Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3: Is it right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 01:52 AM
Omi
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will a GTR and GT4 fit in the budget? Dont know how you modded the 997 but if you like modding then the GTR will be the best drug you have ever had. The GT4 can be the weekend car. Or maybe it will be the other way around.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:40 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a one year old and now have a TT incoming that I plan to daily drive. I thought I wanted a GT3 but realized I actually want to track too much so I will get a cheaper and safer dedicated race car for that. My car priorities then changed to a great street car I would use all the time. I think more time driving will mean more pleasure out of owning the car. After we had our baby the Ducati sat in the garage a lot.

If you want a car for special occasions only, a GT3, 458, or whatever gets your heart racing just looking at it is a reasonable choice as that's what you'll do with it most of the time. I don't like that personally - I want to use my toys as much as possible. So of the options you give I'd get the GTR to have a toy you can use pretty much all year.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:07 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a C4S with PDF, 997.1 GT3, 991 GT3, GT4 and now CPO 2015 TTS,
Depends. Drive some examples. Sound and engine magical in a GT3, manual and track fun in GT4, easy to drive around town. Sound also good but not as high revving as GT3 TTS has back seats and 560 hp. 991.1. AWD Deprecated to a GT3 level. But quite muted in the aural front.
Good luck
Old 01-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Mike: Your question "would it be wasteful" in your situation to by a GT3 is like asking "how long is a piece of string?"

It really depends on you and your priorites.

1. A GT3 is not a necessity. Unless track times are a priority and you have the $$$, but there are less expensive cars that will get great track times too.

2. If you still want a GT3 knowing the above in 1 that means you also want a GT3 for emotional reasons.

3. GT3 is not a DD but could be conscripted for DD. But..There are better P cars that are DDs and are great on back roads like the new .2 Carrera S and GTS. You will never approach the performance envelope of those cars on back roads no less a GT3. Maybe you have another car you can DD too.

4. If you still want a GT3 see #2.

5. If you really just want a GT3 for emotional reasons as a car guy, and having modded your 997 C2S tells me your a car guy then it's how bad you want it verses other factors in your life like $, kids, significant other, garage availability that only you can weigh out.

No one here is going to tell you a GT3 is not epic. It is. It's a straight razor on 4 wheels. It's a road weapon. It makes me smile and gets my heart beating a little faster when i just look at mine. I have owned a number of P cars and was always working up the chain to a GT3,.

Bottom line. It's a pure car guy's car. Weigh desire vs. Other factors. If scale tips to desire then buy.

you only live once and no one guarantees you tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.baa
Hi all,

It's winter here in Canada and that always lets the mind wonder while our summer cars are in storage. I'm on the "list" for the upcoming GT3 AND GT4 (no guaranteed allocation of course) and have just been thinking...

I know this is completely subjective and emotional, but looking for feedback from existing GT3 and possibly GT4 owners. I live in Toronto where traffic isn't the best. I don't track at all and hardly do I get the time to take my current p-car on backroads for spirited driving since i have 2 small kids that keep me busy. Having said that....would it be wasteful/silly for me to get a GT3?

Note: I currently have a modded 997.1 C2S

Thanks,
Mike
I currently have all three cars you listed. I've tracked them all, and driven them all at a variety of speeds on a variety of roads in a variety of traffic.

For your situation, I would just stick with the 997.1 C2S. It has some legit older 911 feel while still being modern enough, and is more fun than the other two when driving slow to moderate speeds on the road.

Sometimes it's best to enjoy what you have - attitude of gratitude - and not diminish that experience by imagining that something else would be much better (for you).
Old 01-07-2017, 01:08 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great responses guys .....
Old 01-07-2017, 01:42 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have read all your responses and I will re-read them all again with greater attention to detail. These are all valuable inputs. I really do appreciate them.

I feel I'm getting caught up in getting the latest and greatest simply for emotional reasons. And I understand that goes a long way for many things.

Keep them coming!

Here's my car for reference:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLtldNgg...en-by=mike.baa

KW V3 coilovers, H&R front and rear sway bars, OZ wheels, MPSS tires.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Don't buy a GTS you'll just wish you had tried the GT3. I daily drove my 991 GT3. Drove many days putt putting around the city with a coffee in hand. Porsche has done a great job of making these cars dual natured. Better resale on GT3's. Motorsport motor will change your life at 9k rpm's. No Brainer GT3. The GTS isn't any more livable and you don't get the fizz...
Old 01-07-2017, 02:35 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.baa
I have read all your responses and I will re-read them all again with greater attention to detail. These are all valuable inputs. I really do appreciate them.

I feel I'm getting caught up in getting the latest and greatest simply for emotional reasons. And I understand that goes a long way for many things.

Keep them coming!

Here's my car for reference:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLtldNgg...en-by=mike.baa

KW V3 coilovers, H&R front and rear sway bars, OZ wheels, MPSS tires.
Mike,
Beautiful car and good upgrades for better handling. Help us out here. What is about the current ride that leaves you wanting? Where is the hole you are trying to fill or upgrade?

For example when I replaced my 991 C2S I loved the handling, but wanted more power and crisper turn in, I wanted closer to Turbo power but not the AWD weight or understeer. I was willing to give up the quiet comfort of the C2S, air conditioned seats (florida) and soft ride. The GT3 fit that for me. It is a track car tho, not a DD and my kids are grown.

