Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Sport Cup 2 Falls of GT3RS at Track... What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 01:31 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
My friends tire came off on a warm up lap at Thunderhill on the 2nd turn during the first session. Tires were newly mounted so we guessed it might be too much tire lube.

Also, these taller wheels don't have much side wall so it seems the wheel are more susceptible to bending.

I was following a GT3 during the recent Rennlist day at BRP and thru the esses his tire came off the rim. Here is a video of it.

https://youtu.be/hHKmnByQbAc
It looks he went over the curbing and into the dirt right before the incident and the video shows a piece of the tire came flying before the tire gave up, unless that was a sharp object he drove on or possibly a piece of sharp debris got thrown from dirt area into his tire sidewall and made a cut in his tire. Thanks for sharing the video. Mark
Old 05-24-2017, 01:33 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

My friends tire came off on a warm up lap at Thunderhill on the 2nd turn during the first session. Tires were newly mounted so we guessed it might be too much tire lube.

Also, these taller wheels don't have much side wall so it seems the wheel are more susceptible to bending.

I was following a GT3 during the recent Rennlist day at BRP and thru the esses his tire came off the rim. Here is a video of it.

https://youtu.be/hHKmnByQbAc
They don't use tire lube on the SC2, just soap.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:35 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
It looks he went over the curbing and into the dirt right before the incident and the video shows a piece of the tire came flying before the tire gave up, unless that was a sharp object he drove on or possibly a piece of sharp debris got thrown from dirt area into his tire sidewall and made a cut in his tire. Thanks for sharing the video. Mark
It is actually his left rear tire that blew out and he didn't hit the berm with it. Perhaps jumping up the berm he created a heavy load on the sidewall of the left tire.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:38 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

It is actually his left rear tire that blew out and he didn't hit the berm with it. Perhaps jumping up the berm he created a heavy load on the sidewall of the left tire.
Or maybe his nuts were loose and the bump made the tire deflate... either way really bad driving, he was all over the place.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:01 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Looking at the video again, it looks the piece that flew off, Perhaps was his brake cooling duct. it could have came in contact with the curbing as (right) rear passenger wheel went into a little dip in the dirt. Does not explain the left tire failure though! Mark
Old 05-24-2017, 03:24 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

MBMVTOTY

Might be most valuable thread this year

Thanks a lot to all contributors.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:12 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

The bird is back in its nest...

So i went down to dealer today to pick up the car and I was shocked and what a great job they did.

I can't believe they are actually able to fix rims like this because I can't see any visual repair marks at all.

The crazy part was there was another GT3RS in the service bay in Vodoo Blue, and the service manage looked at me and said that car gets tracked too.

We walked over to it and he tried to turn the nut on the valve by hand and they were all loose!

Not sure who owns that car but he can thank me later because if not found it is a matter of time before that would happen to him as well.

So got the car just in time for Targa Trophy tomorrow which should be a blast.

Here is a pic of the rim now after the repair.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:27 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow I'm glad that turned out well. Good on you for checking the other guys RS!
Old 05-27-2017, 04:07 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update and Glad it all worked out & turned well. Mark

Quick Reply: Michelin Sport Cup 2 Falls of GT3RS at Track... What to do?