Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CQuartz Finest RESERVE, on a 911R, @ Shine Auto!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Shine Auto Salon
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reserve re-application

Originally Posted by Sloopy
I need to replace my wrap on the rear quarter panels due to rock damage. Once done I want to update my finest to Reserve. What is the process for re-coating most areas done in Finest?

Note that the front is wrapped with Finest over it and doors top and rear of the car is paint with Finest.
The coating would need to be polished off in order to re-apply the new Reserve coating.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:09 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shine Auto Salon
The coating would need to be polished off in order to re-apply the new Reserve coating.
Would you need to do the same (polished off) if you had CQ Finest on for 3 years with no film, then wanting to reapply CQ Reserve?
Old 05-18-2017, 12:40 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Would you need to do the same (polished off) if you had CQ Finest on for 3 years with no film, then wanting to reapply CQ Reserve?
This is precisely where coatings get tricky, IMHO. They offer tremendous protection, but it's a fairly new industry. Reminds me of automatic gearboxes in the last decade... The rate of improvement is such that last year's 'must have' is this year's 'so what?'.

The mechanical removal is required due to the durability and the fact that they're chemical resistant (no IPA removal here). Not a big deal with no PPF but if it's applied over PPF then you might as well like what you have. In all honesty the PPF rather limits the gloss and depth you can achieve anyway, so durability is arguably paramount.

I wish more companies would stick to a 1-2 year durability and formulate to improve gloss and slickness. As great as these things are the rate of technical improvement means that what'a around in 24 months will always be much better... The inherent durability makes it an area where chasing the latest and greatest is prohibitive and expensive... much like paint protection film.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can it sections on film be polished off?

Quick Reply: CQuartz Finest RESERVE, on a 911R, @ Shine Auto!