ride!
I’m a few years out from buying my first super car around $200k. I don’t like being in debt so I’m saving for it at the moment. I’ve narrowed it down to the R8 and the 911 TT/TTS. Without turning this into a V10 vs V10+ thread (I apologize in advance to the Porsche fans), what steered you into a V10? One thing I don’t like about the + model is the rear spoiler. I like rear spoilers but I don’t care for the “boy car looks”. Are the 70 hp and different gear boxes between the two variants that much noticeable? I drive a ‘16 S6 and like Audis in general. Good exhaust note is music to my ears!
Old 10-01-2017, 04:09 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 432 Likes on 183 Posts

I love both TTS and R8 V 10+, so I bought both!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:35 AM
steve9
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Without turning this into a V10 vs V10+ thread (I apologize in advance to the Porsche fans), what steered you into a V10? One thing I don’t like about the + model is the rear spoiler. I like rear spoilers but I don’t care for the “boy car looks”. Are the 70 hp and different gear boxes between the two variants that much noticeable? I drive a ‘16 S6 and like Audis in general. Good exhaust note is music to my ears!
As you say - Porsche forum, so I'll keep this answer concise. The reasons I choose the V10 were :-
- I don't like the park bench rear spoiler on the Plus
- The 70 hp difference on paper is more like 30hp on the dyno - TopGear mag could hardly tell the difference in performance and they ran a long term test car for more than 6 months.
- one of my minor criticisms of the gen1 R8 was the low gearing - it could have done with a 7th gear (it got one eventually on the S-tronic). On the V10 I'm sitting at 2,000 rpm at 70mph. The Plus will be closer to 3,000 rpm. I never feel like the gears on the V10 are spaced too far apart. I didn't buy it for cruising but on UK roads there are times where motorway stretches are unavoidable.
- I don't need ceramic brakes and generally most concerns I see about R8 brakes (squeaking, chipping, and very occasionally seriously premature wear) relate to the ceramics.
- Another consideration for US owners (not applicable in EU) is that magnetic ride is only available on the V10. The Plus has stiffer fixed suspension.

There's lots of useful info an R8 forum, including specific discussion area on the Gen2. I'm probably not supposed to link to it but it's easy enough to find. There are a few R8 / Rennlist double hatters!
Old 10-01-2017, 01:46 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steve9
As you say - Porsche forum, so I'll keep this answer concise. The reasons I choose the V10 were :-
- I don't like the park bench rear spoiler on the Plus
- The 70 hp difference on paper is more like 30hp on the dyno - TopGear mag could hardly tell the difference in performance and they ran a long term test car for more than 6 months.
- one of my minor criticisms of the gen1 R8 was the low gearing - it could have done with a 7th gear (it got one eventually on the S-tronic). On the V10 I'm sitting at 2,000 rpm at 70mph. The Plus will be closer to 3,000 rpm. I never feel like the gears on the V10 are spaced too far apart. I didn't buy it for cruising but on UK roads there are times where motorway stretches are unavoidable.
- I don't need ceramic brakes and generally most concerns I see about R8 brakes (squeaking, chipping, and very occasionally seriously premature wear) relate to the ceramics.
- Another consideration for US owners (not applicable in EU) is that magnetic ride is only available on the V10. The Plus has stiffer fixed suspension.

There's lots of useful info an R8 forum, including specific discussion area on the Gen2. I'm probably not supposed to link to it but it's easy enough to find. There are a few R8 / Rennlist double hatters!
Thanks for the info. I've been reading the R8 forums and that seems to be the general consensus regarding the two variants. Good point about the ceramic brakes...not a fan either.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:46 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Karl911
I love both TTS and R8 V 10+, so I bought both!
That's awesome! Some of us don't have that sort of luxury. Having to pay for college for 3 kids ain't so easy. Enjoy them in good health.

Quick Reply: car advice/opinion