Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup-style Xenons for 991.2 or 991.1-style Leds for 991.2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017 | 02:14 PM
ChoyV
Racer

I don't know if there are the same with Porsche as far as the light output. My dealer in Benz told me that the output for both LED and Xenon are the same due to government restrictions . But I insisted on the LED on my C300 and prior to that was just a Xenon on an older C300. I've never noticed any differences between LED and Xenon light output.
Old 05-22-2017 | 02:24 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by CYKBC
Black LEDs no question about it. Cooler color, literal and figurative, more lumens too.

Xenons are dated.
I believe the greater lumens of LED are only on non-USA cars. Don't quote me as this info is always hard to uncover but I recall someone found this out.
Old 05-22-2017 | 02:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I believe the greater lumens of LED are only on non-USA cars. Don't quote me as this info is always hard to uncover but I recall someone found this out.
Yes, that's correct. DOT regulations.

I know BMW guys have been able to code US cars to ROW LED specs; dunno if Porsche guys have been able to do it. Never seen an option for this on the PIWIS screens.
Old 05-22-2017 | 11:18 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

K, so basically the relative value of LED remains particularly low for us in the USA. To me it's a no-brainer this time.. the PDLS in black for $700 are the way to go, you get some black, and you get lights which swivel which I think make a huge difference. Now with the 4 closely spaced dots I think this is the sweetspot. $2900 black LED seem foolish to my wallet.
Old 05-22-2017 | 11:46 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

K, so basically the relative value of LED remains particularly low for us in the USA. To me it's a no-brainer this time.. the PDLS in black for $700 are the way to go, you get some black, and you get lights which swivel which I think make a huge difference. Now with the 4 closely spaced dots I think this is the sweetspot. $2900 black LED seem foolish to my wallet.
The PLDS option opens up the need to match the nipple to the body color, another $300 something option. Also the PDLS changes the headlight housing from silver to dark gray. The nipple comes standard black, if that works for you, great. When matching the silver wheels, the standard headlight option works best. Xeons, LED's and the newest laser lights in the near future will be fine for driving at night.
Old 05-23-2017 | 12:03 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

And keep in mind, there is a vinyl sticker kit to add a black ring DIY.
The following users liked this post:
cox1974 (03-29-2020)
Old 05-23-2017 | 01:34 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
And keep in mind, there is a vinyl sticker kit to add a black ring DIY.
See! Learn something new every day! Who sells this? Just saved me $2200!

EDIT: how 20th century of me asking questions when i can google:

https://kistudios.com/wp-content/upl...t-1024x683.jpg

Old 05-23-2017 | 08:02 AM
Leclerc
Track Day

Originally Posted by 0to60
My build is the standard Xeons. With the standard lights there is not a ‘nipple” to match paint to the body. With the “free” silver wheels the standard lights match nicely. As far as driving at night, the Xeons are more than adequate. Say no to nipples
Not sure where you get this info. Nipple is/was always present on the 991 GT3
(black on the .2, silver on the .1)
The following users liked this post:
Surgio (03-24-2020)
Old 05-23-2017 | 10:32 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

^ Correct. Nipple will come regardless. Configurator explanation is inaccurate.

Furthermore, please go back to Chaosoul's post in reference to what each specific light option gives you. For example, even if you choose the PDLS option thinking it's "kinda black" and later want to put stickers on your 200K car to make the outside ring black, there are still sections inside the light housing that will be chrome/silver. Therefore the ONLY option you can choose if you want your headlights to match the 234 other black pieces on the exterior of the car is the LED Black. Of course, you can tear apart the light housing and spray it all black with a $5 can of spray paint.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14121680

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14120350
Old 05-23-2017 | 10:41 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^ This is it. $3k a waste for lights that are barely better.

Car out of box is setup great. Just need the LWB's and everything else is subjective and all about cosmetics. I would add the full leather is also probably a mandatory option.
Chet
Old 05-23-2017 | 10:51 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

The high beams are regulated and have a maximum output. The low beams are 30-40 percent brighter with LEDs. This also doesn't take into account the spread pattern and distance of beam travel. Both of these are much better with LEDs.

Old 05-23-2017 | 12:22 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

I have to agree, here in the Rocky mountains frequent animals at night make for interesting driving and with LEDs I feel much earlier recognition and reaction time much better. I understand that is of limited use but still feel like LEDs are worth the cash IMHO
Old 05-23-2017 | 09:20 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by race7117
I have to agree, here in the Rocky mountains frequent animals at night make for interesting driving and with LEDs I feel much earlier recognition and reaction time much better. I understand that is of limited use but still feel like LEDs are worth the cash IMHO
Exactly why I feel I will go with the LED's again.
Old 05-02-2018 | 03:33 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
be honest with yourself, what are your intentions of the car? Will it be a car you want to use mostly or a good portion of time on the track and rarely if ever driven at night? If you're doing those other lightweight options mentioned, if that's the case, I suppose go Xenons, so it can be the closest to true street legal "race car" as can be ordered. Then MAYBE years down the road, it will retain slightly higher value to the right customer due to the rarity (maybe some would even call it purity?) of the spec. But if it serves as a second car that you will enjoy taking out with your wife to dinner and may do some actual night drives and use it on the road, then I'd go ahead and spec it with the BLACK LED's. Man to me, nothing looks better than the black headlight option! If you really really want the black option but want to retain the Xenon spec, it's easy enough to open up the headlights and have the buckets blacked out. If you're not comfortable doing so, there are plenty of shops that are willing to do it for you. But if that's the option you choose, I'd find a set from Sun Coast or other retailer, do it to those and keep the ones that came with the car original, just incase you decide to sell it down the road, you can pop the stock ones back in. Regardless of your choice, congratulations and I'm sure you will absolutely LOVE your "modern" Porsche!
I don’t think the 991.2 can be switched for the 991.1 black pdls? I thought you can not get at inside of the assembly to color the chrome and silver parts?

please advise tks
Old 03-28-2020 | 07:12 PM
ZerOG
Racer

This thread came up as I was searching and didn’t find an answer so, here it is.

Has anyone tried to get the programming changed so that the DRL on the LED headlamps stay ON when the headlamps are active?

This would look awesome.

thank you

Quick Reply: Cup-style Xenons for 991.2 or 991.1-style Leds for 991.2?