Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS separation anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:24 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Cancelled my GT3 order - may sell the RS now or keep for the new RS if it's an easy option ... not likely.

Rather be enjoying vs debating especially with a car dealership the energy the wait etc. have no idea how guys here do it.

Anyway you already have the best no reason to downgrade in hopes to upgrade - enjoy!
Old 05-25-2017, 09:27 AM
MC90
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm one of the few it seems that's going to trade in my 991 RS for a 991.2 GT3 with PDK. So I obviously disagrees with what a lot of you are saying. I don’t see going from a 991 RS to a 991.2 GT3 as a downgrade, more of a sidestep.

I have a few reasons why I'm doing so:
* It's faster than the RS. Numbers don't mean much to me, but I wouldn't buy a slower car.
* I'm very excited about the new engine.
* I have never fallen in love with the color of my RS (Lava Orange). So I'm really looking forward to get a car in a spec I really like.
* I use my RS primarily as a road car. So I appreciate some of the features that makes the new GT3 more livable than the RS. Like the reversing camera and Bose stereo.
* Buying another Porsche from my local dealer makes me more likely to get limited models in the future.
* My RS has done a lot of km (just over 30.000 km). Had a five week spontaneous road trip in it, which put on many miles in a short time. So having a new and fresh car is something I crave.
* And finally my RS uses quite a bit of oil which annoys me. I have had it checked by the dealer twice, and they say the oil usage is within the limit Porsche thinks is normal. But weirdly it started using a bit less after its last service.

But I think I still would trade in my RS for a new GT3 even if my RS hadn't done so many miles and didn't use oil. If I have made the right decision only time will tell. I get my new GT3 in early November, so in five months time I know if I have done the right thing or not And I know that many of the points is very personal to me, so I'm not saying the right thing to do for everyone is to trade in their RS. But the discussion on trading in a RS for GT3 isn't as straightforward as some thinks it is.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:58 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MC90
I'm one of the few it seems that's going to trade in my 991 RS for a 991.2 GT3 with PDK. So I obviously disagrees with what a lot of you are saying. I don’t see going from a 991 RS to a 991.2 GT3 as a downgrade, more of a sidestep.

I have a few reasons why I'm doing so:
* It's faster than the RS. Numbers don't mean much to me, but I wouldn't buy a slower car.
* I'm very excited about the new engine.
* I have never fallen in love with the color of my RS (Lava Orange). So I'm really looking forward to get a car in a spec I really like.
* I use my RS primarily as a road car. So I appreciate some of the features that makes the new GT3 more livable than the RS. Like the reversing camera and Bose stereo.
* Buying another Porsche from my local dealer makes me more likely to get limited models in the future.
* My RS has done a lot of km (just over 30.000 km). Had a five week spontaneous road trip in it, which put on many miles in a short time. So having a new and fresh car is something I crave.
* And finally my RS uses quite a bit of oil which annoys me. I have had it checked by the dealer twice, and they say the oil usage is within the limit Porsche thinks is normal. But weirdly it started using a bit less after its last service.

But I think I still would trade in my RS for a new GT3 even if my RS hadn't done so many miles and didn't use oil. If I have made the right decision only time will tell. I get my new GT3 in early November, so in five months time I know if I have done the right thing or not And I know that many of the points is very personal to me, so I'm not saying the right thing to do for everyone is to trade in their RS. But the discussion on trading in a RS for GT3 isn't as straightforward as some thinks it is.
It's an upgrade, no question. .1RS certainly has the brawn, but lacks where it counts most - heart.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:33 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by JSA
Having owned both the 991.1 GT3 and 991.1 GT3RS, the RS is NOT marketing hype to get us to "buy more cars." It is head and shoulders more of a car. And even the 991.2 GT3 with its more narrow track width doesn't provide the same driving experience.

You sound like a narrow minded GT3 owner. 😂

And to call a PDK a bore to drive is another narrow minded thing to say. I race a manual. And the art of heel/toe is a lot of fun. But with the speed and grip level of these GT cars I have plenty of fun with the PDK as it allows me to concentrate on other things like slip angle.
How nice of you to put words in my mouth. I never said PDK "was a bore to drive." Too, the 991.1 RS may be "head and shoulders more of a car," but it's also slower than the 991.2 GT3. Anyway, I should have never waded in here -- carry on with your "RS is an RS....".
Old 05-25-2017, 01:53 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

JSA, have we ever met? I work in Marietta, live in Woodstock.

Keep the RS!

I saw your thread title and it reminded me that my RS has been stuck in the garage with a huge pile of dirt in front of the door. Waiting for foundation walls to dry on second/new garage so dirt can get back-filled before pouring the slab. It's been two weeks since they dug all the dirt up. Normally I get out at least for an hour on the weekend even if I'm busy. I'm jonesing here!!
Old 05-25-2017, 03:58 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
It's an upgrade, no question. .1RS certainly has the brawn, but lacks where it counts most - heart.
I just read this tripe and laugh. 991RS lacks heart? LOL. In fact, the alleged "downgrade" still sells for substantially more than the GT3 "upgrade". Odd isn't it? Only advantage is the .2 revs 500 rpms higher. Faster at the Ring? Also ran in better weather and ran superior version Cup 2's. If you have to have the latest and greatest GT3 have at it.

Cite me one valve train failure on the .1 RS.
.1 4.0 lump is so far bullet proof.
Ran fawlessly in the 2015 GT3R. Motorsport heritage established. Fact continually ignored here.
Set performance standards in its class from launch and punched way above its weight as well.
Still outshined the new AMG GTR according to Chris Harris despite it being 2 years old at this point.
Garnered tremendous ADMs and still sells for over MSRP used.
Killer looks and performance.

What crap. I'll stick with my RS "downgrade". LOL
Old 05-25-2017, 04:33 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a feeling the front end of the .2 won't be as planted as the .1RS. stability in high speed turns also should be better in the RS vs the .1. I do think the GT3 is a better road car but that is just my opinion and many disagree with me. I am really going to have a tough decision as well when and if the time comes
Old 05-25-2017, 04:59 PM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

it always amazes me about how many people cite the speed difference. With the difference between downforce of the RS and the hp gain of the .2, how many owners here actually run at 10/10th's enough to worry about it? Sure a handful might but I would be willing to bet the majority of these comments arefrom pleasure drivers or track day cars.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:15 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep the RS
Old 05-25-2017, 06:31 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I just read this tripe and laugh. 991RS lacks heart? LOL. In fact, the alleged "downgrade" still sells for substantially more than the GT3 "upgrade". Odd isn't it? Only advantage is the .2 revs 500 rpms higher. Faster at the Ring? Also ran in better weather and ran superior version Cup 2's. If you have to have the latest and greatest GT3 have at it.

Cite me one valve train failure on the .1 RS.
.1 4.0 lump is so far bullet proof.
Ran fawlessly in the 2015 GT3R. Motorsport heritage established. Fact continually ignored here.
Set performance standards in its class from launch and punched way above its weight as well.
Still outshined the new AMG GTR according to Chris Harris despite it being 2 years old at this point.
Garnered tremendous ADMs and still sells for over MSRP used.
Killer looks and performance.

What crap. I'll stick with my RS "downgrade". LOL

Old 05-25-2017, 08:07 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

^ LOL
Old 05-25-2017, 08:11 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

LMAO^^
Old 05-25-2017, 09:15 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 119 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by mass27; 08-27-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:27 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ I thought you two made up?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:38 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
^^^ I thought you two made up?
It's a process.