Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017 | 06:52 PM
Jackets911
Rennlist Member

Default Exhaust question

I'm interested in the Dundon headers with cats for my 2016 RS. Being an engineer and entrepreneur, I appreciate their passion for innovation and data driven, scientific approach to their designs and product!

However, given one of the the intents of this package is for legal street use, I am just wondering if the performance benefits will be at all noticeable at legal street speeds as opposed to only showing gains at 120+mph (or at some speed not appropriate for the street).

This would leave the improved exhaust note as an obvious street application benefit but clearly center delete units are much more cost effective in this regard.
Old 05-03-2017 | 07:24 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jackets911
I'm interested in the Dundon headers with cats for my 2016 RS. Being an engineer and entrepreneur, I appreciate their passion for innovation and data driven, scientific approach to their designs and product!

However, given one of the the intents of this package is for legal street use, I am just wondering if the performance benefits will be at all noticeable at legal street speeds as opposed to only showing gains at 120+mph (or at some speed not appropriate for the street).

This would leave the improved exhaust note as an obvious street application benefit but clearly center delete units are much more cost effective in this regard.
From what I have read the sound is better, and power can be felt across the entire engine range. But Jamie is active here, and can chime in. Also, Matt Moreman has the headers w/o cats, and he has some dyno info. Check out Obsessed Garage.
Old 05-03-2017 | 10:40 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Absolutely you'll notice it on the street, every on ramp and every time you want to pass someone on the highway. from 3000-4500 gains are over 25lbft and 20whp at the wheels. And as soon as you're off of it back to no drone cruising comfort!

Still at $6950 intro pricing and have them in stock ready to ship!

Feel free to PM or email!
jamie @ dundonmotorsports dot com
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 05-03-2017 | 10:51 PM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Dundon headers and exhaust is hands down the best mod you can get for this car. Yes they are not cheap but you get what you pay for. Amazing product. It transforms the car. I love mine
Old 05-03-2017 | 11:05 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

How much weight does this save? Also is it compatible with a center exhaust like akrapovic or do
they make a center exhaust to go with the headers? Thanks everyone
Old 05-03-2017 | 11:22 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Lord knows I've had 13 different exhaust iterations on my car. I'm also and engineer and entrepreneur , and this is hands down best exhaust on the planet. It has my stamp of approval.
Old 05-03-2017 | 11:25 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Money2536
Lord knows I've had 13 different exhaust iterations on my car. I'm also and engineer and entrepreneur , and this is hands down best exhaust on the planet. It has my stamp of approval.
That's all i need to hear, you certainly have been through the range. Honestly I don't know anyone with more experience. Big recommendation indeed
Old 05-04-2017 | 10:46 AM
Jackets911
Rennlist Member

Thanks all, that's what I needed to know and great to hear the enthusiasm for this product!
Old 05-04-2017 | 11:51 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Anyone run these with a center muffler delete? Seems like I'd have no chance to pass my track's sound check so that probably rules that out, just curious... if loud, how loud would that be?

Should have my headers next week! Super excited
Old 05-04-2017 | 04:08 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by race7117
How much weight does this save? Also is it compatible with a center exhaust like akrapovic or do
they make a center exhaust to go with the headers? Thanks everyone
Total savings is 30+ lbs mainly from the side mufflers being deleted. We reuse the stock center muffler as it is very good at killing drone on the street (when used with flaps) and doesn't have much resistance to flow at the current power levels. The stock mufflers do have a flaw, they've been made of paper since Porsche introduced them in the 997.1. We have a new GT3 Center muffler pending that is 321SS and bullet proof, will have the option of being quieter than stock for those dB restricted tracks and will be able to flow more than stock for our pending big engine builds!

Originally Posted by tonymission
Anyone run these with a center muffler delete? Seems like I'd have no chance to pass my track's sound check so that probably rules that out, just curious... if loud, how loud would that be?

Should have my headers next week! Super excited
Not recommended. Will lose significant midrange torque and will drone like crazy!
Old 05-04-2017 | 04:09 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Money2536
Thanks Matt...
Old 05-04-2017 | 04:15 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Not recommended. Will lose significant midrange torque and will drone like crazy!
Say no more, fam.

Last edited by tonymission; 05-05-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2017 | 01:13 AM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
The stock mufflers do have a flaw, they've been made of paper since Porsche introduced them in the 997.1. We have a new GT3 Center muffler pending that is 321SS and bullet proof, will have the option of being quieter than stock for those dB restricted tracks and will be able to flow more than stock for our pending big engine builds!
Jamie, my paper OEM center muffler just developed some cracks so I'm interested in your 321SS project.

And if you can offer a quiet option that will pass the tests at noise restricted tracks you've got a sure buyer! Right now I have to keep one of my two GT3s fitted with the factory exhaust system so that I can drive at the numerous tracks here in the Northeast with noise restrictions.

Can you say anything about the timeframe for your 321SS center muffler?
Old 05-06-2017 | 01:28 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
Jamie, my paper OEM center muffler just developed some cracks so I'm interested in your 321SS project.

And if you can offer a quiet option that will pass the tests at noise restricted tracks you've got a sure buyer! Right now I have to keep one of my two GT3s fitted with the factory exhaust system so that I can drive at the numerous tracks here in the Northeast with noise restrictions.

Can you say anything about the timeframe for your 321SS center muffler?
We have the drawings done, we're shopping some sheet metal mfg.'s currently. It's amazing to me how many US companies are so busy they can't return phone calls/emails... That said we have a few of them engaged and working on prototypes.

We'll offer the muffler in 2 flavors, dB reduction and "normal"... We've tested a prototype of the guts of the muffler with a customers 996 GT3 4.0L race car and he found 10dB reduction. On the 991 GT3 we're also testing muffled test pipes in conjunction with our catted long tube headers, we believe the muffled test pipes, low dB center muffler and turn away tips may be enough to pass Laguna with out a magic box, but we're still testing...

Can't give a firm timeline now, but we're pushing it!
Old 08-14-2018 | 03:23 PM
ethan1
Advanced

I'm interested in the Dundon headers with cats for my 2016 RS.
How did this work out for you?​​​​​

Quick Reply: Exhaust question