Sponsored by:

Here's at it again! In a 911R

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:52 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Certainly more interesting than watching Salomondrin and his crew driving up and down the streets of BH and WH...
Old 01-16-2017, 09:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
First of all, 911R is not "rare".. and even if it were, he's one of the few who is actually using it as Porsche engineers intended... up to and past its limit.. not staring at it in a garage.

As long as the world keeps buying sunglasses, which they will, He should have enough $$$$ to cover the tires and buy a whole tire company if he wants to LOL.

Forget the finances, it's all relative.. focus on his skill. catch the video of him drifting his 1960's gullwing 300SL up a mountain pass.. really cool stuff, evocative of old Mille Miglia movies.
https://instagram.com/p/BKbabL7BvGd/

His Instagram is almost on par with Chris Harris in terms of driving.. at times even better.. Harris never drifted a LaFerrari around the Nurburgring at insane speeds.
https://instagram.com/p/BLwRVLQB8tv/

Funniest quote of his" I am lucky that mileage is counted with the front wheels".. LOL! Sense of humor is pretty spot on

https://instagram.com/p/BK3vkiZBw7z/
Thanks, well said.
I never gave it any thought what those cars are worth or how many there are.. irrelevant.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:37 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,393 Likes on 724 Posts

He paid MSRP for his car and if he did not who cares. Why should he give s heck if he has the money and a vast collection of beautiful cars. If you had a vast collection if beautiful cars and you can have this as a Beater at $220,000 that is what I would do. I would beat this to death at that price point
Old 01-16-2017, 09:46 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice! What confidence with all those railings up the mountain.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:34 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

pretty cool what one can learn here from a little snowmobiling adventure .
Old 01-16-2017, 11:46 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 504 Posts

I don't get your guys at times.

First you complaint about someone buying a car then store it and not use it

Then complaint about someone using their car and not storing it.

Make up your mind. Should someone use the car, no matter how limited or rare it is, or should they just shut up and store the car without driving it?

So, will I be getting any flakes from you guys abut driving my 918 in the snow and ice?

One more thing, I am taking delivery of my R in Europe in February and have Porsche put on winter tires and do a road trip with some buddies.

Should I get flakes for driving an R in the winter snow too?
Old 01-17-2017, 12:06 AM
ablee2323
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. I appreciate the shared experience. Also, funny comments on the thread. Nice break from work.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:06 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

^Hey Whoopsy My error for starting this little snow storm with and ignorant post as who this dude is , snowmobiling in an R
Enjoy your new R however it maybe driven , and thanks for sharing as you do here your knowledgeable
insights into the P world i most enjoy to learn from

for me I spend my life learning, that I know , what fortunately I don't know, is the time line for that privilege.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:13 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,210 Posts

He did it because he can and it's fun. I do the same thing with the Cayenne in the snow (ESC off) when there are no other cars around.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:17 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Old 01-17-2017, 12:43 AM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Cayenne's are indeed AWD, but with the ESC off you can do some drifting. Not serious RWD drifts, but they will go sideways. I am not sure what the Rear to Front torque bias is on a Cayenne, but to me it feels more like a RWD with the fronts coming on with added power. My V60, which is also AWD, feel more like a FWD and the rears coming on with added power. The V60 does not really drift as well as the Cayenne. But I am just a Junior drifter
Old 01-17-2017, 01:17 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Who's complaining? I'm Merely asking for the logic?

Why do folks view someone looking to understand as complaining?????

I would even say I find it disheartening that so many are quick to be judgemental. Aren't open dialogues encouraged? Or should I just watch the video and clap with everyone else?

Sincerely confused here. Maybe it's me...?

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I don't get your guys at times.

First you complaint about someone buying a car then store it and not use it

Then complaint about someone using their car and not storing it.

Make up your mind. Should someone use the car, no matter how limited or rare it is, or should they just shut up and store the car without driving it?

So, will I be getting any flakes from you guys abut driving my 918 in the snow and ice?

One more thing, I am taking delivery of my R in Europe in February and have Porsche put on winter tires and do a road trip with some buddies.

Should I get flakes for driving an R in the winter snow too?
Old 01-17-2017, 02:04 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by sctanton52
The Cayenne's are indeed AWD, but with the ESC off you can do some drifting. Not serious RWD drifts, but they will go sideways. I am not sure what the Rear to Front torque bias is on a Cayenne, but to me it feels more like a RWD with the fronts coming on with added power. My V60, which is also AWD, feel more like a FWD and the rears coming on with added power. The V60 does not really drift as well as the Cayenne. But I am just a Junior drifter
With ESC off in snow, I find the Cayenne GTS to behave and drift pretty much like a RWD car - no difference in my inputs and the response. Added bonus is no worries about getting stuck in snow, with performance winter tires it gets through everything (so far).
Old 01-17-2017, 03:21 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,828 Likes on 4,790 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
Who's complaining? I'm Merely asking for the logic?

Why do folks view someone looking to understand as complaining?????

I would even say I find it disheartening that so many are quick to be judgemental. Aren't open dialogues encouraged? Or should I just watch the video and clap with everyone else?
I think for those who have stickers on their cars, as well as HPDE helmets, should not question those who drive whatever car they want, and to drive it wherever they want.

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
Sincerely confused here. Maybe it's me...?
Yes, it is.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:06 AM
Jangobipbip
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 34 Posts

Porsche especially GT and R ones are made to be hard driven.
This guy, no matter what he owns or paid, uses his GT3 and more other supercars very very well on the Nordschleife.
I think pretty nobody here, is faster than him. It must be counted on one hand.
Here, he is only have fun, as if a normal driver would do donuts on a parking, but he does it with a much higher level, that's all.
Personnally i have respect for people who use their cars for what it is built and engineered.

Quick Reply: Here's at it again! In a 911R