Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visit to Porsche & Germany - July 2015

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 03:12 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Eduardo, do you know what color this Porsche 911 HLS is? lol I know you like greens, but this green...well maybe this is the green that inspired the 918 calipers lol But in all seriousness, it's a pretty cool and interesting story! Hopefully it was finished being restored. Better yet, hopefully it gets donated to the factory so they could put it into the museum! More photos in the link below!

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...orsche-911-hls

Old 07-29-2015, 03:27 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I've seen this car in person a few times. It was at the Petersen Automotive museum for the 50th anniversary celebration back in '98. That picture is actually a pretty good representation of the color in person. It's a very teal-ish type color that was pretty strong on the greenish side of teal. Definitely not Ipanema blue though.
Right you are! My error, although the photo posted is somewhat reminiscent of Ipanema. The car pictured is the apparently the 1989 Panamericana concept car. Here, one (only two were reportedly built) is at the Porsche museum.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:47 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 1989 Panamericana Concept Car & Birthday Gift

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
PS - back to business for a minute. I had visions of MBM looking like this. No idea what color this actually is??
[Daniel replies] "Looks like that could be Ipanema blue metallic."

Thanks Daniel. That's a pretty ballsy color to go for. Can't say I've seen many of them around!
I've seen this car in person a few times. It was at the Petersen Automotive museum for the 50th anniversary celebration back in '98. That picture is actually a pretty good representation of the color in person. It's a very teal-ish type color that was pretty strong on the greenish side of teal. Definitely not Ipanema blue though.
The car was the 1989 Panamericana Concept given to Ferry Porsche for his 80th Birthday.

It was featured at the IAA Frankfurt and other shows at the time. The color, like most associated with anything done for Ferry Porsche, was a metallic green. In this case, it has more blue than normal!

http://ranwhenparked.net/2013/12/18/...icana-concept/

I took the above photo at the Porsche Museum in 2013. Is part of their collection and it's often on tour (e.g. Petersen in LA). It was not at the Museum exhibit on July 16th when I did my latest tour.

Daniel: I keep having a technical problem when I quote you on my response. Does anyone else has this issue when trying to quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:26 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Glasurit caves...

re: Glasurit Updates on their Website...

Here is the sequence of events. Daniel locates a 'hidden' reference to 'Magic Mamboo Metallic' in the internet and at the Glasurit website.

Daniel emails me the information. I tell 'Porsche Exclusive' on July 17th what we know. 'Porsche Exclusive' informs Glasurit the news is spreading like 'wild fire' on Rennlist. 'Porsche Exclusive', PAG and Glasurit begin to monitor this thread. Federal Intelligence Service (BND / Bundesnachrichtendienst) & Military Counter-Intelligence Service (MAD / Militärischer Abschirmdienst) is notified. NSA in Ft. Meade is also told. Meantime, back at 'Porsche Exclusive' and Glasurit, they know they can no longer obfuscate. And wisely, before the news hits Jalopnik, World Car Fans, Der Spiegel & the New York Times, Glasurit modifies its website information to sort-of conform with what we now know at Rennlist...the 'Magic' mojo in the Bamboo is slightly lost since we have stolen their thunder!

They are not fools! Corporations know the power of the internet...and especially of the tenacious PTS reporters at Rennlist!

Saludos,
Eduardo

Musing on the internet while looking at the fabulous view from our modest bed & breakfast overlooking Castelsardo, Sardinia!

Old 07-29-2015, 08:55 AM
m4ever
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Edoardo

I finally found the pictures of the Magic Bamboo metallic Panamera GTS I had the opportunity to drive in Leipzig in Oct 2014.

I include also the picture of another "in development" PTS color, called Race Grey (on another Panamera GTS).
Attached Images     
Old 07-29-2015, 10:42 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by m4ever
I finally found the pictures of the Magic Bamboo metallic Panamera GTS I had the opportunity to drive in Leipzig in Oct 2014.

