Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: BMW M2

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 08:38 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

How is the DCT (or whatever it's called these days)? I have zero interest in stick but I would like a car to cut back on the miles I'm racking up on the RS (avg. 2K a month right now!). Considering a PDK 718S but M2 makes sense as well.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:53 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

DCT is Good, IMO. Fast shifts and can be violent when in full aggressive manual mode. Whats nice is the amount of settings and combinations you can have with the different modes.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:54 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
So not wanting to be constrained going to the track, today I went and test drove an M2. Very nice car. Instant fun. It steers well, rides well, goes well, stops well and sounds good....so I ordered one. I am looking forward to it joining the GT3 in the garage.
Its very ordinary, seconds slower than a 718S round a track - huge margin, DCT 5 years behind PDK - awful interior. Sorry but M2, M3, M4 and M5 are dreadful. BMW sold the M badge a long time ago.

Its a **** box why would it even be OT in a GT3 RS forum - seriously?

Great, why post this - its not fast, it doesn't go round corners that well.........
Old 04-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Its very ordinary, seconds slower than a 718S round a track - huge margin, DCT 5 years behind PDK - awful interior. Sorry but M2, M3, M4 and M5 are dreadful. BMW sold the M badge a long time ago.

Its a **** box why would it even be OT in a GT3 RS forum - seriously?

Great, why post this - its not fast, it doesn't go round corners that well.........
Now are you sure you don't like it? It's not quite clear.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I acknowledged that it's not as good as 718S but a similarly spec'ed 718S is 30,000 euro more expensive. As a 2nd track car to my GT3, it's fun. I like it and that's all that matters. I also note that a number of other Rennlisters on this board have bought one too.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:09 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least its got a 6 cylinder and not sound like Subaru
Old 04-14-2017, 02:33 PM
atc5
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was on track at Sonoma last weekend with a guy that had a new M2.

Clearly a skilled driver was driving it, but man that thing ripped and looked like it handled really well.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:55 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

I bought an M2 recently (I have 2k miles now). I replaced a '15 Golf R for my DD. That car was seriously soulless and boring.

My fun/track car is the GT4. I wanted something to daily drive that I didn't feel like was a huge compromise. The M2 is definitely it. (oh and BTW, it fits a toddler seat in the back unlike the 718s).

I suppose I have a thing for "parts bin" cars. But I must say the M2 exceeded all of my expectations. It can seriously rip. I have the DCT and that sucker will scratch in 2nd gear with TC on no joke. It sounds really good, handles well. Back road ripping all day long and it just takes it. It's the right size. The M3/4 are just too darn big for tight back road driving.

My major complaint is the car has a coffee cup sized gas tank, and I have a dash rattle. So you guys with high quality standards may be disappointed by the interior.

I tried the M3/4 and ended up buying the M2 because it's the only new car you can buy that feels like a proper successor to the E46 M3.

The torque down low also makes it fun to commute and scoot around town. The DCT is miles above any VW/Audi DSG product. I'm very happy with the car and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a daily driver.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:36 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,738 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
I bought an M2 recently (I have 2k miles now). I replaced a '15 Golf R for my DD. That car was seriously soulless and boring.

My fun/track car is the GT4. I wanted something to daily drive that I didn't feel like was a huge compromise. The M2 is definitely it. (oh and BTW, it fits a toddler seat in the back unlike the 718s).

I suppose I have a thing for "parts bin" cars. But I must say the M2 exceeded all of my expectations. It can seriously rip. I have the DCT and that sucker will scratch in 2nd gear with TC on no joke. It sounds really good, handles well. Back road ripping all day long and it just takes it. It's the right size. The M3/4 are just too darn big for tight back road driving.

My major complaint is the car has a coffee cup sized gas tank, and I have a dash rattle. So you guys with high quality standards may be disappointed by the interior.

I tried the M3/4 and ended up buying the M2 because it's the only new car you can buy that feels like a proper successor to the E46 M3.

The torque down low also makes it fun to commute and scoot around town. The DCT is miles above any VW/Audi DSG product. I'm very happy with the car and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a daily driver.
Statements like this puzzle me.

I owned an E46 M3 and, while that car was great, it lacked low end torque. The S54 begged to be revved to the 8k redline.

The turbocharged I-6 in the M2 lacks the visceral urgency you get with the E46 M3 -- the need to rev and rev and rev some more.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:36 AM
Gtsilvergt4
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911

Cool.

I pick up my mineral gray manual M2 in 3 weeks.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:46 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Statements like this puzzle me.

I owned an E46 M3 and, while that car was great, it lacked low end torque. The S54 begged to be revved to the 8k redline.

The turbocharged I-6 in the M2 lacks the visceral urgency you get with the E46 M3 -- the need to rev and rev and rev some more.
Sorry I wasn't clear. The m2 size and handling feel like the E46. Not the engine.

I meant as a separate thought that the engine for the M2 is good for DD because of the low end torque, and it pulls hard.

Yeah the S54 is a revver. Still fun though, those cars have a lot of character. The new M3/4 I feel like they are brutally fast but in my short test drive they feel too big.

Just an opinion.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:42 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

After only 6 days ownership, I took my new M2 to Hockenheim last Wednesday. Had just under 2,000 km on the clock by the time we got to the track. We then did 350kms on the track before driving another 450kms home. It ran flawlessly all day.

Overall impression is that it's a good fun car. Very well balanced. Easy to drift. Not snappy like M3/M4.

But it did feel a tad slow compared to what I was expecting to the extent that my buddy and I wondered out loud if BMW somehow limits the power until the first service. Will be interesting to see if the car feels any different after it goes in next week.

The day was split into two alternating groups of cars - track/race cars and road cars. There were only about 30 cars in the road car group. Most were GT3s, GT3 RSs and GT4s so it was an interesting comparison running in (or more accurately, trying to run in) a pack of Pcars.

You can see in my video that we actually passed a GT3 but it wasn't being particularly well driven at the time. In a straight line, it disappears into the distance.

On lap 2 you can see just how much faster a well driven GT4 is compared to an M2 and, make no mistakes, we had the accelerator pinned....although we were two up so carrying an extra 170 lbs.

But you know what, it didn't matter that it was slower because my buddy and I spent a lot of time giggling and laughing out loud because it's such a fun car. And isn't that one of the most important factors?

Attached Images   
Old 04-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

For me- I think it is good looking car. Proportions are right. Better looking than the out going M3/M4. For the money it looks like a heck of a value proposition for a DD that you just want to throw around.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:58 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

My M2 lap times - KW / Re71r tires / carbotech Pads -
wsir - 1:30:6
buttonwillow c13 - 1:57:2
autoclub speedway - 1:49:6

So it does pretty well and is fun
Some sliding at buttonwillow...

Old 04-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Are M2 allocations readily available yet? I want one but, like with Porsche, I refuse to deal with dealer BS.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:17 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 120 Posts

1:57 is really no joke of a laptime. Honestly, no need to go faster than that in a road car sedan without cage / harness.

Alan,
It's not a limited production car, so you should be able to get one from somewhere, but not sure about LA dealers. On the bimmerpost M2 forum, people regularly post MSRP deals.

Quick Reply: OT: BMW M2