Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Things Can Always Be Worse

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 01:06 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Best wishes to you and your family, Robb.

Something tells me, you're the kind of guy I'd go into battle with.

With respect,
Phil
Old 02-21-2017, 08:07 AM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Very pleased to hear she is improving.

She is fortunate to have you as a son.

Best wishes

David
Old 02-21-2017, 03:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Thanks again guys. Appreciate all the kinds words and support. You guys are awesome!
Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2...investigation/

an article which popped up today on cnn.. this whole thread made me realize how much care and preparation I need to have when the time to care for my parents this way will come.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:15 AM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You are a good son.

I'm glad your mom is on the mend.

I would respectfully suggest you look into a "Continuing Care Facility".

Don't ask me how I know.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:26 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

an article which popped up today on cnn.. this whole thread made me realize how much care and preparation I need to have when the time to care for my parents this way will come.
Alex, I'm sure most of us will have to face this issue sooner than later. I'll be in this position very soon with my mom 86 and dad 90. They both have had a wonderful life with zero regrets.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:20 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob,
You are a great son, and I am sure your story is one that many of us will eventually face. Thank you for your "purge". It helps many of us put life in perspective.
Jason
Old 02-23-2017, 10:05 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio

Okay, that is screwed up. WTF?
Old 02-23-2017, 10:24 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
This is shocking, reminds me of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. So sad that your mother had to go through this experience. I'm so happy everything has worked out in a better direction. Thank you for sharing this, it certainly can do wonders talking it out. Well done Rob and give your mom our best from all your RL buddies.
Bronson, I watched that movie two nights ago to see how that place compared to the facility my mom was at. In the movie patients were playing cards, involved in therapy sessions, and able to have some sense of communication with others. They had mental issues, but they were still people. The facility my mom was at was much closer to The Walking Dead. Not one patient said hello to me, or in any way tried to communicate. They just stared, or said something crazy. 130-140 zombies.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:35 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Bronson, I watched that movie two nights ago to see how that place compared to the facility my mom was at. In the movie patients were playing cards, involved in therapy sessions, and able to have some sense of communication with others. They had mental issues, but they were still people. The facility my mom was at was much closer to The Walking Dead. Not one patient said hello to me, or in any way tried to communicate. They just stared, or said something crazy. 130-140 zombies.
No one wants to see places like what you're describing, certainly I wouldn't. I once visited a friend in a psychiatric ward of a hospital and that was bad enough for me. It's great news that your mom is now out and back on the road to recovery. Was visiting my mom and dad today and was telling them your story. This is why when we have issue's with our cars, we really need to take a step back and realize the bigger picture in life. Once again Rob, thank you for sharing your story.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
No one wants to see places like what you're describing, certainly I wouldn't. I once visited a friend in a psychiatric ward of a hospital and that was bad enough for me. It's great news that your mom is now out and back on the road to recovery. Was visiting my mom and dad today and was telling them your story. This is why when we have issue's with our cars, we really need to take a step back and realize the bigger picture in life. Once again Rob, thank you for sharing your story.
You are so right, Bronson. In the big scheme of things, our cars are very insignificant. But sometimes you need a jolt to be reminded of that, and this episode did that. Glad others benefited from the situation we went through, at least in thinking about what might be in all our futures at some point.

Thanks again for all your kind words, Bronson.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:55 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Rob: I went through something similar with both my parents.

While you mom is "competent" consider having someone appointed as Power of Attorney now in the event another episode occurs. This allows the POA to take care of her affairs if the time comes that she can't. I would consider as Pitt911 spending the money on in home care as opposed to a "facility" for many reasons.

Been there done that. It's hard in every way to deal with these issues. But they took care of you when you were young now its your turn. Circle of life.

I wish you and your mom well.

Quick Reply: OT: Things Can Always Be Worse