I include also the picture of another "in development" PTS color, called Race Grey (on another Panamera GTS).
Cool! And that Race grey looks very close to Fashion grey (or maybe also Sport Classic grey) to me! Plus the wheels look similar to the black/chrome Sport Classic wheels. Interesting! Any more info or impressions? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

there is something very wrong with my ability to quote!
Originally Posted by mooty

^ i like, the zen of quotes.....
-- referring to Larry quoting simply "[QUOTE="

Eduardo, I'm not sure why the QUOTE function isn't working well all the time. I've noticed it too, as did Larry. BTW, I looked around and never did find the official name for the Panamericana met green. Do you know what it's called, if it even was given a formal name and/or colour code? Just for curiosity. BTW, nice view from your latest hotel room!!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:57 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Werks 1
Eduardo...Great posts...just read your 2013 trip....how cool......I have several Porsche workers "overalls" and "jackets"from my 1988 trip.....my wife almost threw them out a few weeks ago...I gave one toGM of the dealership that just sold me my Targa GTS and Pano E Hybrid......Please tell us more about "exclusive" and leipzig....... I also sent you a "PM"...... interesting story i sent you.......KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
Thanks Werks 1. I will respond to your email soon. More stories to be posted as soon as I get comfortable on our chartered yacht & start cruising around Sardinia & Corsica.

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Eduardo, I have now been to two driving school events at Leipzig and will be attending a 3rd in September. When you book, you can explicitly request an English language class as they only run courses in two languages, German and English.

On both occasions I have been to Lepzig, there have been so many people attending the English speaking course, they have had to break the group into two smaller groups. My impression is that the English classes seem to be the most fun. The Germans classes are attended by, errr Germans, while the English language classes are very mixed. In my class there were people from Russia, Latvia, UK, Singapore, Taiwan, USA and Italy, etc. and because they have typically all had to travel from far away places to get there, they seem more determined to get the most out of the event..and have some more fun at night.

Driving the track as fast as you can in a GT3 is such a buzz. Everyone should get there if they possibly can.
Thanks Chris. Good to know. And I am certainly coming back for one of those driving events!

What an amazing first part of your trip Eduardo! I'm not sure who I'm more impressed with - you or your wife? You for "working" throughout your vacation or your wife for putting up with it all! At least you have the best bit to come. I was lucky enough to have a week cruising the Med in a luxury motor yacht once. There's something very special about being on the water, afternoon cocktails and then eating quality food onboard - magical!!
Yes, so far so good. I have tried not to do too much auto on this trip...although you wouldn't guess that from all the stuff I have posted on this thread. And my wife, although not really an enthusiast, is very understanding.

Hey Eduardo, do you know what color this Porsche 911 HLS is? lol I know you like greens, but this green...well maybe this is the green that inspired the 918 calipers
"Finally, the concept car, complete with its retractable roof, was sent to a paint shop in Würselen, a German town in the Aachen district of North Rhine-Westphalia, where it was given its bright green colour." God only knows what the original green color was for this project. After 40+ years of sitting in the outside (sun, rain, snow, etc), it has weathered into this interesting green 'patina'!

By the way, the color of the Hybrid technology at Porsche is most closely resembles 'Litchgrun' or 'Birch Green'. That is basically a MY1974 early 911 vintage color which is still available via PTS today.

Originally Posted by m4ever
Hi Edoardo

Yes, that is the same Panamera GTS I photographed on Monday - plate P*OP 1766':

By the way Alex, I finally met 'Edoardo'. He runs a local trattoria in Castelsardo!

Daniel: Since it was a special color chosen for Ferry Porsche and not meant for PTS, I don't believe they gave it a 'name' per se. At least I don't know of one.

Yes, a room with a view! Old 'Castelsardo' is medieval town/fortress in the Northern coast of Sardinia. Nothing much to do around this sleepy village except relax for a day while we wait to board our chartered yacht in Porto Cervo tomorrow at noon.

http://www.castelsardoturismo.it

It's a bit warm to walk around too much. But we did a quick tour of the city fortress, had a light lunch and are now resting waiting for our evening dinner reservation at 8 pm. This is when the restaurant kitchen opens for dinner and will stay open until midnight or so. In Carmel, in contrast, most restaurants are pretty empty by 8 pm!

