Sponsored by:

One Week Impressions - RS in Nashville

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017 | 07:39 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Default One Week Impressions - RS in Nashville

All,

I’ve been asked by a number of folks to post driving impressions of the RS so I’ll do so. I don’t consider myself any expert on Porsche. I’ve owned a bunch of them going back to the 996. I’ve had pretty much the full range - 911, Cayman, S non S, AWD and non, Turbo and non including 996,7,1 GT3s. Note: This is my first RS. I used to DD Porsche but in my old age (45) I’m lazy. Now the Porsche is a two or three times a week car plus a dozen or so track weekends per season. The RS will not be a garage queen. It’s going to get miles put on it. My guess would be 6K or so per year. It won’t be a collector car when I’m done with it.

After a week I have 500 miles on the RS so not a ton but enough to get some initial impressions. I’ve been very diligent about the break in. Using the AP approach so I’m currently trying to keep it under 5K. Thus my current assessment is limited to the general drivability of the car.

LWB - Clearly the LWB has been much debated. But one can’t give an assessment of the car w/o commenting on them. My GT3 had 18-ways which I loved and hated. I loved them because they are terrifically comfortable, highly customizable and still quite sporty. I hated them because I want to install a cage and harnesses so they were in my way. The LWB also come with trade offs. I’m 220 lbs and six foot so fairly good sized. The LWBs are totally comfortable and maybe even better on my back. I like a very upright position for driving and find the angle of the seat to be absolutely optimal. However getting in and out of the car is a pain in the ***. I’m sure there are tricks to it, I’ll get used to it, etc. but it’s annoying. Also you lose access to the back seat which is too bad for DD use (I like using it for my backpack, groceries ,etc. in the GT3). All in the LWBs are awesome - they really add to the “race car” feel of the RS. While they’re inconvenient, they’re a must have IMO regardless of whether one plans to put in a track safety package.

PDK - The RPM limit prevents me from fully assessing the PDK in the RS. I need to get it on the track to see how it differs from the GT3. I’m hoping the lower redline will smooth out some issues I found with it in the GT3 but time will tell. Like the LWBs the PDK is much debated. I love it. I’m a tech nerd (software company owner) so I love the computer robo-shifting. It’s so damn fast. Allows me to focus on driving rather than messing with the stick. I’m faster on the track with PDK. And I love the downshifts. The computer knows what to do and I let it. Full auto for me basically all the time. I could never own a manual car again. That’s how much I love PDK. Setting the money aside I would choose an RS over an R every day of the week.

Suspension (ride comfort) - The RS is on the same tires (MPSC2) as my GT3 and at the same pressures. I’m shocked to say that the RS is more compliant around town. I expected it to be rougher but I don’t feel that. Maybe I’m crazy and too enamored with the car to notice but I swear it has a smoother ride. The RS would make a terrific DD. I expect that I will drive it even more than I had planned.

Handling - Insane. I can’t begin to say how well the RS handles. I’ve had it out on a couple of twisty runs that I frequent and I can’t find the limit. My nuts are too small. It eats turns that I am familiar with without breaking a sweat. Laws and common sense dictate that I will never see the edges of this car on public roads. This was of course true of the GT3 as well but the RS is even better. It’s smoother and more confidence inspiring.

Twitchy - The car is definitely twitchier than my GT3 - or more likely I’m not used to it. I find it REALLY rewards light inputs esp. in the steering. Any sudden steering adjustment (like avoiding a squirrel) gets things out of balance more than the GT3 (I think). If I stay smooth with the car, all is great. Can’t wait for the track.

Interior/Looks - The interior is basically identical to the GT3. It’s fine. Nothing special IMHO. But if you want a luxury Porsche this isn’t the one. The exterior looks the way it does. Judge it for yourself.

Value - The RS is vey special. I was unsure if I should hang tight and get a .2 GT3 or seize the opportunity. There's still a little bit of me that wonders how I'll feel in March when they release the .2, but I can tell you that the RS is definitely a step up from a GT3. It feels different, sounds different and has a greater sense of occasion. I'm thrilled by the car. Is it worth 30%+ more than than a GT3? I don't know. But if you are on the fence about it, I'd pull the trigger.

That’s basically as far as I can assess it while limited to 4K (or so) RPM and w/o access to a track. My first track day will be in early April at Barber and I’ll update this thread then if people want me to. Happy to answer any questions in the meantime.

Also if you are in the Nashville area and need to sit in LWBs before making a purchase decision on a GT car I’m willing to help. It can be a tough decisions esp. w/o having a chance to sit in them and at least around here that can be nearly impossible.

Regards,
Tim
Old 03-01-2017 | 08:07 PM
CSLSuperfan
Advanced

Tim

honest appraisal given limited ownership time

Not had my 1.gt3 for long.

