Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Michelin Pilot 4S - how big a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 01:35 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin Pilot 4S - how big a difference?

I’m contemplating a tire/wheel hazard policy. I realized if I buy 4 Pilot 4S tires for about th same price as th cost of the insurance, based on a few threads, I get better tires and tir hazard insurance is included. About $1460 shipped from Tire Rack. I’d have to pay probably about $200 for install and balance.

I was very happy with the OEM Pirelli’s in my 2016. How big of a difference an I looking at to switch to Michelin’s? I don’t track the car, South Florida local driving only really.

Appreciate the guidance....
Old 08-06-2017, 01:03 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

If my Pilot Super Sports are a lesson The Michelin P4S should have a lot more traction than the P Zeros
Old 08-06-2017, 01:58 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdg1871
If my Pilot Super Sports are a lesson The Michelin P4S should have a lot more traction than the P Zeros
This surprises me. Not that Michelin's aren't good, they are the Best but I have yet to notice any traction issue with the P-Zero wet or dry. South Florida. Sticky as can be mostly quiet.

i remember putting PSS on my wife's old AMG SLK, from whatever OEM had, and didn't notice that much difference except newer and a little more grip due to the other faded tread. I'll probably give them a shot, maybe let the P Zero where down a bit first, or should i do it from the get go?
Old 08-06-2017, 02:50 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by wassy
This surprises me. Not that Michelin's aren't good, they are the Best but I have yet to notice any traction issue with the P-Zero wet or dry. South Florida. Sticky as can be mostly quiet.

i remember putting PSS on my wife's old AMG SLK, from whatever OEM had, and didn't notice that much difference except newer and a little more grip due to the other faded tread. I'll probably give them a shot, maybe let the P Zero where down a bit first, or should i do it from the get go?

Go fo MPS4S without any doubt. Pirlelli P Zero is probably the worst tire of this segment.

I do have a very good experience on different tires and MPS4S is the best in its class.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:11 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

You will see the traction difference especially if you start upgrading the power
Old 08-06-2017, 03:17 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Thanks folks!
Old 08-06-2017, 07:35 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I've had no problems either with my P Zeros...in street driving. I had the 4Ss on my 991 GTS just before I sold it and in street driving there wasn't much difference in my experience. I noticed the biggest difference on the track, primarily in longevity. The P Zeros were almost shredded after 1 day (4 sessions, 3 of which were in the rain). That's when I realized that these were complete trash for tires. The 4Ss held up much better after a track day with them. Also, the Pirellis are often more expensive which is laughable.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:08 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

P4's here also, big difference from the stock tires!
Old 08-09-2017, 03:59 AM
Michael Dalton
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the correct tire pressure for m 4s ; street use only and oem tire size?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:55 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTED TTS
P4's here also, big difference from the stock tires!
Where are you seeing the big differences?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:14 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, zero issues with grip of my P0's to date. I can't imagine how it must feel if the 4S is significantly better. But I keep checking my rear tread hoping to justify pulling trigger on some new Michelins:-). I have some awesome twisties where I live and wish those P0's would hurry up and wear out.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:47 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

My thoughts were if I get PS4 from tire rack, it comes with road haZard warranty. Instead of paying for a tire wheel policy I can have new tires and a warranty for just a few hundred more. It won’t cover wheels but what’s a refinish if I ever need one or two? $150-200? But if the PS4
Offer no real benefit for my purposes not sure it’s makes sense. On the other hand I certainly don’t think it will hurt based on feedback ???
Old 08-10-2017, 04:44 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Not sure I'd bother changing early unless it were to a different performance class but YMMV.

I take my chances with tire hazard issues. As you say, if you have an issue the costs just generally aren't that crazy. If you're ok tossing the OE tires because you think you might like the new ones a touch better and if not then no big deal, is the road hazard warranty really that important?

The 2017s have an updated compound in the Pzeros. I think they're coded N1 instead of N0 or something along those lines. Are the michelins better than the newer Pzeros or just the older version? I'd expect them to outdo the older ones but I wondered if the revised Pzero is pretty comparable overall.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot 4S - how big a difference?