Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't Porsche produce a greater number of GT cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 12:56 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

There are 163 pre-owned 991.1 GT3's and RS's just on cars.com alone. Does anyone that wants one not have quite a few to choose from?

Now the prices, that another story. It's fixed and currently in a bubble. Many aren't moving for a reason.

Wait until 991.2's in both models start being delivered. Reality will settle in. Not to mention a downturn in the stock market, you'll see huge drops. The strong market is the number one reason for all this frenzy. Once that pops, so does the fly by night crowd that's come out of the woodwork. Porsche knows this too. They think long term. Unfortunately most car buyers don't.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:04 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Why can't Porsche produce a greater number of GT cars?
Because it would put Rennlist out of business.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:09 AM
Stgrt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:12 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Because it would put Rennlist out of business.

There would be nothing to talk about.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:13 AM
rai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Yup. Put down a deposit now, a year or three and you will be at the top of the list to buy.
Thanks I'll look into it, I'm flexible but likely 2-4 years out.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:30 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The people "crying"
Why can't Porsche produce MORE GT cars
Wil be the first to "cry"
Why is Porsche producing so many GT cars, after THEY own one

At the end of the day, it's just a car. In the meantime establish connections, pay over MSRP or live without.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:53 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,023 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

There would be nothing to talk about.
Sure we would...more tracking, set-up, track manaction threads.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:57 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
The people "crying"

At the end of the day, it's just a car. In the meantime establish connections, pay over MSRP or live without.
Hmm. You won't find me in this camp. I'm sure a lot of you guys are a lot more successful than me, but $175K is a lot of after tax coin. I will pay sticker for a really good new car specced by me, not some cozy flipper buddy of my local dealer.

Jim
Old 05-28-2017, 02:01 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems when a new GT is announced we get the same topic
Over
And
Over
Nothing ever changes
Porsche will be Porsche
Old 05-28-2017, 02:12 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
The people "crying"

....and if you make sure that you already have a good car, and I do, then I guess you can live without! You're right. It is just a car, and I buy and drive them for fun. Hard to imagine any of these as an investment.

J
Old 05-28-2017, 05:04 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
There are 163 pre-owned 991.1 GT3's and RS's just on cars.com alone. Does anyone that wants one not have quite a few to choose from?

Now the prices, that another story. It's fixed and currently in a bubble. Many aren't moving for a reason.

Wait until 991.2's in both models start being delivered. Reality will settle in. Not to mention a downturn in the stock market, you'll see huge drops. The strong market is the number one reason for all this frenzy. Once that pops, so does the fly by night crowd that's come out of the woodwork. Porsche knows this too. They think long term. Unfortunately most car buyers don't.
I agree with everything except for the bolded part. If they did think long term and remember the lean times, then they'd remember how badly things were in 1993 when they almost went under. If they held real fears of those type of days one day returning, then they'd be sure that they don't **** off customers with all the "market adjustments" which have been allowed by PCNA. Yes, AP's recent acknowledgments and admonishment of the practices may slightly deter a few, but the worst offenders will just continue since they sell the most cars and can pretty much dictate how they're going to do business.

As far as GT car capacity, the Boxster/Cayman platform could easily be moved back to Leipzig like previously, if needed in order to increase the capabilities to produce more GT cars. However, the enormous number of GT cars which would be necessitated to be sold in order to offset moving the 718's production just wouldn't be realistic. I honestly just could never picture demand to be that high, even at MSRP.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:56 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I agree with everything except for the bolded part. If they did think long term and remember the lean times, then they'd remember how badly things were in 1993 when they almost went under. If they held real fears of those type of days one day returning, then they'd be sure that they don't **** off customers with all the "market adjustments" which have been allowed by PCNA. Yes, AP's recent acknowledgments and admonishment of the practices may slightly deter a few, but the worst offenders will just continue since they sell the most cars and can pretty much dictate how they're going to do business.

As far as GT car capacity, the Boxster/Cayman platform could easily be moved back to Leipzig like previously, if needed in order to increase the capabilities to produce more GT cars. However, the enormous number of GT cars which would be necessitated to be sold in order to offset moving the 718's production just wouldn't be realistic. I honestly just could never picture demand to be that high, even at MSRP.

I meant they think LONG TERM in the fact that there is no financial return by investing in additional factory capacity for sports cars as it's not a growth market.

As far as 1993 goes, those days are long forgotten and those problems had nothing to do with pissing off a handful of guys with GT allocations. Most of the whining about GT cars and ADM's here is coming from guys that are newer to the brand, only are interested in GT cars, and in the big scope of things haven't left the brand anyway. If anything, many who have "established relationships" and are getting cars easily at MSRP are doing so by buying LOTS of other models already. With those examples it's a huge financial win for Porsche and its dealers.

All benefits Porsche gets by having these cars marketed the way they are, hugely outweigh any pissing off they may do to any long term buyers. None of which I've ever read about leaving the brand. Have you read about the last 5 years record sales #'s? It's a formula that's working. Porsche has more to lose by overproducing GT cars than it has to benefit.

Porsche's LONG term outlook is hooking the next wave of buyers for their cars, which mostly happen to be non sports cars. Unfortunately they could really care less about the 65+ yr old long term buyers who have a limited future buying cars from them. I'd argue 80% of the new school GT car fans weren't Porsche customers before 2014. Of those 80%, 50% are attracted by the "hard to get" image and strong resale #'s.

Porsche as a company has NO feelings and doesn't have a personal relationship with its buyers. They are in business to make money and is filled with executives and dealers who think more about their own situation than worrying about the old long term buyers like they were a grandparent. Unfortunately, many people could care less about extended family members as is. Some Porsche executive board member in Germany could give two hoots about "Larry in Seattle" and his 30 year Porsche history.

You want touchy/feely join a Porsche club. Porsche as a company these days is too big to care about uncle Frank and his car stories from the 70's and 80's.

This is reality, all of which they won't tell you.

Last edited by STG; 05-28-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:30 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
When I was looking for my 991 GT3 I found cars.com to be fairly not reliable as to if the cars really were available. Some cars get automaticaly listed as soon as they show up at a dealer, even if pre sold. Sopme were sold and re listed months later. Dealer was not surprised when I told him I saw it on cars.com. Same with some of the other similar sites. Most reliable sites were ebay and the PorscheUSA pre owned link.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:34 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
When I was looking for my 991 GT3 I found cars.com to be fairly not reliable as to if the cars really were available. Some cars get automaticaly listed as soon as they show up at a dealer, even if pre sold. Sopme were sold and re listed months later. Dealer was not surprised when I told him I saw it on cars.com. Same with some of the other similar sites. Most reliable sites were ebay and the PorscheUSA pre owned link.
Not everything is even on cars.com and a handful are not legit I get it.

eBay is a terrible measure and Porsche locator ONLY shows cars at Porsche dealers.

The # is WELL over 200 cars in the US when you look into the whole pre-owned market. Look at the RL classifieds. I've even lost track there!

Point being made is that there's no shortage of cars out there.

Last edited by STG; 05-28-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:19 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

RS prices have been falling. There's a nicely optioned car at a local dealer asking $219K with PCCB's and real seats.

Quick Reply: Why can't Porsche produce a greater number of GT cars?