Video: Interesting Transmission approach from Koenigsegg

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts
Default Video: Interesting Transmission approach from Koenigsegg

I'm a Manual fan, but this approach seems more suited to the GT3/RS than PDK (lighter, simpler, faster?):

Old 03-18-2013, 06:13 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

As someone else wrote in a different thread "clever ***** working in that hanger"

Certainly seem like a very interesting design. Mind you, I think the Koenigsegg transmission is rated at twice the torque limit to the ZF PDK box Which probably means it could be made even lighter for the 991 GT3.

PS. I did my military service in that hanger, years before Koenigsegg moved in
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty cool. would be great if they could sell them to Porsche. I did note he mentioned "hyper car" a few times. Would think the cost would not fit in a sub $200K car.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
pretty cool. would be great if they could sell them to Porsche. I did note he mentioned "hyper car" a few times. Would think the cost would not fit in a sub $200K car.
I had the impression that it would be cheaper to build than a PDK box, due to less complexity.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'm a Manual fan, but this approach seems more suited to the GT3/RS than PDK (lighter, simpler, faster?):

Putting 1140 hp to the Ground - Inside Koenigsegg - YouTube
That's nice. 85Kg. Hydraulic diff clutch. Manual shift, single clutch (plus the external synchronizer clutch) and 1100+ hp. From a tiny, little Swedish (?!) car company. Only ten years since their first customer car delivery.

The new Porsche?

Now if only I could pronounce, let alone spell the name! I think Clarkson calls them Koenigseggseggoenigseggseggoenigseggseggseggseggoenigsegg. Near enough.

I could do without the doors, but I imagine they're functional. Otherwise, it's quite a marvelous thing from all angles, if a little fussy in the details here and there.

Wouldn't it be something if they built a monocoque Boxster/Cayman with a small V8, say 600 horse, just ABS and minimal SC/TC with defeat switches ...

I certainly envy them that damn gearbox. If it were a close ratio sequential and took care of the clutch if you wanted, or gave the third pedal to you when you wanted, it would be bloody good.

Porsche and McLaren both look rather lacking in design and innovation compared to the advances from Koenigsegg.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:16 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's nice. 85Kg. Hydraulic diff clutch. Manual shift, single clutch (plus the external synchronizer clutch) and 1100+ hp. From a tiny, little Swedish (?!) car company. Only ten years since their first customer car delivery.

The new Porsche?

Now if only I could pronounce, let alone spell the name! I think Clarkson calls them Koenigseggseggoenigseggseggoenigseggseggseggseggoenigsegg. Near enough.

I could do without the doors, but I imagine they're functional. Otherwise, it's quite a marvelous thing from all angles, if a little fussy in the details here and there.

Wouldn't it be something if they built a monocoque Boxster/Cayman with a small V8, say 600 horse, just ABS and minimal SC/TC with defeat switches ...

I certainly envy them that damn gearbox. If it were a close ratio sequential and took care of the clutch if you wanted, or gave the third pedal to you when you wanted, it would be bloody good.

Porsche and McLaren both look rather lacking in design and innovation compared to the advances from Koenigsegg.
the company is not as much a business as a life long obsession for a very wealth man that says do and no shareholders to menage. no way to compare the egg man with Porsche. Pretty sure the 918 will not cost as much
Old 03-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
the company is not as much a business as a life long obsession for a very wealth man that says do and no shareholders to menage. no way to compare the egg man with Porsche. Pretty sure the 918 will not cost as much
I've been keeping an eye on Koenigsegg for years, but it's not my cup of tea, just impressive to see how far he's come with that car and how bloody focused he is on what he's doing!

I'd still go with Pagani at that price bracket, these billionaires baubles aint fer the likes of me.

It's not fair to either party to compare car for car or company to company, but once you drill down to products and compare design and invention, I think Porsche and McLaren have invented sweet FA since the 2009 and the engine and trans that Porsche would carry forward to date, and McLaren has "innovated" but they're not bringing anything (anything?) new to market.

