Sponsored by:

Official 2018 Sport Classic Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017 | 10:42 PM
OMFS
Racer

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It almost doesn't matter what the title of the thread is does it
Gotta keep it active until someone actually contributes real info on the Sport Classic.
Old 04-29-2017 | 10:49 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by OMFS
Gotta keep it active until someone actually contributes real info on the Sport Classic.
That's dedication to the cause right there!
Old 04-30-2017 | 06:40 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
it's fascinating to watch a great brand destroy and dilute its heritage and product line.

brunch edition
dinner edition
vegan edition
china special
dubai chrome
sport classic
vintage edition

sometimes enough is just enough
inventing "special" cars is definitely not the same having SPECIAL cars. This car completely reeks of artificially conjured up "special" car. There is absolutely no reason for this car to exist as a standalone model, let alone in limited numbers. Sounds like what it really should be, is the GTS. I get the feeling that this car wont be "special" enough for the VIP's, so they'll just leave this one alone. Then the the SC will find their way into the hands of those who wanted but couldn't get an R. This is Porsche's conciliatory offering to those who couldn't get an R and answering of the complaints about feeling left out and unappreciated by Porsche by it's most loyal patrons who may not buy million dollar halo cars such as the CGT and 918, yet purchase a new 911 every 2 years for the past 30+ years etc. But the truth is, if they keep doing limited editions and everyone gets a limited edition, just of a different flavor, then this cheapens the and dilutes the exclusivity of the truly SPECIAL cars. The SPECIAL (GT3, GT3RS, 997.2 GT3RS 4.0, GT2RS and others) cars are special not simply because of limited numbers, but because of how they came about, or because of homologation standards or because of use of exotic materials or advances in technology. Lowercase "special" cars are just conjured up and while they may still be more exciting than a standard Carrera or Carrera S, there's really no need for them and now they risk alienating their bread and butter customers who buy Carrera, Carrera S and Carrera GTS cars. I honestly, don't know what the purpose of this car. Well, other than for the opening of wallets.
Originally Posted by djcxxx
After thinking about it, I don't care anymore what Porsche does with the GT cars. Buying a car shouldn't be this much trouble.
Nail on the head!
Old 04-30-2017 | 06:46 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Who cares. If you like the car then buy it, if not then don't. Exclusivity is only a factor for cars and coffee show and tell.

For the record, I think this the gt3 touring package and not a 'sport classic'.
Old 04-30-2017 | 08:47 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
it's fascinating to watch a great brand destroy and dilute its heritage and product line.

brunch edition
dinner edition
vegan edition
china special
dubai chrome
sport classic
vintage edition

sometimes enough is just enough
^+1
Old 04-30-2017 | 09:06 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Fwiw Porsche have been doing RS touring editions since before the GT3 was even a thing.

Here is a 1963 example.

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car...language=en-US
Old 04-30-2017 | 09:30 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Default '73 RS Touring

....and I believe there was a "ducktail" delete option which included an aluminum deck lid. Very, very rare. Any photos out there?

Originally Posted by Bardman
Fwiw Porsche have been doing RS touring editions since before the GT3 was even a thing.

Here is a 1963 example.

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car...language=en-US
Old 04-30-2017 | 11:20 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djcxxx
After thinking about it, I don't care anymore what Porsche does with the GT cars. Buying a car shouldn't be this much trouble.
This is why I've gone with GTS' now vs the GT cars. Too much hassle.
Old 04-30-2017 | 11:48 AM
FJSeattle
Pro

Originally Posted by OMFS
It's a slippery slope. Starts with "Food Inc", then "Forks over Knives" and the next thing you know your reading How Not to Die and subscribing to Rich Roll's podcast.
Or worse, buying a subscription to the NYT.
Old 04-30-2017 | 11:51 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bardman
Who cares. If you like the car then buy it, if not then don't. Exclusivity is only a factor for cars and coffee show and tell.

For the record, I think this the gt3 touring package and not a 'sport classic'.
You may be right, although I've heard the name Sport Classic uttered by an employee and then a dealer.. but I agree that "touring" would make more sense for a name in this case
Old 04-30-2017 | 12:13 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
inventing "special" cars is definitely not the same having SPECIAL cars. This car completely reeks of artificially conjured up "special" car. There is absolutely no reason for this car to exist as a standalone model, let alone in limited numbers. Sounds like what it really should be, is the GTS. I get the feeling that this car wont be "special" enough for the VIP's, so they'll just leave this one alone. Then the the SC will find their way into the hands of those who wanted but couldn't get an R. This is Porsche's conciliatory offering to those who couldn't get an R and answering of the complaints about feeling left out and unappreciated by Porsche by it's most loyal patrons who may not buy million dollar halo cars such as the CGT and 918, yet purchase a new 911 every 2 years for the past 30+ years etc. But the truth is, if they keep doing limited editions and everyone gets a limited edition, just of a different flavor, then this cheapens the and dilutes the exclusivity of the truly SPECIAL cars. The SPECIAL (GT3, GT3RS, 997.2 GT3RS 4.0, GT2RS and others) cars are special not simply because of limited numbers, but because of how they came about, or because of homologation standards or because of use of exotic materials or advances in technology. Lowercase "special" cars are just conjured up and while they may still be more exciting than a standard Carrera or Carrera S, there's really no need for them and now they risk alienating their bread and butter customers who buy Carrera, Carrera S and Carrera GTS cars. I honestly, don't know what the purpose of this car. Well, other than for the opening of wallets.

Nail on the head!
They are a business. The goal is to make product and profits.
Old 04-30-2017 | 12:47 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

i sense the market is starting to get fatigued.. i bet the early response has been underwhelming for porsche on this new GT3; sure the VIPs are buying into it; as they get MSRP and feel it's a no-lose situation; but once they get burned by seeing their R go from $500k to $200k.. they will become more gun shy. IMO, we are at the end of the great NEW car bubble of the last 4-5 years. i see classics continuing to appreciate, just at a slower rate; while new cars normalize and sell at MSRP and depreciate; although GT cars will at a lower rate vs. standard 911's.
Old 04-30-2017 | 03:22 PM
RennOracle
Pro

It's not a special edition, it's a package for the 991.2 gt3. Stop dramatizing.
Old 04-30-2017 | 04:21 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

This is not the Sport Classic which is coming in the summer of 2018.
Old 04-30-2017 | 05:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
i sense the market is starting to get fatigued.. i bet the early response has been underwhelming for porsche on this new GT3; sure the VIPs are buying into it; as they get MSRP and feel it's a no-lose situation; but once they get burned by seeing their R go from $500k to $200k.. they will become more gun shy. IMO, we are at the end of the great NEW car bubble of the last 4-5 years. i see classics continuing to appreciate, just at a slower rate; while new cars normalize and sell at MSRP and depreciate; although GT cars will at a lower rate vs. standard 911's.
all these cars are boring compared to your pair of 73's. see u at luftgekhult next week?

Quick Reply: Official 2018 Sport Classic Thread