Sponsored by:

Smokies starts tomorrow! Official Smokies Pics Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 02:24 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
Though I wasn't there personally this year, the HRE team that did go out to Smokies wanted to thank you for your hospitality and a fantastic time. Hopefully I can tag along next time!
HRE stepped up in ways we never imagined. We are so proud to call HRE a major sponsor of Smokies!

Thank you all at HRE so very much.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

The HRE team were AWESOME! I've never seen an open top Jeep keep up with a bunch of GT3 and RS's in the way that your guys did. One guy hanging out and performing unbelievable camera gymnastics while the other hunts down cars in our group!

Great guys who represent HRE with grace, compassion, and professionalism. Open invite to ALL Smokies events!

Thank you friends.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:17 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Jurrian, Jorge mentioned that you "warned" him about me! LOL
Hopefully we get to meet next time.

Loved hanging out with the guys and chit-chatting in general and even specific conversations related to marketing/selling more HRE wheels. You know I've been team HRE for awhile now and it was fun to get to talk shop with Jorge. He's a great brand ambassador.

Thank you for your continued generosity and support of this great cause! You guys are awesome.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:32 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Jurrian, Jorge mentioned that you "warned" him about me! LOL
Hopefully we get to meet next time.

Loved hanging out with the guys and chit-chatting in general and even specific conversations related to marketing/selling more HRE wheels. You know I've been team HRE for awhile now and it was fun to get to talk shop with Jorge. He's a great brand ambassador.

Thank you for your continued generosity and support of this great cause! You guys are awesome.
Lets be honest here, the only people who need to be warned at an event are you guys since I own a Mustang - She's a real crowd pleaser

Already stated my case so that I can tag along the next trip out, definitely not missing the next one after hearing how much fun you all had.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:36 PM
Love2Apex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was our first Smokies, and most definitely not the last. In Fl we have some of the most, umm, boring roads in the nation, so any good excuse to take Smurfette up to the Smokies, I'm there The huge amount that was raised for the fight against Cystic Fibrosis was incredible! ! The cars brought the people together, although the great people & great times were really the amazing part, with many new friends. 1360 miles in 4 days! Can't get much better than that...

My first day heading to AMP for the track day, I was 20 mins behind, as my spouse had a sinus cold and she slept in to rest up, well I came through some nice twisties and booya Red & Blue right on my bumper! Meanwhile the Valentine 1 never made a peep, ugh! I was very polite, mentioned how beautiful the roads and scenery was, although it didn't matter, the officer was there to collect a paycheck, so I got the full book, 28 over... :/ Then I show up to the track verrrrry late, barely in time for the tail end of the driver's meeting... Well, the rest is history, had a great, fun, fast day at the track.

A special THANK YOU to our supporting sponsor from Central Florida Simon, Mike & Walter from Driver's Choice Motors. They made sure that everything was perfect for the trip and completed the 1st service.

