Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK/LWB VS MT/18 ways

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:40 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm 6'5" slender avg build....I had LWB in my 2012 (997) Carrera GTS. Great on the track but I could have used an inch lower and back...but I took out the seat cushions so then they were fine. One the road on long drives they strained me.

I've never been in a 991 car. Is there more leg room/comfort with LWB in a 991 car?
Old 04-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

As between 4 way and 18 way just ask yourself this question;

Will anyone other than you be driving the car? If not, it would be silly to order 18 way. Once you have a adjusted the 4 way to your liking, no need to adjust again. Which is exactly what will happen with the 18 way.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:57 PM
rezin23
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

If experience is any indicator, the LWB will hold their value better.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:51 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
As between 4 way and 18 way just ask yourself this question;

Will anyone other than you be driving the car? If not, it would be silly to order 18 way. Once you have a adjusted the 4 way to your liking, no need to adjust again. Which is exactly what will happen with the 18 way.
Not necessarily the entire picture. The 18 way has many more specific adjustments. So if those specific adjustments allow to fit you better than the standard adjustments on the 4 way, then the answer is the 18 way.

For example, the 18 way has lumbar adjustments, bolster adjustments and adjustments to the front of the seat. All of these certainly will make a difference in seating position.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:04 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

... no offense intended, just a funny pic I found
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2017, 11:57 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
... no offense intended, just a funny pic I found
Lol, like Jared can drive, well maybe a school bus
Old 04-14-2017, 12:42 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
Not necessarily the entire picture. The 18 way has many more specific adjustments. So if those specific adjustments allow to fit you better than the standard adjustments on the 4 way, then the answer is the 18 way.

For example, the 18 way has lumbar adjustments, bolster adjustments and adjustments to the front of the seat. All of these certainly will make a difference in seating position.
100% - when I first bought the RS prior to delivery looked for cf seats.

18 ways are the way to go - supports lumbar bolsters storage ease plus the wife loves them.

Manual vs PDK sure seems like people are into resale / buying for the next guy.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:27 PM
NYCone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but it's right on my issues.

To start, I don't track. I use my GT3 as a DD in a mixed setting of highway and city driving. MTs used to drive me crazy in the city with stop and go traffic. I've also had 2 back operations and 4 herniated discs. For seating, I find I like leaning way back to get comfortable driving.

I got a build spot yesterday for a 991.2 GT3. I have had two 991.1 GT3s with 18 way. I tried a GT3RS with LWB (for about 15 seconds) and I really couldn't see the upright posture. A big reason I'm in the GT3 is the ability to lean way back. Lots of other cars have a wall behind the seat limiting recline, I never got used to upright driving.

Now to my issues: Am I a fool with the recline issue? Can I get used to LWBs? I am totally happy with 18 way, but am I missing something?

Finally MT vs PDK. I've only tried PDK. It's awesome. My 3 pedal experience goes way back to my younger days with a 240Z, and a TR250. 997 GT3s were MT, and no one was flocking to them when the 991 came out. Why are folks so obsessed with MT now? Isn't PDK the future and MT the past?

I'm asking these questions seriously. I have only ever driven my two GT3s, no other P cars. I want to really figure out if I'm missing the boat.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2017, 03:43 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

^Your "Gangsta lean" is due to normal driving on public roads.. (not a diss or throwing shade ) if you were to try and track in that position, you would quickly find out why a proper seated position is required when thrashing on these cars.
If I had any back issues I would not be buying LWBs.

MT vs PDKS -IMO, is simply a preference.. I tried PDKS in an RS last year and I was floored by it's performance.. But I skipped the .1 line because no MT.
MT is the only reason I would want the .2gt3
Old 04-21-2017, 03:51 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCone
I know this is an old thread, but it's right on my issues.

To start, I don't track. I use my GT3 as a DD in a mixed setting of highway and city driving. MTs used to drive me crazy in the city with stop and go traffic. I've also had 2 back operations and 4 herniated discs. For seating, I find I like leaning way back to get comfortable driving.

I got a build spot yesterday for a 991.2 GT3. I have had two 991.1 GT3s with 18 way. I tried a GT3RS with LWB (for about 15 seconds) and I really couldn't see the upright posture. A big reason I'm in the GT3 is the ability to lean way back. Lots of other cars have a wall behind the seat limiting recline, I never got used to upright driving.

Now to my issues: Am I a fool with the recline issue? Can I get used to LWBs? I am totally happy with 18 way, but am I missing something?

Finally MT vs PDK. I've only tried PDK. It's awesome. My 3 pedal experience goes way back to my younger days with a 240Z, and a TR250. 997 GT3s were MT, and no one was flocking to them when the 991 came out. Why are folks so obsessed with MT now? Isn't PDK the future and MT the past?

I'm asking these questions seriously. I have only ever driven my two GT3s, no other P cars. I want to really figure out if I'm missing the boat.

Thanks
Just my opinion :

From your description I personally wouldn't get the buckets. Get the most comfortable seats for this car,which the 18 ways are IMO.
I would also get pdk for your type of driving and especially if you experience any type of discomfort. Now those that know me would know I would never recommend pdk over manual,so there's that.
pdk is not new technology,it's been introduced in racing in the 80s. Also it is not better,just automatic. People buy manuals again because they are thrilling to use in a sports car.
Good luck!
Old 04-21-2017, 04:41 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 111 Posts

I second answers to these questions as I am in the same spot. Another interesting question is (I know we not supposed to mention) where is the age cut off desirability relative to 18/4 way vs LWB's.

Last edited by white6speed; 04-21-2017 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Add more questions
Old 04-21-2017, 05:25 PM
NYCone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
^Your "Gangsta lean" is due to normal driving on public roads.. (not a diss or throwing shade ) if you were to try and track in that position, you would quickly find out why a proper seated position is required when thrashing on these cars.
If I had any back issues I would not be buying LWBs.

MT vs PDKS -IMO, is simply a preference.. I tried PDKS in an RS last year and I was floored by it's performance.. But I skipped the .1 line because no MT.
MT is the only reason I would want the .2gt3
I was taken by your skipping the .1 and liking PDK. I was thinking about keeping both to have one of each, but that gets pretty costly...

What are people's thoughts about buying the LWBs and putting in 18 way after I get the car? Does anyone know the cost of such an endeavor?
Old 04-21-2017, 05:33 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMgunner
Ok, I've searched LWB weight, Weight savings, LWB vs 4-way and haven't found anything yet... I know it's nearly common knowledge around here so forgive me, but:

What is the total weight difference for a SET of LWB vs 4-way vs 18-way?

I read 10-20lbs but is that per seat or combined for both? LWB4way or 4way -18way?

Thanks in advance!
18-way: 128 lbs
4-way: 97.2 lbs
LWB: 73 lbs

Order for yourself, not the next owner.
I went with 18-way over the others because I could get the adjustments just right.
If I get an RS allocation it will still be 18-way, don't like the look of exposed CF, and if I ever find time to track I'll swap in proper Halo equipped Recaros.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:16 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCone
I was taken by your skipping the .1 and liking PDK. I was thinking about keeping both to have one of each, but that gets pretty costly...

What are people's thoughts about buying the LWBs and putting in 18 way after I get the car? Does anyone know the cost of such an endeavor?
Do it! I am sure you would be able to source something that matched your spec from various indy shops..
Old 04-21-2017, 06:51 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 111 Posts

Anyone know what the 4/18 ways cost from Porsche and is the car wired for the different seat configuration.

Quick Reply: PDK/LWB VS MT/18 ways