Sponsored by:

New GTS is out - 450 hp

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Porsche and Ferrari did a lot of engineering to minimize turbo lag with the 991.2 and the 488, and those two models have less turbo lag than any other turbo car on the market.

I expect that tampering with this finely engineered process by doing aftermarket tuning of the 991.2 or 488 would increase turbo lag, not reduce it.
Agree. Especially as the way that Ferrari "fixed" turbo lag involves artificially limiting torque in order to apply it more progressively - ie smooth the curve (I can only guess that Porsche did something similar).

In fact you can see tuning houses removing these limits for "easy gains" - in effect restoring some of the lag.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:55 AM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tqevo
Can a tune do anything about turbo lag?

It's possible but not guaranteed.

When Porsche did the tuning, at a minimum they have to keep fuel economy, CO2 level, turbos longevity in check.

With after market tuning all that restriction goes out of the window with engine response and performance taking all the priorities.

If you have aggressive tuning (for greater engine response) the turbos can die prematurely (before warranty expires) if car is driven hard regularly and/or in high humidity climates.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:04 AM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bardman
Agree. Especially as the way that Ferrari "fixed" turbo lag involves artificially limiting torque in order to apply it more progressively - ie smooth the curve (I can only guess that Porsche did something similar).

In fact you can see tuning houses removing these limits for "easy gains" - in effect restoring some of the lag.

It is by limiting boost (not torque) in the lower gears. Though torque is dependent on boost level in a forced induction engine.

More boost = more lag BUT more torque

Bigger turbo = more lag BUT more top end power
Old 01-11-2017, 01:20 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spyder Man
It is by limiting boost (not torque) in the lower gears. Though torque is dependent on boost level in a forced induction engine.

More boost = more lag BUT more torque

Bigger turbo = more lag BUT more top end power
Seems like a roundabout way of saying you agree with what I said.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:16 AM
UT911GTS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mecca

I just picked up a Focus RS and I'm going to have the exhaust and COBB tune done next week. Doing this after driving my buddies after his was done...substantial difference in performance. The car is a hoot to drive. Makes driving in the snow (in drift mode) a lot of fun again!

LYFE Motorsports here in Utah has been playing with the new 991.2 S and has made some nice performance gains with just an exhaust. When the tuners are out for this car (GTS), its going to be a beast! I'm a NA guy but the S with the new exhaust sounds really good.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:55 AM
Seranad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just configured the new GTS how i did my old and the price difference is only about 2%
base price increased 5% but PCM is free now which used to be a 3147 Euro item

not too bad
Old 01-11-2017, 06:43 AM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bardman
Seems like a roundabout way of saying you agree with what I said.

No it is not.

Ferrari used boost restrictions in lower gears to reduce lag, not torque restrictions.

Torque restrictions doesn't reduce lag by itself.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:59 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder Man
No it is not.

Ferrari used boost restrictions in lower gears to reduce lag, not torque restrictions.

Torque restrictions doesn't reduce lag by itself.
Lol he meant they reduced torque BY reducing boost so you're both saying the same thing. Unless there is a hidden dial labelled 'torque' in the engine bay.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:04 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Lol he meant they reduced torque BY reducing boost so you're both saying the same thing. Unless there is a hidden dial labelled 'torque' in the engine bay.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:55 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GTS fills the gap in the normal (non-GT) 911 line up for some one wanting rear wheel drive only but with wider hips.

Other than that it is a carrera S with a discounted options package added on (including most sport options).
Old 01-11-2017, 10:20 PM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul Graville

Reducing torque can be done via altering ignition timing and air/fuel mixture to bring down the efficiency of the engine and thereby reducing the torque output. This however would have increased lag and not reduced it in a turbo-charged engine.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:49 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Tuners will reduce lag with timing, fuel and boost but it might still "feel" laggier because it will ramp up to substantially more power. Picture an engine that runs one pound of boost. The difference between no boost and full boost is nearly imperceptible but on an engine that runs 40 pounds of boost, you can really feel the boost come in, even if it is very linear.

Quick Reply: New GTS is out - 450 hp