RSR 2nd in GTLM and 1st in GTD at 24h Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
So how do you know where the RSR engine redlines?

The 2015 Mezger RSR redlined at 5 figures in LM guise last year in GTE Am trim
Well, if it can maintain 325 ft-lbs of its max 339 ft-lbs at 11,000 rpm then it's making 619hp.

And if it can maintain 310 ft-lbs at 11,500 rpm then it's making 679 hp.

Where do you think a reasonable redline is for this car? And how far down the torque curve (from 339 ft-lbs) will it have fallen at that rpm? Do you think you can make a combo that yields 700hp? I really don't know the answer, but seems hard to believe...

If this motor was revving to 11k rpm for 24 hours, that certainly would be good news for a road version with 8,500 rpm redline. My guess is the racer was not spinning much more than 9k, but would love to be shown otherwise (there probably is a way to know just by analyzing the exhaust note)...
Old 01-30-2017, 07:43 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Someone should be able to get this info. This is getting interesting.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:49 PM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Spoliers!
Old 01-30-2017, 07:51 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Well, if it can maintain 325 ft-lbs of its max 339 ft-lbs at 11,000 rpm then it's making 619hp.

And if it can maintain 310 ft-lbs at 11,500 rpm then it's making 679 hp.

Where do you think a reasonable redline is for this car? And how far down the torque curve (from 339 ft-lbs) will it have fallen at that rpm? Do you think you can make a combo that yields 700hp? I really don't know the answer, but seems hard to believe...

If this motor was revving to 11k rpm for 24 hours, that certainly would be good news for a road version with 8,500 rpm redline. My guess is the racer was not spinning much more than 9k, but would love to be shown otherwise (there probably is a way to know just by analyzing the exhaust note)...
I'm not an engineer, but I know a few on the inside. And more than a few drivers and others associated with the factory team.

I can only speculate as to the redline of the new engine, but I know the old one, from 2 different sources who don't know each other - one WEC and one IMSA.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter because (1) it races with a restrictor and (2) they won't sell you one anyway.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:02 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Interesting conversation. But I think it's irrelevant to discuss a race vs street engine, when the former is only supposed to last 100 hours at best. Yes, making it to 24 hours straight is a great achivement, but if a road car can't have that valvetrain design, how can we assume the street version will be bulletproof? I'm sure Porsche thought exactly the same thing about the current MA175 engine, and see how wrong that was. What I'd like to see is a production engine run like that. And THEN I'd be impressed and with optimism. Porsche obviously need more testing of the production engine (or production engine technology), not the race one.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:04 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

The exhaust note on overrun is pretty sweet and indicative of a high revving motor. I do agree that 700 hp is pretty far out there for a 4.0 L engine. I also agree that it is all pretty much irrelevant as none of us can get one , ebut important in the sense that it shares the basic architecture with the MA 175/176 motors in our cars. Now that is important and it is indicative that Porsche believes (correctly so) that the motor is good enough to race. Goodbye Mezger.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:55 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The last hour of the LM race was nerve wracking for sure- I think it's showing exactly how balanced all these cars are and that it comes down to a decisive move, mistake, or risk with the Drivers. The ford GT and the Porsche both snuck underneath the Ferrari into Turn 1 because the Ferrari lost just enough grip to slide wide. One mistake cost them two positions.

The rain suited the porsche Best- if the rain would have stayed Porsche had the rain advantage. The difficult thing at Daytona is making a tire last while you slam into the banking over and over.

The FGT definitely has an aero advantage and when running flat out in the dry the porsche could draft really well but didn't have that top end to really finish the pass. Coming out of the bus stop the GT would pull away initially and then RSR would draft into position through NASCAR T4
Thanks CJ
Your expert insight validates what I (as just a spectator) was thinking while I was watching the race.

My son Jack (11 yo) and I (big Porsche and BTW big CJ Wilson Racing fans) were hoping the rain continued to give Porsche the advantage.

The change to RSR gives Porsche a better chance this year. Hopefully will see it win allot especially on the more technical race tracks. The Ford had the clear advantage high end and especially pulling away in acceleration coming out of the slower corners. The RSR had the advantage it seemed braking later in the corners and holding the lines.

Compared to last year the Ferrari 488 seems big upgrade on the 458. Blew away the corvette on the high speed portion and kept up with the Fords high end while looking really good in the other aspects.

Looking forward to very exciting season.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:37 PM
911_RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Zero 9A1 failures. Engine is race proven!
That's good! What about the GT3R? Still uses the Metzger?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

I have to say that I really enjoyed the racing this past weekend. It was very exciting and lead changed hands many times. Reminded me of world superbike which is also very exciting.

My non-expert assessment was that the Porsche is seemed to be able to run with the GT's on the short straights but on the longer straights the RSRs would draft the GT's and again as CJ noted could not pull off the pass at the end. They seemed pretty evenly matched.

The RSRs did seem to have the advantage in the tighter turns and breaking zones.

As CJ noted the RSR also seemed to have the clear advantage in the wet and from what I heard from the early morning hours through the night ran first and second although I had fallen asleep I can't vouch for this .

The GT3Rs also ran great against stiff competition.

I agree that with the Ford GT's and Ferrari aero in GTLM and Lamborghini's and Ferraris aero in GTD at Daytona which is a very high-speed course and seeing how well Porsche did regardless I would expect them to do even better on less high-speed courses such as Watkins Glen and Lime Rock etc.

Remember while one Ford GT finished in front of the RSR, the RSR finished in front of three other Ford GT's
Old 01-30-2017, 10:51 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911_RS
That's good! What about the GT3R? Still uses the Metzger?
No, GT3R has been running/testing with the 9A1 from the RS since last year sometime.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:10 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

^ Actually since the beginning of The 2016 season.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:49 AM
911_RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
No, GT3R has been running/testing with the 9A1 from the RS since last year sometime.
Oh yeah... Now I remember!

Last edited by 911_RS; 01-31-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:00 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I have to say that I really enjoyed the racing this past weekend. It was very exciting and lead changed hands many times. Reminded me of world superbike which is also very exciting.

My non-expert assessment was that the Porsche is seemed to be able to run with the GT's on the short straights but on the longer straights the RSRs would draft the GT's and again as CJ noted could not pull off the pass at the end. They seemed pretty evenly matched.

The RSRs did seem to have the advantage in the tighter turns and breaking zones.

As CJ noted the RSR also seemed to have the clear advantage in the wet and from what I heard from the early morning hours through the night ran first and second although I had fallen asleep I can't vouch for this .

The GT3Rs also ran great against stiff competition.

I agree that with the Ford GT's and Ferrari aero in GTLM and Lamborghini's and Ferraris aero in GTD at Daytona which is a very high-speed course and seeing how well Porsche did regardless I would expect them to do even better on less high-speed courses such as Watkins Glen and Lime Rock etc.

Remember while one Ford GT finished in front of the RSR, the RSR finished in front of three other Ford GT's
The new RSR looks to be competitive if BOP remains equitable

BOP struck me as fair, although the race may have looked different if there had been no rain

Ford, Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette all right together and swapping the lead all night; BMW was off the pace, but I don't feel bad for them since they don't actually build a GTE/GTLM spec car - just a hopped up GT3
Old 01-31-2017, 06:23 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Very clean racing too. Great to watch.

Quick Reply: RSR 2nd in GTLM and 1st in GTD at 24h Daytona