Sponsored by:

Sport exhaust stuck open

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:27 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Sport exhaust stuck open

Anyone had this happen? The exhaust flaps are stuck open. Not a bad thing, I like the more aggressive sound but I want to be sure it isn't a sign of a vacuum leak or other problem. Doesn't matter which position the button is in they are always full loud mode.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:30 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

As I recall in the old days there was a vacuum connector that could be unhooked to make this happen. (People did it intentionally for the noise). Maybe it fell off?
Old 02-02-2017, 08:44 PM
TimeWaitsFNM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you figure it out, let me know so I can stop pushing the button every time
Old 02-03-2017, 04:50 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeWaitsFNM
When you figure it out, let me know so I can stop pushing the button every time
Simply disconnect the vacuum tubes going to the valve. Cap the vacuum line and zip tie out of the way.

Done. Valves opened permanently.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:43 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

My race shop put BB's in the line where they connect so they're always open. I much prefer it cruising around town at lower RPMs.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Just to be clear, there are two valves; one for each exhaust pipe, They are located on either side of the center muffler. The vacuum line on each side can be plugged as shown in the pic below to keep the valves open. The vacuum line should also be secured so it doesn't flop around. (I think there were minor changes to the valve configuration after 2014 but the principle is the same). I did this mod but eventually returned the exhaust to stock as I felt there was a small loss of low end torque and the sound wasn't as pleasant as I'd hoped. Keep in mind that the ECU on the 991 GT3, unlike previous models, is designed to optimize performance with the exhaust valves functioning.

To the OP, I'd check your valve connections first to make sure something hasn't come loose. Also, you can reach behind each valve and operate the linkage manually to make sure the valves aren't sticking. If it's not either of those two things it may be an issue with a vacuum leak elsewhere or even with your ECU.
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Steve1788
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That happened to me once on a weekend drive, however it went back to normal after re-start. Loved it so much that I permanently disconnect the vaccume line the following day.

Quick Reply: Sport exhaust stuck open