Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dundon Finger Follower Wear/Cam Wear Fix Update, and Engine Health Monitoring Intro

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017 | 09:16 AM
kaboobie
Intermediate

Any update ?
Old 05-20-2017 | 08:43 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kaboobie
Any update ?
The Dundon Performance Advisor os finishing up the last bit of software validation and I'll start testing and sharing data.

The solid lash adjuster finger follower parts were revised slightly to accommodate larger cam profiles (something we plan to offer on some of the larger engine builds) and were pushed back a bit. Better to do it now than to wait until later.

Should have an update this week on ETA for final parts.
Old 06-15-2017 | 07:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Is also useful and helpful data to have...
Just a heads up if you aren't already aware... The entire Bosch/Porsche software and calibration documentation for MED17.1.11 is available for ~$300USD. I do not have a copy (otherwise I would've freely posted it) but I don't doubt the accuracy. I know in the past that documentation was pulled through a misconfigured VPN router. Based on what I'm seeing available this time, I would guess that somebody found their way into Bosch's source-code revision control system.
Old 06-15-2017 | 11:38 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

PM'd you thanks!
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 06-27-2017 | 05:25 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

Wrong thread

Last edited by Porschenut_Lee; 06-27-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 07-30-2017 | 02:32 PM
kaboobie
Intermediate

Any progress ?
Old 07-30-2017 | 03:47 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Parts are getting closer to finished. The 991 GT3/RS Engine Health Monitor is also finishing up, all the CAN streams we wanted to gather are converting correctly, device is stable and the first 10 beta units are in bound this month! I'll be posting some screen shots of the data sets and how to interpret them soon. Summer is always super busy with family, track day support etc... the time goes fast!
Old 07-31-2017 | 12:10 AM
kaboobie
Intermediate

Thanks
Old 08-04-2017 | 07:32 PM
Performance Developments
Former Vendor

I want to bring all those interested up to date on the “solid” finger follower upgrade for the 991.1 GT3, RS and R engines.

We have been working hard these last few months on the design and all the associated analysis that is required at this level of engineering.

We have focused on a solution for the existing engine and included design features that will allow future performance upgrades. The finger pad length depends upon the valve lift curves, so future lift and velocity increases have been considered.

We conducted the following in the initial design of our solution. Kinematic and Kineostatic analysis, Static FEM analysis, Lubrication and friction analysis, Oil film behavior within the new design and Friction and dissipated power analysis. The new kinematic models enabled extraction of the valve lift curves, valve velocities and acceleration.

We studied all the valve motions and acceleration curves of the existing geometries and although we have a new pivot point and finger geometry we can keep the current valve lift curves.
This new finger design will require new cam lobe designs and has increased the safety margins to allow for future additional spring loads and inertia forces.

The new parts are due to be tested in a running engine by months end and upon all the necessary tests and inspections, ongoing production of parts will commence. There will be some minor machining required to existing cylinder heads for the fitment of these new parts.

As soon as we can we will make available the solid modelling of this upgraded valve geometry. We know that this finger issue has caused some to be concerned about the condition of their engine. We have isolated the cause, redesigned a solution using the current cylinder heads and allowed for future engine development which we are also close to completing.

Hopefully this will give confidence back to those owners wishing to keep their cars and give future owners of these cars an equal level of confidence that the car they may buy is trouble free.
Old 08-05-2017 | 09:59 AM
kaboobie
Intermediate

Thanks for the update. I'm just worried about the local mechanic doing this in my country would be able to do it or not. Is it a difficult modification ?
Old 08-05-2017 | 08:10 PM
Performance Developments
Former Vendor

We understand how important this is and how to make it available to anyone.

We have discussed this in some detail and further discussions are planned. I spoke with Jamie this week about this very topic. We have planned to discuss this in more detail later this month so that we can have it all sorted once the "static and in car" testing have been successfully completed.
Old 08-08-2017 | 12:00 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

deleted

Last edited by m42racer; 08-08-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-08-2017 | 12:13 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by m42racer
I have read the response from Porsche and what the review were from those at the meeting with Porsche.

I had several discussion with Jamie today regarding my opinions of the statement written by Porsche.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions but in engineering opinions matter as much as the time of day. Engineering is based upon facts and conclusions based upon relevant tests and the analytical evaluation of these tests. I have studied many failed fingers over the past 2 years, their metallurgic composition with expert metallurgists, discussed the DLC coating with coating experts in France who take care of most of the coasted parts used in Formula One, a world leader in Valve train parts, armed with this collective knowledge all have concluded what we had. That the issue is one of lack of lubrication. We purchased our own sets of 2016 cylinder heads, camshafts and fingers to conduct our own tests. There was nothing incomplete about our testing.

I also want to clear up the matter of Jamie being in the cross hairs of some about his incomplete knowledge of the problem. It is me that this should be directed towards, not Jamie. I have conducted the testing, established the cause, designed the solid finger solution for the 991.1 cylinder head and included Jamie in all of my findings. Your evaluation of any incompetency should be directed towards me, not Jamie or Dundon Motorsport.
I too am an engineer, and currently involved in a high-profile forensic investigation (not automotive). IMO, your statement oversimplifies the issues. Opinions do indeed need to be rendered, based on interpretation of whatever evidence is gathered and analysis is done. Testing is an example of that; a wide variety of tests can be run, and not all tests are of equal value.

In the end, I have confidence in Porsche's expertise, they have access to more info and testing and analysis resources than pretty much anyone else, and have backed their statements with a strong warranty which costs owners nothing.
Old 08-09-2017 | 07:24 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kaboobie
Thanks for the update. I'm just worried about the local mechanic doing this in my country would be able to do it or not. Is it a difficult modification ?
You should be rather worried what garage dudes are going to do when engines with their "solutions" are going to go off because of their "solutions".
I am still getting up back to my chair after reading that technical analysis bs.
Old 07-07-2018 | 01:16 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Any more news on these updates and insight ?

Quick Reply: Dundon Finger Follower Wear/Cam Wear Fix Update, and Engine Health Monitoring Intro