Would love to trade up to the RS but the UK market is bonkers at the moment. MRSP is just a dream!!!
Old 03-01-2017 | 08:20 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Wait til 8.8k.
Old 03-01-2017 | 10:28 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tstafford
All,

I’ve been asked by a number of folks to post driving impressions of the RS so I’ll do so. I don’t consider myself any expert on Porsche. I’ve owned a bunch of them going back to the 996. I’ve had pretty much the full range - 911, Cayman, S non S, AWD and non, Turbo and non including 996,7,1 GT3s. Note: This is my first RS. I used to DD Porsche but in my old age (45) I’m lazy. Now the Porsche is a two or three times a week car plus a dozen or so track weekends per season. The RS will not be a garage queen. It’s going to get miles put on it. My guess would be 6K or so per year. It won’t be a collector car when I’m done with it.

After a week I have 500 miles on the RS so not a ton but enough to get some initial impressions. I’ve been very diligent about the break in. Using the AP approach so I’m currently trying to keep it under 5K. Thus my current assessment is limited to the general drivability of the car.

LWB - Clearly the LWB has been much debated. But one can’t give an assessment of the car w/o commenting on them. My GT3 had 18-ways which I loved and hated. I loved them because they are terrifically comfortable, highly customizable and still quite sporty. I hated them because I want to install a cage and harnesses so they were in my way. The LWB also come with trade offs. I’m 220 lbs and six foot so fairly good sized. The LWBs are totally comfortable and maybe even better on my back. I like a very upright position for driving and find the angle of the seat to be absolutely optimal. However getting in and out of the car is a pain in the ***. I’m sure there are tricks to it, I’ll get used to it, etc. but it’s annoying. Also you lose access to the back seat which is too bad for DD use (I like using it for my backpack, groceries ,etc. in the GT3). All in the LWBs are awesome - they really add to the “race car” feel of the RS. While they’re inconvenient, they’re a must have IMO regardless of whether one plans to put in a track safety package.

PDK - The RPM limit prevents me from fully assessing the PDK in the RS. I need to get it on the track to see how it differs from the GT3. I’m hoping the lower redline will smooth out some issues I found with it in the GT3 but time will tell. Like the LWBs the PDK is much debated. I love it. I’m a tech nerd (software company owner) so I love the computer robo-shifting. It’s so damn fast. Allows me to focus on driving rather than messing with the stick. I’m faster on the track with PDK. And I love the downshifts. The computer knows what to do and I let it. Full auto for me basically all the time. I could never own a manual car again. That’s how much I love PDK. Setting the money aside I would choose an RS over an R every day of the week.

Suspension (ride comfort) - The RS is on the same tires (MPSC2) as my GT3 and at the same pressures. I’m shocked to say that the RS is more compliant around town. I expected it to be rougher but I don’t feel that. Maybe I’m crazy and too enamored with the car to notice but I swear it has a smoother ride. The RS would make a terrific DD. I expect that I will drive it even more than I had planned.

Handling - Insane. I can’t begin to say how well the RS handles. I’ve had it out on a couple of twisty runs that I frequent and I can’t find the limit. My nuts are too small. It eats turns that I am familiar with without breaking a sweat. Laws and common sense dictate that I will never see the edges of this car on public roads. This was of course true of the GT3 as well but the RS is even better. It’s smoother and more confidence inspiring.

Twitchy - The car is definitely twitchier than my GT3 - or more likely I’m not used to it. I find it REALLY rewards light inputs esp. in the steering. Any sudden steering adjustment (like avoiding a squirrel) gets things out of balance more than the GT3 (I think). If I stay smooth with the car, all is great. Can’t wait for the track.

Interior/Looks - The interior is basically identical to the GT3. It’s fine. Nothing special IMHO. But if you want a luxury Porsche this isn’t the one. The exterior looks the way it does. Judge it for yourself.

Value - The RS is vey special. I was unsure if I should hang tight and get a .2 GT3 or seize the opportunity. There's still a little bit of me that wonders how I'll feel in March when they release the .2, but I can tell you that the RS is definitely a step up from a GT3. It feels different, sounds different and has a greater sense of occasion. I'm thrilled by the car. Is it worth 30%+ more than than a GT3? I don't know. But if you are on the fence about it, I'd pull the trigger.

That’s basically as far as I can assess it while limited to 4K (or so) RPM and w/o access to a track. My first track day will be in early April at Barber and I’ll update this thread then if people want me to. Happy to answer any questions in the meantime.

Also if you are in the Nashville area and need to sit in LWBs before making a purchase decision on a GT car I’m willing to help. It can be a tough decisions esp. w/o having a chance to sit in them and at least around here that can be nearly impossible.

Regards,
Tim
Great intial assessment. Pretty much ditto to my impressions. As to the LWB....LOL. Yeah, what a PITA but they are fantastic at the same time. Didn't know that was even possible. LOL.

The RS does give you that sense of occassion which I think comes from it's looks as you approach it. It just looks the business and nasty. It has that "aura" of specialness. I mean just look at the damn thing.

I love the PDK. shifts are wicked fast and down shifts are especially a hoot. I would venture as fast as a true race sequential. Close. The mechanical noises also add to the sense of occassion.

I truly believe that an MT in the RS would take away from its nature, purpose and abilty. The damn thing is that fast.

Quick Reply: One Week Impressions - RS in Nashville