Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which color would you order for your .2 GT3?
Black
2.95%
White
8.86%
Guards Red
7.99%
Racing Yellow
2.84%
Carrara White Metallic
3.28%
Jet Black Metallic
1.53%
Graphite Blue Metallic
6.24%
Rhodium Silver
1.53%
Sapphire Blue Metallic
5.25%
Agate Grey Metallic
3.39%
GT Silver Metallic
11.49%
Carmine Red
5.47%
Chalk / Crayon
12.36%
Lava Orange
2.63%
Miami Blue
10.61%
PTS, or take this allocation and shove it!
13.57%
Voters: 914. You may not vote on this poll

.2 GT3 COLOR POLL

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:35 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
Incorrect on both accounts. Carmine, like other special colors, is expensive ONLY because PAG said it should be so. It has NOTHING to do with the clear coat, the quality of paint, the layers of paint, etc.

Also, some car shapes and styles lend themselves to certain colors over others.
It is visibly deeper.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:50 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
CR paint is thicker( or coated and extra round). This has been tested with one of those paint meters. I could not believe it myself
I agree that a paint meter doesn't lie but this surprises me. I'd like to know if Eduardo can add anything to this and if so, what are the thickest to thinnest paints?
Old 05-02-2017, 02:17 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

As a generalization, I feel German car companies does silver colors well, and Italian car companies does red paint better. Italians will say it's in the blood, pun intended.

The older color from Mercedes, signal red was a fantastic color on the older 1980's SL.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:05 PM
MerlinRS
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone have any pictures of carmine red Gt3s? Particularly 991. I tried googling but have troubles seperating guards and carmine
Old 05-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by SwissArtPrints
Does anyone have any pictures of carmine red Gt3s? Particularly 991. I tried googling but have troubles seperating guards and carmine
Go over to the GT4 forum( the "Cute" forum) and scroll thru the GT4 Picture thread. It is like the first thread and CR is on the first page.

In the shade or w/o sun CR looks way more distinct than GR then when both in sunlight
Old 05-05-2017, 08:09 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Great color analysis up there. ^^^^^^

if no PTS, I'm considering having a black car for first time in my life, jet black to be specific as it really looks beautiful in sunlight...WITH THE CAVEAT.. that I'll condom wrap it which has the amazing effect of turning black into a low-maintenance color. All the swirl mark issues disappear, it stays shiny, and is super easy to wash. Think of the condom wrap as the PTS fee to have the most beautiful GT3 possible with none of the normal black downsides.

Then you can get all fancy with the black wheels with red pinstripe too! Because nothing but nothing beats a perfectly clean shiny black car (if you can keep it that way for more than an hour)
Black is awesome... I loved it on my GT4 and like you said, I wrapped it and it stayed nice.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:17 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RealityGT
I had 2 friends who had never tracked or even thought about tracking, but they loved the looks of the LWB's so much that they went with them instead of the 4ways. I told them to test the seats out first, before their orders locked (GT4 and GT3).. They just recently admitted that they should have just went for the 4ways as the LWB's are impossible to live with for then on a daily.. LOL

Now if you have tracked before with buckets, these seats are pretty easy to live with.. If you have zero experience with buckets seats, you will be best served going and sitting in them yourself. The worst thing you can do is purchase the LWB's and they end up ruining your ownership experience.

Select with your head and not your heart.
Perfect advice.. since I lived with bucket seats, the LWBs in my GT4 were fine. My GF hated them with a passion.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:20 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lapis
Visiting PEC Atlanta today and had a consult with a Porsche Exclusive rep about PTS and custom tailoring options in their Exclusive options lounge. Nice.

Interesting discussion about colors ensued in which the rep echoed some of my previous own thoughts about colors.... namely, don't choose a PTS color that could be mistaken for or that is otherwise the same as or too similar to a standard color on GT3 or other 911. It's a waste and will probably not help on resale value. (yes, the rep actually brought up resale value on their own accord without me prompting that topic.)

having said that, the rep also said Gulf, Riviera, and Mexico blue are so popular they feel like it's getting a bit overdone.

Will do do a separate thread soon on some of the other details gleaned from the meeting today, of which there are several somewhat juicy and interesting ones.
Did she say anything on actually getting PTS? That's the most frustrating thing of this whole experience of ordering a GT3.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

So I am thinking to change my order from GT silver to Carmine red. I have to change some other options with it that result in 10K price difference. Not sure if it is worth the price, but I loved the color when I saw it in person. Never thought it could be so hard to decide on a color. One thing I am worried about is if the color will get old after a while.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

CR never gets old. You will smile every time you walk in your garage
Old 05-06-2017, 04:49 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by SwissArtPrints
See the attached link from a photoshoot HRE wheels did of friend's 991 GT3 in CR. Absolutely gorgeous! However, I've also seen a GT4 in CR with the throwback BBS wheels (gold inner with deeps silver lip) that is equally stunning. A bit of me thinks CR looks better on GT4, but I'd let you twist my arm to get in on a GT3.

http://www.hrewheels.com/gallery/por...in-gloss-black
Old 05-06-2017, 05:37 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
CR never gets old. You will smile every time you walk in your garage
Thanks! that's reassuring.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:27 PM
bellatrix
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

So I have a problem. A good problem: a first world problem. I have a white 2015 GT3, and an allocation for a July build / September delivery in Leipzig. I have a few more weeks to lock in colour. I like a lot of the colours. I use the current car, and I will use the new car, as a daily driver in the spring / summer / fall, and I take it to the track 5 - 10 times per year. I've used the current car for long (1000 km) road trips. My wife drives it sometimes, out with her friends, or to the mall. Circling back to the colour issue: I really liked the idea of chalk/crayon, especially after having seen a fashion grey GT4 last summer, which looked fantastic. In any event, I find (my wife first pointed it out to me) that chalk/crayon looks very pale on the configurator, and in some photos. Made me start wondering if it will be "different" enough to feel like a new car compared to my white one. The other colour high on my list is guards red, which I know I like. So yesterday my dealer had a chalk/crayon Panamera into the dealership, and he called me to come and take a look. It was a horribly cold rainy day here, so we pulled both cars into the delivery bay.

Here is a photo of the fronts of the two cars, white GT3 on left, chalk / crayon Panamera on right:

Another similar photo, taken a few seconds later after a larger cloud had gone over:

These two photos seem to reinforce that "not enough different" idea. But then a minute later, from a different angle:

The difference (in the last photo) and the similarity (in the other two) is slightly exaggerated, I think, in the photos rather than to the eye: but the sales guys all came out and looked and we were all somewhat amazed at how "white" the chalk/crayon car looked in some light.

I'm pretty sure chalk/crayon won't be for everyone. It is quite odd. But I like it. The two issues (one more important than the other!) are: will my wife like it, and will it stay "cool" to me, or will it just be odd?

I'm hoping to go back in to see it again in the sun, if the sun ever shines here again...

Any thoughts welcome!
Old 05-06-2017, 07:36 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

in the photos I see of chalk, it appears to have a warmish-red base to it....is that correct? If so, is there a grey with a blue undertone?
Old 05-06-2017, 07:39 PM
bellatrix
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
in the photos I see of chalk, it appears to have a warmish-red base to it....is that correct? If so, is there a grey with a blue undertone?
chalk / crayon has a slight red/brown tinge I would say. not blue-ish at all, as far as my eyes saw it

Quick Reply: .2 GT3 COLOR POLL