Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS separation anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:37 PM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on how long you plan to keep it, the delta between long term value and Interest drops off considerably when comparing to an RS.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:43 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Remember that famous saying..... "a RS is a RS". Only trade the .1RS for the .2RS. We might even be in for a big surprise. A MT.2RS
^^that's what I'm planning on!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Also remember that while everyone is excited that the new engine is going to be better, we don't know what new problems will be created by the design changes. Could even be less reliable than the 991.1 RS engine - you're trading something known and working for another unknown crapshoot.

Testing a related engine in the Cup series and making changes to me means we're probably the Beta testers vs the Alpha testers this time around.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:56 PM
Brindle101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSA
So, I'll keep this brief. I own a 2016 GT3RS in white. And I LOVE the car. Nothing looks, feels or drives like it.

But, I have an opportunity to get an allocation on a new 991.2 GT3 in exchange for trading my RS, and hopefully getting an allocation on a 991.2 GT3RS. And prior to owning my current 991.1 RS I owned a 991.1 GT3. And after owning both, a RS is a RS - nothing compares in my mind.

Looking further down the road, what does giving up the RS actually gain me instead of many months (or a year) without owning the car that I really LOVE. I mean, the 991.2 RS will be better but not by a mile. And, if this is the last of the N/A GT3 cars then why on earth would I give up a masterpiece that I already own and that's safely in my garage.

You guys have never been shy about sharing your opinions. So, let's here it.

Thanks
I have an RS and will not give it up until you pry my cold, dead hands from it. No way i would give it up. I also have a 991.1 gt3 , and like you said an RS is an RS. Period!!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:03 PM
Brindle101
Advanced

Originally Posted by Guest89
This is great entertainment.

When did ANYONE profess in any official capacity that "Andreas needed half a gen to deliver Mezger level quality" - ? And how would the initial reviews provide an assessment of such ostensible quality and, uh, longevity?

I wonder how Porsche tricked all of those idiot gentleman drivers who just bought a nearly $200K Cup Car into servicing the engine at 100 hour intervals when the road car allegedly has the exact same engine

The GT1 engine existed before the M96 / M97 and outlasted the more prosaic engine; furthermore, it was never used as a substitute or replacement. They coexisted.

Yes i agree. 100% true. Too much misinformation and conjecture flying around here, (on this thread) you know, too much BS flying around.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:09 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by JSA
So, I'll keep this brief. I own a 2016 GT3RS in white. And I LOVE the car. Nothing looks, feels or drives like it.

But, I have an opportunity to get an allocation on a new 991.2 GT3 in exchange for trading my RS, and hopefully getting an allocation on a 991.2 GT3RS. And prior to owning my current 991.1 RS I owned a 991.1 GT3. And after owning both, a RS is a RS - nothing compares in my mind.

Looking further down the road, what does giving up the RS actually gain me instead of many months (or a year) without owning the car that I really LOVE. I mean, the 991.2 RS will be better but not by a mile. And, if this is the last of the N/A GT3 cars then why on earth would I give up a masterpiece that I already own and that's safely in my garage.

Thanks
Easy - you love your car and should keep it.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:42 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
High potential for regret.
Yep and unless you are benchmark racing there is no reason to take the loss.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:49 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
I can't imagine stepping "down" to a GT3 from an RS

But if you can only have one car, for me it would be manual.
You need more imagination. How is buying a 991.2 GT3 "stepping down" from a 991.1 RS?" I think Porsche puts "RS" after GT3 to get some of you guys buying extra cars, indulging the fantasy that RS models (of all vintages) are superior to all GT3 models. Even AP disagrees, and he's in a position to know.

Manual > PDK for driving fun -- track times aren't everything.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:10 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Delete
Old 05-25-2017, 02:25 AM
HGM 10
Advanced

Originally Posted by bronson7
Remember that famous saying..... "a RS is a RS". Only trade the .1RS for the .2RS. We might even be in for a big surprise. A MT.2RS
that's all i want... im on the same dilema... cheers
Old 05-25-2017, 04:18 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
.1s have a bastard-child engine. GT3 brand demands a motorsport engine. .2 has motorsport blooded in as it should've been in the first place.
.1RS has Motorsport engine. Ever hear of 2015 GT3R?

