Old 12-26-2016 | 04:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Wow- pretty nutty and stupid
Old 12-26-2016 | 05:09 PM
mcipseric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Therein lies a big part of the problem. Basically all of the LA area mountain and canyon roads are double-yellows end-to-end, with infrequent turn-outs rarely used by slower traffic; along with ridiculously low speed limits that are generally disregarded, so have the rules of passing on double-yellows.
this - with infrequent turn-outs rarely used by slower traffic
Old 12-26-2016 | 05:29 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Therein lies a big part of the problem. Basically all of the LA area mountain and canyon roads are double-yellows end-to-end, with infrequent turn-outs rarely used by slower traffic; along with ridiculously low speed limits that are generally disregarded, so have the rules of passing on double-yellows.
It does not seem to be the main cause in this case - the driver disregarded common sense as well, going into the opposing traffic lane without sufficient forward visibility. Extremely stupid and irresponsible. I'd never do it regardless of the lane markings.

But I agree with your point in general. I grew up mostly with traffic markings that made sense, so I obey things like double-yellow or stop sign as if I'm going to be shot dead for not obeying. But after first coming to California on a drive around So Cal, I got stuck for over two hours on a stretch of a road behind a group of RVs doing 20 MPH under the speed limit. They have not used turnouts, of course. We missed a dinner because of them. The road was rather straight much of the way, so passing would have been safe. I can imagine many people passing in such situations, and then eventually starting to treat double-yellow as if it means nothing. Same with stop signs - if you have one in every intersection, regardless of whether it makes sense 1) everyone forgets right of the way rules; 2) many start ignoring stop signs, and authorities have to resort to putting gigantic stop signs and additional warning signs before it - "Look there is a stop sign that actually matters coming" further reinforcing the idea that normal stop signs are just a prank or something like that.

Speed limits in Canada are like that - 100 KM/H (62 MPH) limit on a perfectly straight endless road with all 4-5 lanes of traffic going 130-140 KM/H (~ 85MPH) all the time every single car. It's like some kind of a peaceful civic disobedience act. </rant>
Old 12-26-2016 | 05:36 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mcipseric
this - with infrequent turn-outs rarely used by slower traffic
I hear both of you, and I know how frustrating it can be.

With that in mind, there are situations where it might make sense to pass on the double yellows (no traffic, far visibility, good conditions, etc), and then there's this *******.

F uck the guy in the video. If he wants to kill himself, by all means have at it. We've all done stupid s hit to varying degrees on the road. But to blatantly put others at such a high degree of risk is criminal.
Old 12-26-2016 | 05:41 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

I hear you on that, but it's not about lines in this case, as somebody else already said. I've also seen broken lines (okay to pass) where it's quite dangerous to pass, and I'd never do it. It's all about common sense. That guy was on a murder/suicide mission IMO. Wonder if the CHP would do something about that if somebody posts this thread on their website.
Old 12-26-2016 | 06:06 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I hear you on that, but it's not about lines in this case, as somebody else already said. I've also seen broken lines (okay to pass) where it's quite dangerous to pass, and I'd never do it. It's all about common sense. That guy was on a murder/suicide mission IMO. Wonder if the CHP would do something about that if somebody posts this thread on their website.

That's exactly what should be done.
Old 12-26-2016 | 06:32 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

WOW! You all guys just pissed your pants just because he overtook a lane of ***** drivers?
He just lost his patience.
Old 12-26-2016 | 06:48 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qbix
WOW! You all guys just pissed your pants just because he overtook a lane of ***** drivers?
No! Folks are expressing their annoyance at the fellows reckless driving with endangerment to other road users! There's plenty there to be annoyed about.

It has nothing to do with patience. If it is, he should NOT be driving at all!
Old 12-26-2016 | 07:09 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

I had a close friend lose his life to someone who crossed a double yellow in Virginia.

You want to tell his family that it was okay because the person who hit him just lost their patience?
Old 12-26-2016 | 07:27 PM
ieatfishburritos
Instructor

Those are not problems - this is a public roadway and not a racetrack. Coming across common folks using it as a road on their way to a hiking path or park, typically going the speed limit, should be expected. It's not required for these folks, whom are typically driving near the posted speed limit, to pull over and let a canyon carver pass. It should be expected to run into this situation and it's not justification for this type of behavior. Take it to the god damn track if you can't be patient.
Old 12-26-2016 | 07:37 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

The improved image above is missing a number or letter, maybe more but if complete:
https://www.searchquarry.com/vehicle...kV8aAgYR8P8HAQ
Old 12-26-2016 | 07:38 PM
Matt Justin
Intermediate

Yeah. That's why when I lose my patience, I cross double yellows, run through red lights, drive on sidewalks, blow stop signs, mow down the one or two pedestrians that always seem to get in my way. Don't those annoying pedestrians understand? I have places to be! Following the law is for nerds!

Old 12-26-2016 | 07:53 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Why do a bunch of grown men need to virtue signal to each other about how chaste they are behind the wheel?
Old 12-26-2016 | 07:57 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Wow, unbelievable. Should have his /her license yanked.
Old 12-26-2016 | 10:00 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ieatfishburritos
Those are not problems - this is a public roadway and not a racetrack. Coming across common folks using it as a road on their way to a hiking path or park, typically going the speed limit, should be expected. It's not required for these folks, whom are typically driving near the posted speed limit, to pull over and let a canyon carver pass. It should be expected to run into this situation and it's not justification for this type of behavior. Take it to the god damn track if you can't be patient.
MaxLTV got my point. You missed it.

Quick Reply: is this anyone here?