Sponsored by:

GT3: Is it right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 11:33 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.baa
Thanks guys. I'm not in the "money is not an object" stage, so I have had to work hard and save for it. I just don't like being wasteful in general. The other option I had in my mind was getting a used GTR as a daily and keeping my existing 911. The total would be half the cost of getting a GT3.

My biggest gripe in the "decision" is, I don't want to be stretching to pay the premium on something I won't make proper use out of.
I think you should visit my thread regarding the GT-R as an option against considering the GT3...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...the-ledge.html
Old 01-06-2017, 11:57 AM
rellim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents worth
Don't like the looks of the big whale tales.
Will be going with 911 tubo s
on track & street.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Mike,

The GT3 is an expensive play toy. It's not a good daily driver. It's loud, relatively uncomfortable and extremely low.

It's also expensive. Not just the purchase. The tires are short lived and very costly. If you have PCCB, you could be out many thousands when needing replacement. If the .2 has a manual, you could envision an easy $30k to $50k of depreciation.

I would strongly recommend against any financial stretch for this car, which could become a psychological financial burden too (especially if you are married).

It's way better than a ferrari, but way worse than a normal 911.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:51 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
Mike,

The GT3 is an expensive play toy. It's not a good daily driver. It's loud, relatively uncomfortable and extremely low.

It's also expensive. Not just the purchase. The tires are short lived and very costly. If you have PCCB, you could be out many thousands when needing replacement. If the .2 has a manual, you could envision an easy $30k to $50k of depreciation.

I would strongly recommend against any financial stretch for this car, which could become a psychological financial burden too (especially if you are married).

It's way better than a ferrari, but way worse than a normal 911.
With all due respect, your claim is a serious and unlikely stretch!

IF they release one with a manual, while the GT3 RS' are still in delivery mode, which is a WILD speculation, i would not see much of depreciation on the PDK 991.1 GT3 as not everyone prefers the manual. There are a lot of participators on this forum but they do not sum up the vast majority of the avid GT3 fan base community in the world I would personally still want a PDK as it is my choice for track and everyday use.
Porsche's new philosophy on power delivery is efficiency and if you guys are keeping up with them, it is quite known that their new platform is Turbo or turbo + hybrid...
Now, As I said, I do respect your opinion, look back on the 997 GT3's selling over some of the 991.1 GT3 models with relatively low to high miles and maybe some of that is due to the manual offered, but some is due to other factors.
The 991.1 has a huge fan base and it is still going to pull strong for quite some time as the 991.2 won't be available (if released) for quite a while and when available at premiums the masses will still be trying to be the 991.1.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi, I don't think a GT3 or GT4 is the car for you. It sounds somewhat pointless. We have all subjective opinions here, and many will not like what I have to say, but the bottom line is if you have no intentions of ever tracking either car, then it's pointless to own. Yes it's an awesome car and it's truly amazing to drive...but you will NEVER harness and experience what it's capabilities are unless you're on a race track. I have a saying; Once you drive your GT3 on the track, driving it in the street is like sex with a condom.

I would recommend a Turbo or Carrera S. Both amazing and perform exceptionally well. Even by the random chance you find yourself on a race track, they are very formidable.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:10 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Hi all,

It's winter here in Canada and that always lets the mind wonder while our summer cars are in storage. I'm on the "list" for the upcoming GT3 AND GT4 (no guaranteed allocation of course) and have just been thinking...

I know this is completely subjective and emotional, but looking for feedback from existing GT3 and possibly GT4 owners. I live in Toronto where traffic isn't the best. I don't track at all and hardly do I get the time to take my current p-car on backroads for spirited driving since i have 2 small kids that keep me busy. Having said that....would it be wasteful/silly for me to get a GT3?

Note: I currently have a modded 997.1 C2S

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I can very much relate to your situation. I have a toddler, I owned a 997.2, I own a 991 GTS (best car I've ever owned), but guess what I just put a deposit on a 991.2 GT3, I will track it once a year and use it as a DD excluding winter.
I was as hesitating as you are, but at the end of the day what is the actual risk??!! You buy it, use it 6 months and if it doesn't match your needs nor deliver the excitement you are excpecting you will be able to sell it for the MSRP within a couple of weeks. Bottom there is no risk in this transaction but potentially a car you'd love driving for years
Old 01-06-2017, 02:05 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

so close to one of NA's great tracks....you should at least try Mosport once!

I have both GT3 and GT4 and find them fine for DD during summer months...I have a Sierra 1500 for winter and to trail the cars to and from track.

IMHO, either car is an obvious upgrade from what you have, and I assume living in TO, you have a winter vehicle as well, and to also tow your family around, so as long as it is not a big financial strain I would do it---obviously a stripper GT4 is $50-60K (USD) less than a loaded GT3, so that must factor into your decision if money is an issue.

As stated above, neither car comes close to Ferrari/Lambo/Macca for initial purchase or upkeep/repairs (ask me how I know).

GT3 engine and chassis is definitely more "special" IMO and always puts a smile on my face. Looks the business (but not as business as RS!)
GT4 MT is more engaging and very well balanced. Looks better than base 981.
Interiors are almost identical....black!!! (proper sports car color)

I would look into finding a Toronto RL member and have a ride in either GT3/4 to get an idea of the differences in both.

I will be up at Mosport for a few events this summer with Trillium BMW with both cars if you are interested...PM me.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:38 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks all for the feedback, and please keep them coming. I know all responses are subjective and everyone has different personal agendas, etc. But these personal experiences are what I'm looking for to really help me decide. My wife is tired of hearing about it, so it's nice to get fresh perspectives.

Thanks all!
Old 01-06-2017, 02:39 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by KA 991 GT3
With all due respect, your claim is a serious and unlikely stretch!