2nd HUGE THANK YOU to GMP Performance for getting us back on the road, when driving through the parking lot at Heavens Landing en route to the bathroom, a piece of settled concrete sliced through the inside side wall of the front right PSC2. On a Saturday at that, stuck at a private Airstrip in the mountains, with no local tire shops having PSC2's available. Here's the STORY... I thought who in the world would have PSC2s in stock, so of course thought of Hennessey Porsche, called them, and they sure as heck had 2 tires avaialble. Phew. Well, not so quick, they were going to be closed before the GMP guys could get to them and then where would they be mounted!? Who would be open, and then not to marr the GT4 wheels? So, I started calling courier services in Atlanta, nope, no one was open on the weekend. Quinton & Stephen from GMP mentioned they were originally planning to to to Road Atlanta for a few hours and watch the Mitty. Well, just so happens that the Hoosier tire guys were at RA for the race, so the GMP guys said, well, we could get them mounted there! Alright, now, how were we going to get the tires from Hennessey many hours away to Road Atlanta, and in time? I spoke to the service advisor Steven, and he was very helpful, we ended up working out a deal and when he got off work he was going to drive to RA and meet with the GMP guys to get them the new tires. Come to find out, Steven brought his wife's car to work, and was having her meet him there with his truck and little one. Then, Hennessy didn't actually have the tires in stock, it was an error in the inventory. Thankfully, with out calling me and freaking me out, he found a set at Jim Ellis, picked them up and headed to RA. The GMP guys took both front wheels with them and left Smurfette on jack stands, to return with the new shoes later in the day. Meanwhile I rode back in the GMP Big Rig, and Stephen took a wrong turn, well that wrong turn, we ended up down a windy back road boarding a stream! Turn after turn, mind you this was my first time riding in a Semi, we barely made it through, essentially triple apexing every turn that was only wide enough for regular pick up trucks! At one point, Stephen said, we have to watch out for the road breaking away on the sides... My heart was in my stomach! And I race cars... lol Then we come up on a small bridge that was no longer than it was wide, and looks like it hasn't been serviced in 50 years. I then ask, "are we going across that"? He replied, "well, we don't have any other choice." OMG. Well, we made it across, and then look back, there is a sign Max 10 tons, well this rig was like 30 tons! Once we crossed the bridge, we got stuck on the other side with oncoming traffic, some good ol' country folk starting coming out of the neighboring house and offered a helping hand with directions and how to get out of this pickle. Oah, yeah, we had no cell service and no navigation, so it was any ones best guess where we were going! After a grueling hour, we traveled about 3 miles total, and finally managed to make it out of the river/stream winding road and onto the main road. What an adventure... Meanwhile the other Smokies were having a blast on the Mountain road drive! So, right before dinner, Quinten drove my GT4 back from the airstrip and was super careful with the car and steering wheel as I'm a bit OCD about it. hehe These guys saved the day and went far above and beyond!

So, if that wasn't boring enough to read, here are some pics...
Attached Images                    

Last edited by Love2Apex; 04-27-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:12 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

From the posts I've been reading,sounds to me like there was quite a bit of CHP presence there! Were they just as excited about this event rolling through town or what?! Surely they could've shown a bit of leniency if you told them about the cause this event is supporting. And before the " self righteous " jump on me...no....no one is above the law...but perhaps 10-20 miles over in the middle of nowhere,in cars designed for this purpose is not as bad as those running beat up junkers,smoking weed with no lights and bald tires. They probably wouldn't turn a second look if those were 30 over...
Sorry about the rant,this just pisses me off! I know how I would feel about the rest of my time there if I got a 30 over...
Old 04-26-2017, 08:16 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
From the posts I've been reading,sounds to me like there was quite a bit of CHP presence there! Were they just as excited about this event rolling through town or what?! Surely they could've shown a bit of leniency if you told them about the cause this event is supporting. And before the " self righteous " jump on me...no....no one is above the law...but perhaps 10-20 miles over in the middle of nowhere,in cars designed for this purpose is not as bad as those running beat up junkers,smoking weed with no lights and bald tires. They probably wouldn't turn a second look if those were 30 over...
Sorry about the rant,this just pisses me off! I know how I would feel about the rest of my time there if I got a 30 over...
The only thing about bringing up the cause is that it could reflect poorly on the cause. Have to be careful with that one. There were many more police this year then prior, but that's the risk.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:37 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

We are working on the police thing - Can't go into details but we believe it will be better next year. I believe all in all we had three tickets and two warnings.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:49 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
What was the top speed on the runway runs?
Old 04-27-2017, 02:38 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fskof
What was the top speed on the runway runs?
The 918 hit 174.

Gt3's and RS's were right at 150

There were a couple Turbos, one with a cobb tune that broke 160

GT4's were in the low 140's I believe.

My 991.2 C2 Cab that my wife drove there hit 137 with the top down!
Old 04-27-2017, 03:30 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
The 918 hit 174.

Gt3's and RS's were right at 150

There were a couple Turbos, one with a cobb tune that broke 160

GT4's were in the low 140's I believe.

My 991.2 C2 Cab that my wife drove there hit 137 with the top down!
Those are nice numbers for being a short runway. Must have been fun!
Old 04-27-2017, 03:55 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

it was an absolute blast!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:18 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Love2Apex
This was our first Smokies, and most definitely not the last. In Fl we have some of the most, umm, boring roads in the nation, so any good excuse to take Smurfette up to the Smokies, I'm there The huge amount that was raised for the fight against Cystic Fibrosis was incredible! ! The cars brought the people together, although the great people & great times were really the amazing part, with many new friends. 1360 miles in 4 days! Can't get much better than that...