Even. if it were a "bastard child" engine which it's not Chris Harris just chose the 2 year old bastard child over the new AMG GTR. Not bad for a bastard child.

i have mt cars and there is no doubt, none that the level of performance the newer RS and GT3 have can only really be utilized and tapped best with the PDK. AP was right.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:41 AM
JSA
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
You need more imagination. How is buying a 991.2 GT3 "stepping down" from a 991.1 RS?" I think Porsche puts "RS" after GT3 to get some of you guys buying extra cars, indulging the fantasy that RS models (of all vintages) are superior to all GT3 models. Even AP disagrees, and he's in a position to know.

Manual > PDK for driving fun -- track times aren't everything.
Having owned both the 991.1 GT3 and 991.1 GT3RS, the RS is NOT marketing hype to get us to "buy more cars." It is head and shoulders more of a car. And even the 991.2 GT3 with its more narrow track width doesn't provide the same driving experience.

You sound like a narrow minded GT3 owner. 😂

And to call a PDK a bore to drive is another narrow minded thing to say. I race a manual. And the art of heel/toe is a lot of fun. But with the speed and grip level of these GT cars I have plenty of fun with the PDK as it allows me to concentrate on other things like slip angle.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:22 AM
03LX470
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JSA

Thanks
I may the minority here or maybe the only one. When I moved from 911 turbo to 991.1 GT3 my happiness level was 10/10

When I got a RS allocation I was very happy and sold my GT3. When I actually got the RS, my happiness level was 5/10 (not as happy as going from 911 turbo to GT3)

I have sold my RS already (with a reasonable loss).

Now there might be more to it than just the car. Maybe I liked the GT3 more due to the color and options.

I am looking forward to the 991.2 GT3 and getting (almost) exactly same color and options like my 991.1 GT3. The only thing I feel left out with the GT3 is the lack of value retention vis-a-vis the RS but then I could never get used to that wing. I like the more integrated wing of the GT3. In. terms of performance I would use neither one to its full extent. They merely fill a void left by the 911 turbo due to the more connectivity with the road, better sound and NA throttle response.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:48 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by 03LX470
I may the minority here or maybe the only one. When I moved from 911 turbo to 991.1 GT3 my happiness level was 10/10

When I got a RS allocation I was very happy and sold my GT3. When I actually got the RS, my happiness level was 5/10 (not as happy as going from 911 turbo to GT3)

I have sold my RS already (with a reasonable loss).

Now there might be more to it than just the car. Maybe I liked the GT3 more due to the color and options.

I am looking forward to the 991.2 GT3 and getting (almost) exactly same color and options like my 991.1 GT3. The only thing I feel left out with the GT3 is the lack of value retention vis-a-vis the RS but then I could never get used to that wing. I like the more integrated wing of the GT3. In. terms of performance I would use neither one to its full extent. They merely fill a void left by the 911 turbo due to the more connectivity with the road, better sound and NA throttle response.
Turbo to GT3 is major difference.
GT3 to RS is not as major as above.
You apparently expected the same jump in difference.
you apparently like lower key. RS is not low key.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:01 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Also remember that while everyone is excited that the new engine is going to be better, we don't know what new problems will be created by the design changes. Could even be less reliable than the 991.1 RS engine - you're trading something known and working for another unknown crapshoot.
People don't seem to get this. And it's an excellent point. Basically all the GT cars have had some sort of issues. I'm not sure why we are assuming the .2 GT3 will have the performance of a supercar and the reliability of a Camry.

The issues are all worth it if you're using the GT car as it was meant to be used. There are very few options out there for a car that can be hammered on the track and then driven home to return to it's DD duties w/ only relatively basic maintenance. I guess I expect that to get the track performance and enjoyment the car is going to be a bit high strung and have some stress points. It's an expensive hobby and I expect to pay in order to track a $200K car. Tracking an RS (or a GT3) is a thrilling experiencing and it costs.

I view every part on my car as a wear item. We spend all this time talking about engine issues but go look at the cost and annoyance of replacing the silly CL hubs. My sense is that the expectations of the current GT car buyer are shifting - more and more of the cars are being used primarily (or exclusively) as DD/weekend fun cars. Those buyers expect a 911-type ownership experience rather than a race car/heavy maintenance experience. To me that's central in this race to the .2 and it's perceived reliability.

Quick Reply: RS separation anxiety