Just helped a good friend decide to trade his GT3 in on a GT4. He has a dedicated track car and a DD, so he was filling in a spot for a weeekend back road driver. The GT3 was not as much fun for him as the GT4 on those once a month drives.

These are subtle personal preferences. Without more info my suggestion is go drive them and see if any feel like a must have or decide what to change about your current ride to fill the hole.

Carmen
Old 01-07-2017, 02:59 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 591 Posts

i will caution you against GTR for DD. I have owned 2 of them , and they are stiff cars .Mostly related to RF tires with very hard side wall . I had a GT3, just sold, for 2 years, and agree with most, that despite it can be daily driven, it is a little cumbersome to do, with the ground clearance etc. Though GT3 is a softer ride overall than GTR.
if you can get GT3 without markup, most likely, unless major economic meltdown, you can use for 2 years , with minimal loss in value, which fits your philosophy, so win win situation , you try a great car , with minimal financial loss
Old 01-07-2017, 03:42 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

I sold a '15 GTR for a fully-loaded Cayman GTS with all performance and luxury options, and even though it's quite a bit slower, it's by far the more satisfying car to drive, look at, way lighter, much better balanced, better exhaust/engine sound, steering, driving position, and everything else. The GTR was super uncomfortable for trips with those seat cushion lips (and I'm a thin guy), ultra noisy, crap interior, etc. Drive one if you still want to consider one. I bought it blindly, and it was the biggest car mistake I've made (lost 30 grand in a few months). I didn't consider a GT3 because the still ongoing engine failures, wouldn't track it either, and because you can't order any luxury options. Every car from Ferrari to McLaren offer parking sensors, camera, nice stereo, memory, etc. If I was going to track it (which is what it's for), I still wouldn't have bought it now due to engine issues (no dealer anywhere close). Maybe the next GT3 will be better developed and I might own one. Good day folks.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:34 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Originally Posted by Omi
Will a GTR and GT4 fit in the budget? Dont know how you modded the 997 but if you like modding then the GTR will be the best drug you have ever had. The GT4 can be the weekend car. Or maybe it will be the other way around.
Yes, It would fit the budget if I chose to get a used GTR, which I'm more than happy to do. It's a combo I've been considering as well.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Originally Posted by CDinSing
Mike,
Beautiful car and good upgrades for better handling. Help us out here. What is about the current ride that leaves you wanting? Where is the hole you are trying to fill or upgrade?

For example when I replaced my 991 C2S I loved the handling, but wanted more power and crisper turn in, I wanted closer to Turbo power but not the AWD weight or understeer. I was willing to give up the quiet comfort of the C2S, air conditioned seats (florida) and soft ride. The GT3 fit that for me. It is a track car tho, not a DD and my kids are grown.

Just helped a good friend decide to trade his GT3 in on a GT4. He has a dedicated track car and a DD, so he was filling in a spot for a weeekend back road driver. The GT3 was not as much fun for him as the GT4 on those once a month drives.

These are subtle personal preferences. Without more info my suggestion is go drive them and see if any feel like a must have or decide what to change about your current ride to fill the hole.

Carmen
Thanks for the response, Carmen! I think a lot of the desire to upgrade is feeling that my car is old especially when I drive past all the newer models and when that happens, my mind starts to wonder. And getting a newer c2s seems like it's not really worth it in many ways even though it's superior. If I upgrade, I'd like a more dramatic upgrade.

I do like my car quite a bit, but the more I read / see the newer and better models, I can't help but feel the urge to upgrade. It's all psychological. It has 4 seats, so I can take my kids in. I can't go any faster than anyone else in front of me because of the bad Toronto traffic. But yet, there's this urge I'm struggling to push aside!
Old 01-07-2017, 09:45 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Originally Posted by pitt911
i will caution you against GTR for DD. I have owned 2 of them , and they are stiff cars .Mostly related to RF tires with very hard side wall . I had a GT3, just sold, for 2 years, and agree with most, that despite it can be daily driven, it is a little cumbersome to do, with the ground clearance etc. Though GT3 is a softer ride overall than GTR.
if you can get GT3 without markup, most likely, unless major economic meltdown, you can use for 2 years , with minimal loss in value, which fits your philosophy, so win win situation , you try a great car , with minimal financial loss
Thanks for the feedback! May I ask what you are moving onto now that you're out of the GT3?
Old 01-08-2017, 01:51 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 752 Posts

I see the dilemma, a similar thought crossed my mind because I barely drove my 997.2 last year and had to back out of a track weekend. Was too busy with mostly family time with our now 14 month old (toddler I guess). So not much free time to go out for a rip.

However I took a 991 GT3 out for a test drive in March. First drive of a GT3. Fu$kin ****! Amazing, seemed like next level to me as I haven't driven anything like it before. I already had a deposit down on a .2 GT3. All I gotta say is I'm really looking forward to an allocation. But also love my 997 for what it delivers. Yeah I don't have time to track like some do at the moment. But hopefully 1-2 times a year in the coming couple years maybe 3 and then I'll enjoy it whenever I get the chance to take it out. It'll be an occasion for sure!

Both won't see winter or be DD.

Quick Reply: GT3: Is it right for me?