Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 RS no tire temp sensor with TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:03 PM
marcvv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 RS no tire temp sensor with TPMS?

Was curious why Porsche didn't also have tire temp along with pressure readings for TPMS on the RS? Unless I'm missing it in another screen?

All my BMW's have both pressure and temp and it's great on track to know both. Anyone have a theory why Porsche left this functionality off the RS?

Also hope to break in my RS early spring and get to the track. What is the best break in heat cycle method for the tires on the GT3 RS? Do a few laps at 8/10th?

thanks
Old 12-20-2016, 05:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

PSI only. Haven't heard to tire temps in a car, special BMW's.
Don't need to break in tires, just go easy for 2 laps to get the pressure up.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:31 PM
marcvv
Advanced

My M5 and wife's '15 X5 even has tire temp. Many of the bmw's have tire temp and even of many that don't, it can be coded to enable it. When on the track at BMW M school we used both temp and pressure quite a bit. You can see the tires get slippery and feel it at specific temps on track at least letting you know traction is being lost from excess heat.

Anyway, it is nice to have and the technology seems to be available. For a 200k racing porsche I thought they would also have tire temp like all the M cars.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Cool, I had no idea. Thanks for posting.
WTF doesn't my 200K track car not have that is an excellent question marcvv!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:59 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Don't need to break in tires, just go easy for 2 laps to get the pressure up.
+1

I asked Michelin about heat cycling/curing and they said that there's no need for that. (MPSC2)
Old 12-20-2016, 08:50 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Taking tire temps to optimize tire pressure should be done properly by reading across the face of the tire, i.e inside face , middle, outer face. I am not aware of an onboard tire temp gauge that can provide that type of detailed readout information. So I would guess Porsche decided that just a simple "one read out fits all" didn't really give much useful information and didn't justify the effort.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:04 PM
marcvv
Advanced

FYI I just was driving my 458 and totally forgot the Ferrari has tire temps too. I think all current models have them as well as a few of the previous generations.

So BMW and Ferrari have it but not Porsche which is why I thought I might have just missed the screen for it. I do not know if Mclaren has tire temp sensors or not but am curious.

GregJGT3 - you are correct that ideally temps should be taken across the face of the tire. Even though the tpms isn't ideal it is a very helpful data point. For example I've seen tires down at 45 degrees and others over 140. Even if I don't have the face readout it is good to get the instant temp feedback just to get a decent idea where you might be. Also if you realize your tires start to give up at X temp based on the tpms then you at least can keep an eye on that as the tpms is relatively consistent in what it reports.

Anyway it's a "nice to have" feature. Maybe future Porsche models will incorporate temp sensors along with the pressure.

On a sidenote had decent weather today here in Northeast so got the GT3 RS and the 458 out to stretch their legs and keep those nasty winter flat spots off those cold tires!
Old 12-23-2016, 03:03 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by marcvv
FYI I just was driving my 458 and totally forgot the Ferrari has tire temps too. I think all current models have them as well as a few of the previous generations.

So BMW and Ferrari have it but not Porsche which is why I thought I might have just missed the screen for it. I do not know if Mclaren has tire temp sensors or not but am curious.

GregJGT3 - you are correct that ideally temps should be taken across the face of the tire. Even though the tpms isn't ideal it is a very helpful data point. For example I've seen tires down at 45 degrees and others over 140. Even if I don't have the face readout it is good to get the instant temp feedback just to get a decent idea where you might be. Also if you realize your tires start to give up at X temp based on the tpms then you at least can keep an eye on that as the tpms is relatively consistent in what it reports.

Anyway it's a "nice to have" feature. Maybe future Porsche models will incorporate temp sensors along with the pressure.

On a sidenote had decent weather today here in Northeast so got the GT3 RS and the 458 out to stretch their legs and keep those nasty winter flat spots off those cold tires!
I agree. It may not be ideal, but it still is a data point that can be used.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:25 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 534 Posts

Is the tire temp noted just an extrapolation from the tire pressure delta?
Old 12-23-2016, 10:08 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Is the tire temp noted just an extrapolation from the tire pressure delta?
I'm pretty sure it's actual internal tire/wheel temp in the 458
Not a Charles/Boyle interpretation
Old 12-25-2016, 02:28 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by marcvv
I think all current models have them as well as a few of the previous generations.
Don't think so: 2007 F430 nor 2011 Cali had them. And yes, McLarens have it, but not sure about the new 'baby' 570.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:25 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Mclaren has tire temps also. Not as accurate as a laser gauge to three spots across but when i am tracking the P1 or LT and I see that one tire is at 177* and three others are at 150 I know I need to stop drifting.

The highest tire temps I've seen indicated on my macs are over 185* and that is only going about 90% Chris Harris

Quick Reply: GT3 RS no tire temp sensor with TPMS?