IF they release one with a manual, while the GT3 RS' are still in delivery mode, which is a WILD speculation, i would not see much of depreciation on the PDK 991.1 GT3 as not everyone prefers the manual. There are a lot of participators on this forum but they do not sum up the vast majority of the avid GT3 fan base community in the world I would personally still want a PDK as it is my choice for track and everyday use.
Porsche's new philosophy on power delivery is efficiency and if you guys are keeping up with them, it is quite known that their new platform is Turbo or turbo + hybrid...
Now, As I said, I do respect your opinion, look back on the 997 GT3's selling over some of the 991.1 GT3 models with relatively low to high miles and maybe some of that is due to the manual offered, but some is due to other factors.
The 991.1 has a huge fan base and it is still going to pull strong for quite some time as the 991.2 won't be available (if released) for quite a while and when available at premiums the masses will still be trying to be the 991.1.
+1

There is no way the 991.1 GT3's depreciate much more from where they already are. Especially with Porsche now ditching NA with blasphemous turbos. Only way they depreciate significantly is if this engine issue becomes widespread, and no one wants one out of warranty. IMO, any NA Porsche will be appreciating in value (especially GT cars) due to the industry wraith of forced induction.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:30 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Airbag997
+1

There is no way the 991.1 GT3's depreciate much more from where they already are. Especially with Porsche now ditching NA with blasphemous turbos. Only way they depreciate significantly is if this engine issue becomes widespread, and no one wants one out of warranty. IMO, any NA Porsche will be appreciating in value (especially GT cars) due to the industry wraith of forced induction.
Absolutely, for the same reason a manual holds it value for the PURITY of it, an N/A GT car will only go up from there and not only retain value but becomes an icon.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:37 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I think it comes down to how bad of a parent you want to be. Because that car WILL be driven.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:30 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

I agree with many others. You should go for it, regardless of how you plan to use it. How will the GT3 make you feel when you're behind the wheel or perhaps staring at it while in storage? Probably pretty darn good.

​​​As docmo said, what's the worst that can happen? If the car is not for you, at least you scratched the itch and you can sell without taking a major hit. I just see a lot of upside.

Perhaps it's a car you (and your family) will love for a very long time.

​​​​​​
Old 01-06-2017, 09:52 PM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

It's winter here in Canada and that always lets the mind wonder while our summer cars are in storage. I'm on the "list" for the upcoming GT3 AND GT4 (no guaranteed allocation of course) and have just been thinking...

I know this is completely subjective and emotional, but looking for feedback from existing GT3 and possibly GT4 owners. I live in Toronto where traffic isn't the best. I don't track at all and hardly do I get the time to take my current p-car on backroads for spirited driving since i have 2 small kids that keep me busy. Having said that....would it be wasteful/silly for me to get a GT3?

Note: I currently have a modded 997.1 C2S

Thanks,
Mike
If you don't track or rarely take a car for spirited drives at this point in your life, then how do you enjoy your 997.1 C2S? I'm sure you still derive pleasure from driving it in typical Toronto roads/highways.

If you do enjoy your 997.1 C2S, then you'll likely enjoy a 991 GT3 even more. I'm sure it's "more" of everything you like about your 997.1 C2S.....more visceral, faster in every way, and probably much better handling.....meaning you can take curvy on-ramps at much higher speeds.

However, I also agree with the people who claim that you would get a LOT LOT more out of any sports car if you take it to the track. This applies to your 997.1 C2S as well......it's a whole different world compared to driving in the city and risking your license to try to get a "thrill" of speeding illegally.

I track about 4-5 times a year in the summer (for many years now). Compared to my older cars, the 991 GT3 is a on a completely different level. Highly capable, and highly thrilling given the speeds it is capable of.

What do you use 997.1 C2S for? Is it a daily driver? Do you use the rear seats to transport your kids? Do you drive it in the Toronto winter?

If you need the rear seats, or if you daily drive it in the winter, then I don't suggest you get the 991 GT3. In all other situations, you can use the GT3 in the city, as long as you get the front axle lift and you are OK with a car which has relatively stiff suspension and is more noisy (you can hear/feel all the little engine/transmission noises/rattles).

Having said that I do drive my GT3 in the winter sometimes to work when there is no snow/wet salt on the ground.....like today!
Old 01-06-2017, 10:04 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

We're in similar spots. I have three kids, two of them young and requiring a lot of attention. Sports practices and events all the time. Run a hectic business, always busy. My driving consists of maybe a few track days a year (I just started so you can too... it's awesome!) and maybe an hour or two on a weekend with nice weather in the mountains. I'll take it out on a date night if I know there's safe parking or a legit valet situation.

I'm not really used to not driving my cars all the time so with this, it's led to the car becoming quite an occasion for me. I come up with reasons to get lost, I daydream about driving the car and the smile that comes on my face. Then, I get in it, and there it is -- that smile, that joy. I've had some pretty cool cars along the way and none of them have made me feel like this car makes me feel. It's not even close. It's special, it's a true driving experience.

I think the comment says it well: "GT3, if you can, you must"

I followed that a bit when I bought my GT3 but had no idea what I was really getting into. They don't let you do test drives. Loved the GT3 so much I got rid of it a month later......... for an RS. Because if you can, you must... I guess.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Have you considered a 911 GTS?

I current have a 996 GT3 that I track and a Cayenne tow vehicle but I really like the new Panamera.......
My friends that I track with have changed priority, either track more or less. The new 991.2 S with rear wheel steering is only 1 sec off the 991.1 GT3 at Leguna Seca.
Now I'm thinking about trading the Cayenne and GT3 for a Panamera and a 911s. Hummmm

Quick Reply: GT3: Is it right for me?