Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RSR 2nd in GTLM and 1st in GTD at 24h Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:15 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Very impressive result for the new RSR ...........
Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven 666
Very impressive result for the new RSR ...........
Agree! Although, hard for me to get a read on the race. Way too many full course cautions - keeps bunching up the field. Hope IMSA adopts the code 60 strategy for the future - so any leads gained is not all thrown away at the next caution.

Porsche seemed to have the top end speed vs. the Ford GT - which is encouraging for Le Mans. That, plus tire wear puts Porsche is a good place!
Old 01-30-2017, 09:23 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

Great race! 911 RSR 2nd in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) class and the 911 GT3-R 1st in the GT Daytona (GTD) class.

I took this photo from the RSR #912 a few min after the race finished:

Old 01-30-2017, 09:24 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Patrick Pilet put on a masterful drive to go from sixth to second. The word was that the tires were used up by the end and in no shape to continue chasing the Ford.
Yup, Pilet put in a scorching last stint and it was clear the tires finally gave up the ghost the last few laps. He was fortunate to be able hold off Calado to retain 2nd place. Great first showing.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:07 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 108 Posts

This bodes VERY well for the RSR as it gets back to more "normal" tracks for the remainder of the IMSA schedule where the slippery aero Fords don't have as much advantage. The car is clearly a beast. The new motor clearly isn't lacking either. BOP was fantastic this year too.

GT3R is a beast too. I've been preaching this since the car came out that in the right hands, it's as good as everything else available. It wasn't until late last year that Porsche decided to focus more on factory efforts in Blaincpain, because every other manufacturer has been throwing full works efforts to help sell GT3 race cars. I think you will definitely seem more GT3R's in blancpain next year, and hopefully a full time semi-works or works effort.

So between Conti, GTD and GTLM, Porsche almost swept the weekend, with good ole fashioned NA motors. Not to mention, McPherson strut front suspensions in their customer race cars, against full A-arm, carbon-tubbed supercars.

Turns out that Porsche does know what they are doing.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:13 AM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

For being an 'enthusiast' forum, I'm surprised this thread is only 2 pages long

The IMSA race was leaps and bounds more fun to watch than any F1 at the moment... loved how Lambo was one of the first to crash and then later caught on fire... also really liked to see Gordon come out of retirement and hopefully help viewership

Did anyone else gasp right before the RSR took 2nd and the Ferrari was making a move?
Old 01-30-2017, 12:15 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,228 Likes on 608 Posts

The last hour of the LM race was nerve wracking for sure- I think it's showing exactly how balanced all these cars are and that it comes down to a decisive move, mistake, or risk with the Drivers. The ford GT and the Porsche both snuck underneath the Ferrari into Turn 1 because the Ferrari lost just enough grip to slide wide. One mistake cost them two positions.

The rain suited the porsche Best- if the rain would have stayed Porsche had the rain advantage. The difficult thing at Daytona is making a tire last while you slam into the banking over and over.

The FGT definitely has an aero advantage and when running flat out in the dry the porsche could draft really well but didn't have that top end to really finish the pass. Coming out of the bus stop the GT would pull away initially and then RSR would draft into position through NASCAR T4
Old 01-30-2017, 02:47 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

This answers the question about the RSR: "the 510 hp 911 RSR racers, designed from scratch by Porsche Motorsport in Weissach". The GT3-R's engine has to be similar to the RS's, and also displaces 4.0L, as mentioned, but curious about the RSR. Since the GT3-R's engine was referred as 'ultra-modern', does that mean the RSR is based on the Mezger?

At any rate, this was probably the best Rolex-24 I've watched. And that move from Ricky Taylor when Albuquerque opened a gap was brilliant, even if a bit aggressive. But those guys were at the receiving end of such moves, and ending up in 2nd many times, so it was a good tribute to departing Max, and a good call from the stewards IMO. Really pleased by Porsche performance overall. And contrary to that idiotic error by Pruett, elder Christensen still has the goods. And yes, this race was better than all of last F1's boring season combined. Looking forward to Sebring.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not the Mezger, it's the new DFI based on the RS
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2017, 05:00 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

so the GT3R and RSR engine are both 9A1s?

if so. mezger pedigree is now 2nd fiddle.

991.2 GT3s are going to sell like hotcakes!
Old 01-30-2017, 05:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
so the GT3R and RSR engine are both 9A1s?
Yes, but RSR likely has 6 individual throttles and a few other high-end tweeks compared to R.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:34 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Does anybody know what's the deal with both GTLM and GTD engines? Are they a version of the RS engine in both cases? They're obviously not the same engine, but would like to know what was modified. Lots of posts about lubrication being the achilles heel, and Porsche trying for 3 years to fix it. The great news is whatever they used on those cars worked, and hopefully it's the end of this embarrassing saga of engine failures. Just curious what was done to them, their displacement, and their redlines. Also glad to see the Porsche catching up the GT (instead of them just walking away, like on Le Mans), meaning at least this time the GT won fair and square.
GT3RSR and GT3R have the same block as 9A1.

RSR obviously highly modfied, lightened internals and materials. Chassis upper and lower wish bone up front. Oiling obvoiusly modified for race conditions. Engine likely will make 700 hp unrestricted.

GT3R I think is the same engine as RS/R 4.0L but with likely additional oiling for race conditions and other small race mods. Chassis basically same as RS set up to race spec. I don't think they run RWS either but not sure.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:53 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
For being an 'enthusiast' forum, I'm surprised this thread is only 2 pages long

The IMSA race was leaps and bounds more fun to watch than any F1 at the moment... loved how Lambo was one of the first to crash and then later caught on fire... also really liked to see Gordon come out of retirement and hopefully help viewership

Did anyone else gasp right before the RSR took 2nd and the Ferrari was making a move?
IMSA and WEC are the only racing I follow closely any more.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Engine likely will make 700 hp unrestricted.
A normally aspirated motor making 175 HP per Liter on pump gas (not Methanol nor Nitro Methane) would require incredibly high revs not possible with this engine configuration (4.0L Flat-6) and definitely not for a 24 hour endurance racer.

EDIT: I just looked at this calculator and the revs would have to be ~11,000 rpm and the max torque of the RS would have to be maintained to that point without coming down the curve at all from peak torque (which is at only 6,250 rpm) to make over 700hp. Several impossibilities here...

http://spicerparts.com/calculators/h...que-calculator

Last edited by GrantG; 01-30-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:50 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
A normally aspirated motor making 175 HP per Liter on pump gas (not Methanol nor Nitro Methane) would require incredibly high revs not possible with this engine configuration (4.0L Flat-6) and definitely not for a 24 hour endurance racer.

EDIT: I just looked at this calculator and the revs would have to be ~11,000 rpm and the max torque of the RS would have to be maintained to that point without coming down the curve at all from peak torque (which is at only 6,250 rpm) to make over 700hp. Several impossibilities here...

http://spicerparts.com/calculators/h...que-calculator
So how do you know where the RSR engine redlines?

The 2015 Mezger RSR redlined at 5 figures in LM guise last year in GTE Am trim

Quick Reply: RSR 2nd in GTLM and 1st in GTD at 24h Daytona