Saludos,
Edoardo

Old 07-29-2015, 12:06 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Apologies for not really contributing to this excellent thread but I just wanted to say how beautiful this photo was. Looks incredible. Safe trip and thanks again for the detailed, fact filled posts.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:08 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default Visit to Porsche & Germany - July 2015

You're hitting the authentic parts of the island. However.. Porto cervo is my second home and while its kind of kitsch, there are some beautiful areas to explore there. Let me know as you're getting closer If you have questions.. There are some "locals only" beaches and restaurants which you can try.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:37 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Porto Cervo, Sardinia...

Originally Posted by CAlexio
You're hitting the authentic parts of the island. However.. Porto cervo is my second home and while its kind of kitsch, there are some beautiful areas to explore there. Let me know as you're getting closer If you have questions.. There are some "locals only" beaches and restaurants which you can try.
I want to thank Alessandro for the following tips (in Blue) re: our visit to Porto Cervo. And hopefully it's also useful to others that might be visiting this area - Costa Smeralda - unquestionably one of the most beautiful spots in all of Europe!

Beaches close to Porto Cervo
-grande pevero
-il principe
-il mortorio

When you're docked in Porto Cervo, make sure you go have drinks at Cala di Volpe Hotel, and eat at my favorite restaurant "Lu Pisantinu"

We are guests of our Carmel neighbor on a yacht he has chartered named the 'Balista'. The vessel is around 152 feet long...which is longer than our lot in Carmel!

The captain is a Brit and his multinational crew includes Kiwis, Swedes, South Africans, Lithuanians & Americans. The boat is registered in London. We are using Porto Cervo as a docking base and making day trips to nearby coves & beaches, including an upcoming trip into Corsica (which is part of France). Our party is only 8 people - our host and his family of 4, their friends from Switzerland (a couple from Zurich) and us. The crew outnumbers us at 10, including a wonderful chef and three lovely ladies as stewardesses! So, as Robin Leach would say, this is indeed 'caviar dreams and champagne wishes'!

What is particularly striking to anyone that has done something like this before in this popular holiday spot is the cheer number of similar luxury yachts all around us!

And a status pecking order still rules, like Britannia of old, the waves! Just when you thought your yacht was pretty impressive, you see another one double in size and with a helicopter on its top deck!

On our first day trip to Cala di Volpe area, the scenery was simply spectacular!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Porto Cervo, Sardinia

Old 08-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Funny enough, your neighbour reminds me of mine: He rented the Mexico blue one and invited us.
My kids turned out to be the crew. It had a small bar onboard.
This boat is smaller then my garden shed.

But I must say that I prefer the colors on these "yachts":

Maybe you can help me to find the Porsche colors the boats are painted in?

Seriously: Amazing trip you are on!

Old 08-01-2015, 07:25 AM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Funny enough, your neighbour reminds me of mine: He rented the Mexico blue one and invited us.
My kids turned out to be the crew. It had a small bar onboard.
This boat is smaller then my garden shed.

But I must say that I prefer the colors on these "yachts":

Seriously: Amazing trip you are on!

That is not the ocean - that is Lago di Garda. So clearly a fake
Old 08-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterfirst
That is not the ocean - that is Lago di Garda. So clearly a fake
Caught with the pants down...
Old 08-01-2015, 09:02 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default Visit to Porsche & Germany - July 2015

Unless you're abramovich.. You will always be 1-upped in the yacht game Eduardo. It's a never-ending "mine is bigger" game. Paul Allen and Abramovich sometimes dock in Porto Cervo at the same time, and even the Arabs start to feel a little insufficient then. It's all funny money to me.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Sure.

'Mexico Blau'

'Meerblau'...

'Crystal Blau'

Saludos,
Eduardo
Arcipelago di La Maddalena

Quick Reply: Visit to Porsche & Germany - July 2015