I don't mean to incite a riot of debate over whatever stuff each vendor has taken off the shelf or adapted to their purposes for mechanical or electric energy hybrids, etc. It's nothing new, just new to the auto industry, packaged in a "halo" vehicle.

Anyway, I'm really curious about that box. I wonder who else makes a box that light, handling that much grunt. I think it only goes to expose the fact that Porsche is working towards products for general market appeal, not for the niche market of track junkies and enthusiasts.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

don't laugh at the swedes.... check this out

Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...a-semi-feature
STEP 2: Hold the clutch pedal to the floor to engage the clutch brake, which stops the transmission gears from turning, a necessary feature that allows the shifter to go into gear without grinding in this synchro-less transmission. Select “lo” by moving the shifter left and back.

Note that here in the video, at the 4:30 mark, Koenigsegg claims an invention, but it's really just a design taken from heavy commercial transmissions (and some boats, etc.) Some not quite "revolutionary" but that's not to say it's not a fantastic gearbox. No dog rings, no driveline flywheel mass from the syncro's. 81Kg for a transaxle gearbox! Aargh! I've got to stop thinking about this …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QJlL0zNdMA#t=265s
Old 03-20-2013, 04:42 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tbred911
don't laugh at the swedes.... check this out
Jajamensan, snabbaste bilen i Götlaborg
Old 03-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ja, det er rimlig hurtig...
Old 03-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Certainly interesting.

However, I doubt the transmission from a hypercar that sells for over $1,000,000.00 will find it's way to a mass produced vehicle that's 1/10th the cost!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Certainly interesting.

However, I doubt the transmission from a hypercar that sells for over $1,000,000.00 will find it's way to a mass produced vehicle that's 1/10th the cost!
The point is that this gearbox should be less expensive to build compared to a PDK box, as well as much lighter.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

As i was saying:

From Wiki:
"AMG SpeedShift MCT

Mercedes-AMG developed the 7-speed MCT "Multi Clutch Technology" planetary semi-automatic transmission.
The MCT transmission is essentially the 7G-Tronic automatic transmission without a torque converter. Instead of a torque converter, it uses a compact wet startup clutch to launch the car from a stop, and also supports computer-controlled double declutching. The MCT (Multi-Clutch Technology) acronym refers to a planetary (automatic) transmission’s multiple clutches and bands for each gear.[4]
The MCT is fitted with four drive modes: “C” (Comfort), “S” (Sport), “S+” (Sport plus) and “M” (Manual) and boasts 100 millisecond shifts in "M" and "S+" modes. MCT-equipped cars are also fitted with the new AMG DRIVE UNIT with innovative Race Start function. The AMG DRIVE UNIT is the central control unit for the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission and all driving dynamics functions. The driver can change gears either using the selector lever, or by nudging the steering-wheel shift paddles. The new Race start Function is a launch control system which enables the driver to call on maximum acceleration, while ensuring optimum traction of the driven wheels.
It is available on the 2009 SL 63 AMG and E63 AMG, and will be used for the 2011 S63 AMG and CL63 AMG, and the 2012 CLS63 AMG and C63 AMG."

FF to 3:40

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 03-21-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sorry, I'm zero technical, but this is the best automatic gearbox I've driven.

You gotta love a 800lbtq (simple Renntech tune) in a 2 door 5100lb, B pillar less coupe that comes with 275 width rear tires
I agree the Benz box is (now it has no slush box torque converter) is superior to PDK. I've had a lot of PDK track time (did I mention a lap record at Sears ... ? : ) and only a little more than a few point and squirt drives in a new Benz, so I dunno. I know I don't want 5100lbs of anything!

I drove a supercharged M5 cabrio thing (aftermarket blower) rated at a claimed 600 -- 650 ground neddies and torque that came with a warning sticker saying it might alter the rotation of the planet or cause the moon to shift orbit if applied injudiciously. It was one of those "so technology can overcome physics" cars.

But the tires left no doubt, it was on the "she has a lovable personality" side of two tons and, to paraphrase Pulp Fiction, "we'd have to be talking about one charming <expletive deleted> pig."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Tl1kvlQU#t=65s

Quick Reply: Video: Interesting Transmission approach from Koenigsegg