My first day heading to AMP for the track day, I was 20 mins behind, as my spouse had a sinus cold and she slept in to rest up, well I came through some nice twisties and booya Red & Blue right on my bumper! Meanwhile the Valentine 1 never made a peep, ugh! I was very polite, mentioned how beautiful the roads and scenery was, although it didn't matter, the officer was there to collect a paycheck, so I got the full book, 28 over... :/ Then I show up to the track verrrrry late, barely in time for the tail end of the driver's meeting... Well, the rest is history, had a great, fun, fast day at the track.

A special THANK YOU to our supporting sponsor from Central Florida Simon, Mike & Walter from Driver's Choice Motors. They made sure that everything was perfect for the trip and completed the 1st service.

2nd HUGE THANK YOU to GMP Performance for getting us back on the road, when driving through the parking lot at Heavens Landing en route to the bathroom, a piece of settled concrete sliced through the inside side wall of the front right PSC2. On a Saturday at that, stuck at a private Airstrip in the mountains, with no local tire shops having PSC2's available. Here's the STORY... I thought who in the world would have PSC2s in stock, so of course thought of Hennessey Porsche, called them, and they sure as heck had 2 tires avaialble. Phew. Well, not so quick, they were going to be closed before the GMP guys could get to them and then where would they be mounted!? Who would be open, and then not to marr the GT4 wheels? So, I started calling courier services in Atlanta, nope, no one was open on the weekend. Quinton & Stephen from GMP mentioned they were originally planning to to to Road Atlanta for a few hours and watch the Mitty. Well, just so happens that the Hoosier tire guys were at RA for the race, so the GMP guys said, well, we could get them mounted there! Alright, now, how were we going to get the tires from Hennessey many hours away to Road Atlanta, and in time? I spoke to the service advisor Steven, and he was very helpful, we ended up working out a deal and when he got off work he was going to drive to RA and meet with the GMP guys to get them the new tires. Come to find out, Steven brought his wife's car to work, and was having her meet him there with his truck and little one. Then, Hennessy didn't actually have the tires in stock, it was an error in the inventory. Thankfully, with out calling me and freaking me out, he found a set at Jim Ellis, picked them up and headed to RA. The GMP guys took both front wheels with them and left Smurfette on jack stands, to return with the new shoes later in the day. Meanwhile I rode back in the GMP Big Rig, and Stephen took a wrong turn, well that wrong turn, we ended up down a windy back road boarding a stream! Turn after turn, mind you this was my first time riding in a Semi, we barely made it through, essentially triple apexing every turn that was only wide enough for regular pick up trucks! At one point, Stephen said, we have to watch out for the road breaking away on the sides... My heart was in my stomach! And I race cars... lol Then we come up on a small bridge that was no longer than it was wide, and looks like it hasn't been serviced in 50 years. I then ask, "are we going across that"? He replied, "well, we don't have any other choice." OMG. Well, we made it across, and then look back, there is a sign Max 10 tons, well this rig was like 30 tons! Once we crossed the bridge, we got stuck on the other side with oncoming traffic, some good ol' country folk starting coming out of the neighboring house and offered a helping hand with directions and how to get out of this pickle. Oah, yeah, we had no cell service and no navigation, so it was any ones best guess where we were going! After a grueling hour, we traveled about 3 miles total, and finally managed to make it out of the river/stream winding road and onto the main road. What an adventure... Meanwhile the other Smokies were having a blast on the Mountain road drive! So, right before dinner, Quinten drove my GT4 back from the airstrip and was super careful with the car and steering wheel as I'm a bit OCD about it. hehe These guys saved the day and went far above and beyond!

So, if that wasn't boring enough to read, here are some pics...
That last photo is the one I took and everyone looks great. And I didn't even think to jump in one myself lol. Great meeting you. Already signed up for the fall event!
Old 04-27-2017, 08:29 PM
gac1077
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
That last photo is the one I took and everyone looks great. And I didn't even think to jump in one myself lol. Great meeting you. Already signed up for the fall event!
Thank you for the picture, it was a pleasure meeting you.(loud blue gt4) see you in the fall.

Garrick
Old 04-27-2017, 08:31 PM
gac1077
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I hit 144 in the GT4!

Quick Reply: Smokies starts tomorrow! Official Smokies Pics Thread