Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: How good is your driving environment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 11:24 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

Did you catch the guy using his turn signal in the cup car.

Funny
Old 03-06-2017, 02:06 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Hey guys, I have a full-length video of the Western Dragon I shot today. All 35 minutes. 345 turns. 31 miles. I will upload it tonight and post it tomorrow. I will create a separate post so people can compare it to the "other" Dragon. Curious how it compares, since I have not driven on the other one yet.
The east coast dragon is about the same number of turns, but in 11 miles.. if that gives you an idea. It's like a snake which coils onto itself many many times over.. also the east dragon has decreasing radius turns like you wouldn't believe, didn't see the same in west coast version. Not saying it's bad, just different
Old 03-06-2017, 05:19 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
3. Northern California: gorgeous scenery, unbeatable... but can be crowded, curves aren't very tight or flowing until you go way north of San Francisco, and road quality can be atrocious. Very few cops.
Had a good family trip up there, 2 years ago, on a "Guest Ranch". We flew into Arcata and then a lot of time in canoes/rafts on Klamath river. I hadn't realised how far North it was from San Francisco. Great scenery like you say.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Having lived in Alpharetta (parents still there, going home next week) and ridden the roads of north Georgia and western North Carolina, I can say that from a pure quality and quantity of turns, there is almost nothing to compare......

My ranking is thus:
1. Smokies: best turns, cambered race-track like quality, incredible quantity of roads, and scarcity of people so you can haul ***. Downside is lack of decent food options, no scenery, no cultural options, and somewhat draconian country-bumpkin "deliverance situation" cops if you get caught.

2. Italian/Swiss alps: amazing elevation changes, amazing culture for great drives through multiple countries in one day, but more "point and shoot" mountain passes. Also can get some crazy fines for speeding.

3. Northern California: gorgeous scenery, unbeatable... but can be crowded, curves aren't very tight or flowing until you go way north of San Francisco, and road quality can be atrocious. Very few cops.

WILD CARD: if you can get there with your vehicle of choice, the south part of island of Sardinia in Italy, is THE place for driving. It's just too perfect to describe, possessing everything you'd ever want in a driving Mecca... except it's GD remote and most people will never make it there so it's almost not worth mentioning. My second home in Italy is there, every summer of my young life was spent there, and I can say that if you do ED with your Porsche, you OWE it to yourself to put your car on the ferry and head to Sardegna. Food, scenery and unbelievable racetrack of empty roads awaits.
Agree with CAlexio about north GA and east TN roads where a few us are. Just fantastic roads!

Like many of us, I've driven quite a few of the mountain roads in the Alps and other parts of Europe but never the Sardinian roads. Thanks for the pointer. It's now definitely on my list of roads to drive.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
+1. Don't be stupid. Don't take unnecessary risks. Enjoy the curves. Leave the high speed runs to other people.
You left out, 'and don't do any PCA fun runs!' Did one PCA trip, was in the 'intermediate' group (should have been my first warning - do you really need 'groups' for street driving?), and our drive leader decided our average group speed should range from 85-110 most of the time, including on the interstate sections. Just retarded. First and last PCA trip for me.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:14 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You left out, 'and don't do any PCA fun runs!' Did one PCA trip, was in the 'intermediate' group (should have been my first warning - do you really need 'groups' for street driving?), and our drive leader decided our average group speed should range from 85-110 most of the time, including on the interstate sections. Just retarded. First and last PCA trip for me.
You're in a Porsche man, 85-110 on an interstate is practically cruising speed.

Quick Reply: OT: How good is your driving environment?